BY CROWN PUBLISHING GROUP

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive-and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won"t have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old human error are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn"t ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills-and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit-he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him From the Hardcover edition. see more...

• Did anyone else think the movie was better than the book?1 Answers
  • Is this better than the movie?5 Answers
Buy on Target*
Amy R.
Alpharetta, GA
I liked it... It was a quick read, entertaining. I'm not sure how it has such high ratings on here. Usually books rated over 4 stars are much more well written. This one wasn't very poorly written, but it's no masterpiece. On the surface it's a good book. If you brush off that first layer, it's a little flimsy. The character development is a little week in my opinion. Mark knows too much science. He's a botanist. He's the lowest level astronaut on the mission. Surprise! He is a master at all science! Physics, chemistry, geology, you name it. Let's face it, if he were that amazing, he would have been the commander! Though maybe it's his constant sarcasm that kept him from being promoted...
Tiffany H.
Cleveland, TN
I really enjoyed reading this book.  I liked the main character, Mark Watney's sense of humor.  He stayed upbeat in the worst of situations.  I like how the things he fixed or created were explained out and I enjoyed reading the science and math behind it.  I liked it much more than I did the movie (which I felt moved to fast, focused too much on what was going on on Earth and skipped a lot of the brilliant things Mark did on Mars).  I didn't care for how abruptly the book ended though.
Drew H.
Layton
This is my favorite book! Accurate Hard Science Fiction book. The story is intense and keeps you wanting more. This author is very dedicated to keeping the science and technology plausible. I love his work. Anyone who enjoys science in general should read this book. It very has very crude humor. I recommend it to even those who don't like reading.
Krista L.
Wilmington, NC
This is not a book I would have picked up on my own but my husband highly recommended it. How right he was! This book was ahead of its time, so well written and had such a great story line. I found myself on the edge of my seat most of the book. This is a must read!
Megan V.
Aurora, CO
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I love books about sci-fi and space and this book really will make you want to keep reading. The main character is so likeable and relatable (besides the whole stuck in space part) and doesn't seem helpless or annoying to me. I loved the story so much.
Gabriella M.
Vail, AZ
Overall this was a really good read. It took me a while because I kept getting distracted by other books, but I'm happy that I kept coming back to it and eventually finished. You'd think all of the science would be hard to understand but the author explains things in a way that you get the jist. Not to mention despite the dire situation our main character is in, he maintains his humor. It really makes things quite enjoyable despite the stress of "will he survive?" and "what will go wrong next?". Highly recommend. Time for me to go watch the movie.
Cheryl B.
My husband and I were in a bookstore and asked the proprietor for a suggestion for a woman who likes sci-fi (we were shopping for my MIL) and he suggested this book. We ended up buying a copy for my MIL and eventually one for us after she told us how funny it is. It's easily a favorite of mine. I very much enjoy the way he weaves science and humor to keep you interested. I could feel the anxiety during certain parts and could not put it down. I also like how the movie wasn't word-for-word the book and I liked the changes they made to make it flow. I have recommended this book several times to friends and even loaned out my copy (sadly it came back damaged :-().
Ashley E.
Virginia Bch, VA
I could not put this book down! The main character Mark Watney pulls you in and you can't help but root for him because he never lets you lose hope in such an impossible situation. It is pretty heavy on math and science but that's something I really enjoy and it's evident the author put In a significant amount of research for this novel. Even though it had its moments of being predictable it was still such an amazing read and far better than the movie. The movie was a cake walk compared to what Mark faces in the book!
Krista T.
I read The Martian via audio book.

Going into The Martian, I didn't know what to expect. I was around when it won a Goodreads Choice in 2014. Since that moment it has been on my to-read list and I was always very curious of it. I recently I saw previews for The Martian film. I finally understood what the story was about and my curiosity grew immensely. The idea fascinated me and as a Psych major, I wondered: what would being deserted in space do to your head? Then a good friend of mine read it and though she told me she wasn't sure if I would like it, I knew it was time to read it any way and I figured all the space and science jargon would be easier to get through if I went the audio route.

I was blown away by home much I actually liked this book. Yes, some of that science stuff and numbers were a bit hard to get through and I found myself unconsciously tuning some of it out. My favorite part of the entire book was Mark's sass. He is a very sassy character and humorous! I found myself laughing out loud a couple times. The tale is an on-the-edge-of-your-seat read. Mark meets many trials which he very cleverly works through. The part that I was most looking forward to was obviously the psychological side of it which was touched on a few times but perhaps not as much as I hoped however I loved that Mark was perfectly honest in his log as to how he was feeling with an I am screwed and I'm going to die now! screw you Mars! attitude. At the end of the book I found myself cheering with everyone else! It left me feeling good and accomplished. (view spoiler)

I will warn that this book contains strong language.

I recommend this book to anyone who fascinated by space, those who love numbers and science and anyone who is in the mood for a bit of a challenging read.
Rachel P.
Let’s start with our main man, Mark Watney. I wanted to like Watney as much as seemingly every other reader has, but I just wished he would shut. up. Not the best attitude to have for a narrator. You’ll probably like Watney if you enjoy The Big Bang Theory, but I happen to think it’s one of the worst shows on television. His humor is the kind where you try and change your groan to a half-hearted laugh. It’s so over the top that it doesn’t feel like anyone like this could possibly exist in real life, but maybe I don’t hang out with enough astrophysicists.

I am also very, very glad I don’t hang out with astrophysicists after pages and pages of unnecessary explanation of whatever hack job he’s doing to some necessary-for-survival machinery. Seriously, unless all this sciencey space talk gives you as big of a nerd-boner as it clearly does for our author, you’ll want to skim about half of this book. That’s what I did towards the end when I finally accepted that this was all over my head and there was really no need to learn all the specifics anyways. Weir could have cut out about 60 pages by doing away with all this and would have left much more room for a little more, you know, plot.

It may have also helped if Weir took some of that zeal and applied it to his character building. They were some of the flattest characters I’ve ever come across. I didn’t care for or about any of them. Also, I don’t think there was a single physical description of any of the lot, apart from the Commander being older and Johannsen being little. I know it’s not necessary to have a ton of physical description (we have our imaginations!) but it was still weird.

I wanted to put this book down so many times, but managed to stick it out. I was happiest when it was over. I’ll call it “okay” because the premise is cool and I enjoyed the part in the middle where there was actually some interaction between Watney and the rest of humanity. And that sweet cover.
Ali Y.
Pittsburg, KS
Is this better than the movie?
Amy R.
Alpharetta, GA
Did anyone else think the movie was better than the book?