BY SCREEN GEMS

In New York City, a seemingly ordinary teenager named Clary Fray (Lily Collins) learns that she is descended from a line of Shadowhunters -- half-angel warriors who protect humanity from evil forces. After her mother (Lena Headey) disappears, Clary joins forces with a group of Shadowhunters and enters Downworld, an alternate realm filled with demons, vampires and a host of other creatures. Clary and her companions must find and protect an ancient cup that holds the key to her mother's future.

• I like this movie WAY better than the shadow hunter TV se...6 Answers
  • What do you think is better the movie or the books?11 Answers
  • Who do you guys prefer, Lily Collins or Katherine McNamar...2 Answers
miranda b.
Victoria, TX
I loved this movie I didn’t read the books but I thought I was amazing the acting was really good and I am glad they made the shadow hunters I think it’s a great tv and a must watch I would recommend to everyone!!!!
Madison S.
Jamestown, ND
Personally I liked the movie way better than the show. I just really liked Lilly Collins as Clary. They also stuck to the book a lot better. Disappointed that they didn’t continue with this for the rest of the screen series
Emily C.
Dry Creek, LA
I never wanted to read any of the books to begin with.

For some reason, my brother had read the first one and was pushing me to read it. But I refused because it sounded stupid.

Then on a cold January night in the year 2011, I had run out of books to read and was hard up for my next adventure. (I control my addiction, I swear). Nothing was good on television and I was all out of video games to get lost in, so I walked into my brothers room and politely asked to borrow City Of Bones. He handed it over with a smirk like the devil he is and said "have fun".

And so I got comfortable in my bed and opened the cover. Next thing I know, it is a hour later and I am nowheres close to being done. I was involved, for whatever reason, the world of Clary and Jace's had me hook, line, and sinker.

Even though I could not stand Clary and even though I'm not attracted to blondes like Jace, I liked the first in the series. (I've read City of Ashes and City of Glass. I ended it there. That was enough for me).

And like mother like daughter, my mom came to the point in her life where she was also out of books to read and so I handed over the copy of City of Bones that now sits on my bookshelf (my brother was more than happy to get rid of it).

Flash forward to 2013 when we are both sitting in the theater awaiting the previews and then the big event.

Then flash forward to an hour in when I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why in the hell this was even able to get past Cassandra Clare (probably because she is a money grubbing turtle, that's why).

Then flash forward to my mom turning to me and saying "what the shit". And I was pretty sure at that exact moment there would be no movie sequel. (I was wrong of course. So very wrong).

My hope was up for the movie. It had a ton of good actors playing some of the characters I loved the most. Most importantly, it had Aidan Turner and Johnathan Rhys Myers playing two of the characters that made the books for me. (And whoever played Simon. I loved him! He did perfect).

But the writing was something else entirely. I don't even know what the hell. Like I cant even. It was just strange. Overworked. Rundown.

Not to mention the fact that Jamie Bower was never my Jace (Alex Pettyfer all the way. Even blonde I'm okay with him) and frankly he did not fit the bill. He was this cracked out druggie, not the muscular hot head that Jace is supposed to be.(Let it be said that I do not hate Jamie. No way, no how. You're adorable, honey. Just not as Jace).

As far as adaptations go, this did not hit it's mark. With die hard fans or regular people like me.

But Simon, though. I enjoy him. (Although some of his lines were missed and that urgh!!)!
Jessica S.
Albertson, NY
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
2.5/5

First things first. I haven't read the Mortal Instruments yet. I plan to at least give it a try some day, but that day has not yet arrived. Thus, this is coming from someone that hasn't read the books. I can't compare it to the books, but I have heard that it's pretty inaccurate and that fans were really upset by it. I guess I'll find out eventually...But anyway! Where do I even begin?

I suppose I'll start with the romance. Let me first tell you that I love Simon. I don't know if Clary deserves Simon, but I do love their friendship. But alas, unrequited love is always tough, and my heart goes out to Simon. Then there's Jace. I felt that Jace's relationship with Clary moved SO quickly. Like WOAH slow down there. It didn't feel natural. I could sort of see why Clary would be drawn to him, but they barely even knew each other! Then, there was that whole awkward scene between Simon, Clary, and Jace. If you watch(ed) the movie, I think you'll know which scene it was. Jace pissed me off in that scene, and I sort of wish Simon could have laid off of Clary a little bit (I understood how he felt, but). So far, in the movie at least, I am not a fan of this love-triangle. (I do know who Simon (and Magnus) end up with, and there were hints of both in the movie, but.)

Next, there's the plot. It was okay. Didn't keep me on my toes and guessing the entire time, and there were times when I just wasn't into it. I mean, yes, I went into this expecting this exact thing, but I was subconsciously hoping it would surprise me more. But alas, no. It was good enough to keep me watching the entire time, and I sort of want to watch the next movie, if only to tide me over until I can read the books, but I don't have this dire need to go back into the world of the movie.

Then, of course, there's the characters. I don't feel particularly interested or attached to any of the characters, although I do love Simon, as I mentioned before. I don't care much about Clary, nor do I care much about Jace. I feel like we don't know enough about Isabel and Magnus. I do think Luke (I should double check if this is actually his name) is interesting, and I'd like to learn more about him and his background/back story. Overall, I felt like this movie tried to be mostly plot centric, but the plot itself wasn't that strong anyway. They could have tried harder with the characters at least.

There's also the raging feminist in me and my recent English lecture project...Yup, this movie is not particularly a good one for all the feminists out there. I just wanted to enjoy the movie! But alas, that brain of mine didn't allow me to. *sigh* Female characters that are reliant on male characters? Check. Female characters that don't seem to do much expect to help male characters fight (as secondary heroes)? Check. Females that mainly just talk about the males? Check. Scenes with hypersexualization of women? Check. Yeah, sometimes I cry because of this. Or more accurately, want to pull my hair out and scream. I give up.

In general, this movie didn't impress me. I would be willing to watch the second movie (but not in theaters), and I do want to read the book, but this left me feeling disappointed. There are other movies I would have rather spent this time watching.
Jennifer M.
Odessa, FL
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I do not know how people could think this is good! Maybe you haven't read the books, maybe but even my hubby did not like this movie. It is awful! It drags on and it ruins what is so magical about the books. I love the book series so much so this was utterly disappointing. I'm being nice by giving 2 stars, i would give it none but i do love the book series so i gave an extra star it doesn't deserve
Emily M.
Nelsonville, OH
I love the books and I love the movie too. How they pretrade the characters in the movie mimic the book not totally in looks but it was still fantastic. Great acting by all actors. I recommend watching but I would read the books first
Cynthia S.
Harmony , FL
I love this movie and the actors I know clary is supposed to be a red head but I love lily Colin's as a actress. Every actor in the movie wasn't the best but overall I enjoyed it. I watch it every time it comes on. I liked it so much I was happy they made it into a show but was sad it was going to be different main actors.
Keegan N.
Midway Park
Really wish they had continued with the movie series. The books are my favorite series and it was nice to see how it compared to the books. Love watching movies based on books. Super glad they turned it into a tv show
Kayleigh L.
New York , NY
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This movie is alright, not great but alright. It is what got be into the books. I thought that this story had to come from somewhere good, and man was I right! It is one of my favorite book series.
Audrey U.
I know that this movie did not follow the books but I definitely liked this cast WAY better than the TV series cast (mainly the two main characters Clary and Jace). I felt like Lily and Jamie have way better camera chemistry than the two on the TV series. This movie still showed how badass Shawdowhunters are and what the shadow world was like. I really wish they would've continued with the movie series instead of the TV series or at least brought back Lily and Jamie to play Clary and Jace. Then I wouldn't have gotten bored and started playing with my phone or fallen asleep.
Abigail M.
What do you think is better the movie or the books?
Jaclyn R.
I like this movie WAY better than the shadow hunter TV series. Anyone else feel the same?
Kara E.
Who do you guys prefer, Lily Collins or Katherine McNamara as Clary?