BY CROWN PUBLISHING GROUP

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive-and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won"t have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old human error are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn"t ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills-and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit-he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him From the Hardcover edition. see more...

Amy R.
Alpharetta, GA
I liked it... It was a quick read, entertaining. I'm not sure how it has such high ratings on here. Usually books rated over 4 stars are much more well written. This one wasn't very poorly written, but it's no masterpiece. On the surface it's a good book. If you brush off that first layer, it's a little flimsy. The character development is a little week in my opinion. Mark knows too much science. He's a botanist. He's the lowest level astronaut on the mission. Surprise! He is a master at all science! Physics, chemistry, geology, you name it. Let's face it, if he were that amazing, he would have been the commander! Though maybe it's his constant sarcasm that kept him from being promoted...
Tiffany H.
Cleveland, TN
I really enjoyed reading this book.  I liked the main character, Mark Watney's sense of humor.  He stayed upbeat in the worst of situations.  I like how the things he fixed or created were explained out and I enjoyed reading the science and math behind it.  I liked it much more than I did the movie (which I felt moved to fast, focused too much on what was going on on Earth and skipped a lot of the brilliant things Mark did on Mars).  I didn't care for how abruptly the book ended though.
Krista L.
Equality, AL
This is not a book I would have picked up on my own but my husband highly recommended it. How right he was! This book was ahead of its time, so well written and had such a great story line. I found myself on the edge of my seat most of the book. This is a must read!
Megan V.
Aurora, CO
Bookworm Expert
I love books about sci-fi and space and this book really will make you want to keep reading. The main character is so likeable and relatable (besides the whole stuck in space part) and doesn't seem helpless or annoying to me. I loved the story so much.
Gabriella M.
Vail, AZ
Overall this was a really good read. It took me a while because I kept getting distracted by other books, but I'm happy that I kept coming back to it and eventually finished. You'd think all of the science would be hard to understand but the author explains things in a way that you get the jist. Not to mention despite the dire situation our main character is in, he maintains his humor. It really makes things quite enjoyable despite the stress of "will he survive?" and "what will go wrong next?". Highly recommend. Time for me to go watch the movie.
Cheryl B.
My husband and I were in a bookstore and asked the proprietor for a suggestion for a woman who likes sci-fi (we were shopping for my MIL) and he suggested this book. We ended up buying a copy for my MIL and eventually one for us after she told us how funny it is. It's easily a favorite of mine. I very much enjoy the way he weaves science and humor to keep you interested. I could feel the anxiety during certain parts and could not put it down. I also like how the movie wasn't word-for-word the book and I liked the changes they made to make it flow. I have recommended this book several times to friends and even loaned out my copy (sadly it came back damaged :-().
Cristina V.
Bookworm Expert
Pretty dang awesome. Exciting, funny, hopeful...and very nerdy. A lot of the math/science went over my head, and yet I still loved it. That's not usual for me. Great writing, great protagonist, and you will be cheering loudly throughout his journey. It was a fun adventure! I normally don't like science fiction books, but I highly recommend this one.
Katelyn A.
I listened to the Audible version of this when I saw the previews for the corresponding movie (before I say it). I liked the book more, but still enjoyed the movie. The book is wonderfully performed by the narrator and very dense in description/tidbits of scientific knowledge. Definitely an Audible listen, not a paperback read. I would have gotten overwhelmed by the scientific jargon.
Genisee B.
Greenwood, IN
Bookworm Expert
I read The Martian before the movie came out and I am so glad that I did. It has quickly become one of my favorite books. It was a smart, witty, and so well written. It was suspenseful, funny, and emotionally pulling all at the same time. Andy Weir really has a gift, and I cannot wait to read future work by him.
Rachel P.
Safety Harbor, FL
An interesting read. Great story of survival. Parts of it were over my head because they were so scientific and physics-based. I enjoyed reading it but maybe would not read again.
Ali Y.
Pittsburg, KS
Is this better than the movie?
Amy R.
Alpharetta, GA
Did anyone else think the movie was better than the book?