BY THE OFFICE #9 in TV

• Who's your favorite character? It's too hard for me to pick just ...54 Answers
  • Did anyone else think Jim and Pam got kind of annoying at the end...3 Answers
  • What was your favorite episode? Mine by far is the CPR episode wh...2 Answers
dam m.
dam m.
Santa Clarita, CA
The Office will certainly stand out as one of the best comedies of its time, and for many one of the best of all time. Even after being off the air for a few years now, the show holds up very well. While it probably is guilty of holding on too long, and the show definitely lost something when Steve Carell left the show toward the end of season 7, it still had some very funny moments in the final two seasons. By now most people reading this will know the show enough that I will not spend much time reviewing the show itself. For those who have not seen it, it is a sitcom adapted from a British series of the same name, where a documentary film crew follows the day to day lives of people working for a paper supply company. It was definitely a different kind of sitcom. It did not rely on laugh tracks and could be very edgy for network TV. It truly was an ensemble cast, but Steve Carell's character Michael Scott was definitely the glue that held all the characters and story lines together. He managed to be a complete doofus in one moment, caring and protective in another, and even very cunning the next. It honestly would not have worked as well with anyone else in that role.

For me the best episodes of the series were the beach episode, Steve Carell's final episode, the wedding in Niagra Falls, and the series Finale. Even in the last two years there was really not a bad episode, although none of them were as good as the show was at its pinnacle (aside from the last few episodes of the series). I do think they ended the show perfectly, and Steve Carell's very understated two-line cameo was a great way to bring him back, without him dominating the entire show. It would have been nice to have included him in the final scenes though.

It is important to note that this set is just the individual season sets packaged together. There are no complete series bonus material. So if you already own the individual seasons, there is no reason to get this. The one advantage the physical DVDs have over streaming is you get a ton of extra features, especially in the early seasons. There are deleted scenes from every episode, and commentary tracks on many episodes in seasons 1 through 7. All the actors except Steve Carell make multiple appearances on the commentary tracks along with various writers, directors and producers. The only track that was really bad was BJ Novak and a couple catering people talking about what everyone on set liked to eat. But otherwise they usually gave good insight into a particular episode or story line. There were also blooper reels from each season, webisodes which appeared on NBC.com during the series run, and various promos done around the Olympics and Super Bowl. In season 8 there are the deleted scenes and blooper reel, as well as a half hour long look back at the show with interviews of the cast and crew, as well as casting tapes showing auditions of well known actors who did not get parts on the show and from those that were ultimately cast. All in all a ton of material for those who like going through all the extras.

Like I said earlier, you likely know by now where you stand with the show. If you loved it while it was on the air, or just heard about how great it is, but have only seen a couple episodes here and there, this is definitely worth getting. It is a great comedy that will hold up for years to come.
Sarah H.
Sarah H.
Brookville, IN
I have been a huge fan of THE OFFICE ever since its first season. And, up to and including the very last episode, I am glad I did. The Series was original in its premise and execution, the pseudo-documentary format opening up numerous previously little explored avenues of storytelling. And it was great fun to watch.

The setting (the office of a small branch of paper-selling company) and the stories (everyday life of the people found working in such a low-prospects jobs) seem mundane at first. And there lies the magic of the creators. For (if the endless strings of CSIs are any indication) it not hard to create good TV with car chases, gadgets and explosions. It is extremely hard to make excellent TV with only the everyday grind to work with. It seems effortless only because they made it look easy.

The brief one-way interviews each character had with the camera functioned as either prefatory summaries of stories about to unfold (building up the anticipation) or as instances of pushing back, yet never breaking, the forth wall, and, thus, making the viewing experience more personal and involving. All without the show ever loosing its step.

Producing, directing and writing will only get you so far without the right cast. And THE OFFICE enjoyed such stellar cast. Steve Carell may have risked getting typecast by creating the unforgettable character of Michael Scott but it was worth it. Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) served first as the precarious love interest and then as the familiar friends you care about and the rest of the cast was one successful pick after another. From hypochondriac and hypercritical (not to mention hypocritical) Angela Martin (Angela Kinsey) to perky Kelly Erin Hannon (Ellie Kemper), I could not imagine anyone else portraying these memorable characters. However, the show stealer has always been obsessive nerd Dwight Schrute, portrayed to perfection by Rainn Wilson.

Purists and snobs will try to argue that the precursor British Series was better. Strangely for someone who usually finds Hollywood remakes watered down and bland, in this case I strongly disagree. The US version was much better. It had the perfect mix of familiar workday desperation and sweet quirkiness to make it a weekly craved addiction. In contrast, I found the BBC version too mean for my taste. Maybe one should have grown up in a cruel class system carved out by accent hues and prep-school rankings to appreciate it; however, during the handful of episodes I managed to watch I found myself laughing at the characters, not with them, and then felt bad about it. Anyway, in all honesty, how could Gareth ever compare to Dwight!

The series is unique in another aspect as well: it respected its viewers. Every producer, director and writer wants to make his or hers memorable splash so we often end up with unnecessary cliffhangers, ambiguous endings or unsatisfying closures. Not so with THE OFFICE. No spoilers but I will just state that the show does not disappoint to the very end
Mestude V.
Mestude V.
Bridgeport, CT
After reading all of the horrible reviews coming from the UK, I felt the strong desire to comment. I learned that most of the reviewers bashing it have only seen a few (at most) episodes from the first season - many haven't seen it at all, and are simply bashing it because of an overwhelming sense of pride in the original. I'd be surprised if this review isn't skimmed over and marked unhelpful by them. Obviously I'm not speaking to all the British, but the majority that unfairly judge this show with little to no basis in the truth.

This whole fanaticism is juvenile and petty. The casts of the US and UK versions love each show. Ricky Gervais even wrote and executive produced a few episodes of the US version. Open your minds, people! Most of the US fans KNOW that it's based on a British version. It has gotten the credit it deserves for being a brilliant and hilarious show.

But the American version is also brilliant and hilarious. I've read comments ranging from 'bad acting' to 'direct copy', neither of which are true. The first season may have had its borrowed bits, but that was to get it on its feet. The second and third seasons have proved that it is a show entirely on its own, with scenarios and characters having NOTHING to do with the UK version at all. The acting is just as convincing and real as the UK version.

I've even read that Michael Scott is devoid of David Brent's humanity! In actuality, Michael Scott is shown as far more human than David Brent, who was more manipulative (albeit, poorly) and heartless. The US version still has the cruel elements of the UK version, but it balances these awkward, painful moments with tender, human moments, which makes it more enjoyable and watchable.

As for the humor, each show has its own moments of subtlety, detail, absolutely outrageous moments, awkwardness, pain, cuteness, ridiculousness, and vulgarity. The UK version was groundbreaking. But instead of blindly basing your opinions on bias and arrogance, see the US version for what it is - a brilliant, brighter version that, in its first season, simply used the framework of the original (the characters and basic situations) to get started with.

This is the funniest, smartest American television show in recent history besides Arrested Development. Not since Seinfeld has a show made me laugh so hard and smile so much. These three shows get better with each viewing and are great because there's so many levels of humor, from the apparent outrageousness to the minute details that are noticed after repeated viewings and
Haley N.
Haley N.
Mobile, AL
I could write a book on how I feel about The Office. I have watched and re-watched so many times. Right from the start, the show is funny, and the acting is good. There's no period of adjustment at the beginning. You're thrown headfirst into it and it is so immersive. The characters are mostly likable, and always relatable. There's no villain, just humans being human. It's portrayed so well that it's easy to forget that it's a mockumentary. The boss, Michael Scott, may be a little over the top but Carrell's portrayal makes him so believable. And as time goes by, you just come to love him. Every emotion that a human can have is artfully portrayed by a really talented cast. And you'll find yourself rooting for outcomes almost from the very start. From Jim and Pam, to Dwight and Angela, to Phyllis winning a silver Yoplait lid in Flonkerton. The seasons after Michael left were ill-received by multitudes of fans but I enjoyed them because I just couldn't bear to let these people go. This show is just so dear to me, I rave about it to everyone I know. When I finish watching it, it's almost as if I'm mourning. By the end you feel as if you have been integrated into the lives of the characters. One of the things I love about this show is that it perfectly sums up how regular people act. No one is perfect, and it's so refreshing to see how multifaceted the cast and crew were able to make the characters. I can honestly say that this is my favorite show.
Monica S.
Monica S.
Alcalde, NM
Pop Culture Expert
This show really is outstanding, in fact its the only show i think i can rate as a 10.

From watching the original uk series back in 2001 on bbc TV, i never thought an American remake would stand any ground whatsoever. When the first series aired in the uk it did'nt really make its mark, and unfortunately never caught on. I was disappointed when it disappeared from our screens, and then quickly forgot about it. I thought it had 1 series and crashed and burned. Then one day i was checking out the reviews for evan almighty on IMDb and noticed that steve carel had still been making this show. I had to get hold of it and see it, And to my joy there was 5 series waiting for me. I never get into TV like i have done with this, i ended up watching 10 episodes in a day, i think i did all 5 series in just under 2 weeks. This show is funny, its acted brilliantly, its over the top, totally crazy but totally entertaining. If your ever down just bung on a couple episodes from good old dunder miflin in scranton and you cant go wrong.

Gervais said that 2 series of the office in the uk was enough. And that he did'nt want to take it further. I know he helps on the US version, and i sure he is surprised to see 6 series already of what i can only describe as the best American sitcom of all time!!
Elizabeth C.
Elizabeth C.
Mission, KS
I think this show is wonderful!! There are so many memorable moments. The show is set up like a documentary following the office life for a paper company in PA. Although their lives may seem boring, each episode is full of excitement. I loved when there was a basketball competition with the office workers vs the dock workers. I laughed historically when they tried to combat racism. My favorite people are Pam and Jim. They are an adorably sweet pair. The actors are amazing! Their characters are so outlandish but the acting skills are so amazing that their personalities are quite believable. For example, Dwight is a rare oddball. He owns a beet farm and is super gullible, especially to Jim's pranks. By the way, Jim pulls the best pranks!! One time, Jim put all of Dwight's office supplies in Jell-O. Another time, Jim convinced Dwight to throw his cell phone off the roof because Dwight was getting messages from his future self. I tried to watch the British version that the American version of the Office was based off of but I didn't quite understand the jokes like I do for this one. Also, I have so much more love for this version.
Brandon P.
Brandon P.

Sara R.
Sara R.
Saylorsburg, PA
Pop Culture Expert
The Office is seriously, 100% my all time favorite show. Michael Scott is so stupid and so funny and so cringey. I really hope one day in the future they could do a reunion or something like "Where are they now?"
I love this show because it is so funny, exactly my type of humor. I also think it is written extremely well. There is also barely any annoying drama, which I am not a fan of. It's mostly funny with a dose of unique romances- that are actually nice and you actually root for the couples. I recommend this show to everyone. I remember when I would come home from school in 6th grade (I am now 20!), I would see this show on TV and I thought it was so strange. I couldn't figure out what genre it was or why it was playing on the stations it was... Then, like 6 years later, it became my favorite show! Watch it, if you haven't already!!
Michelle B.
Michelle B.
Huntington Beach, CA
Totally binge worthy. Funniest show ever on television. I could watch each episode a thousand times. The characters are all so memorable. The humor is so under the radar, but so hilarious Michael is such hilarious character. His attitudes, ignorance, overconfidence...it is os, so funny. Very favorite episode is the Parkour one. Omg. I giggle just thinking about it. I watched that one with y son, it's been years, and we still joke at least once every month about it. This show is filled with so many quotable lines, so much fodder for awesome inside jokes with your loved ones and friends. Genius!! The creator of the original British series that inspired this American version, Ricky Gervais, is worshipped in our home because he brought us this delight that has brought total humor to our home.
Kari Y.
Kari Y.
Midlothian, VA
It is always risky to take a successful show franchise from another country and try to remake it in Hollywood... This is one of those rare and amazing occasions that it worked BRILLIANTLY. (The original UK show needs a lot of credit for the concept.) It is so well written, it introduced (and protected) the mockumentary, the characters are unforgettable, and it's a comedy that has a lot of heart. I guarantee you will find yourself bowled over laughing but also deeply invested in the drama of each Office members lives... Many people consider Jim and Pam the greatest TV love story- knocking Rachel and Ross off their throne which they rightfully sat on for a couple of decades... But if you want smart witty dry humor with depth you will fall in love more and more each episode...
Jessica H.
Jessica H.
The village, OK
Who's your favorite character? It's too hard for me to pick just one!
Olivia S.
Olivia S.
Pittsburgh, PA
Best couple? (In your opinion)
Darian P.
Darian P.
Battlefield , MO
What are some of your favorite quotes form The Office?
Courtney L.
Courtney L.
Erikah O.
Erikah O.
York, PA
Pop Culture Expert
Is this show worth watching?