BY BOOKS ALL PUBLISHER TITLES #79 in Books

?A clever reworking of a classic story. The little old lady?s fearless attitude and her clever solution as to what to do with the lively shoes, pants, shirt and pumpkin head that are chasing her will enchant young audiences. With brilliantly colored, detailed folk art illustrations. A great purchase.? ?SLJ. Children's Choices for 1987 (IRA/CBC) Notable 1986 Children's Trade Books in Social Studies (NCSS/CBC) Children's Books of 1986 (Library of Congress) 1988 Keystone to Reading Book Award (Pennsylvania Reading Association) see more...

Buy on Target
  • "The kids enjoy the pictures and story line :)" in 1 review
  • "I read this to my kindergarteners and they absolutely loved it!" in 1 review
  • "I remember reading this when I was younger and I really enjoyed it." in 1 review
Sarah S.
By far one of the best stories. My mom always brought it out for Halloween. The last time I saw it, I cried. It’s one of my absolute favorites. It’s such a cute story. I adore it. It’s great for kids and adults. Though obviously it’s meant for kids.
One my children's favorites.  I love how the author uses a timid character to teach about bravery and reward.  I still bring this favorite out in the autumn and read it to my grandchildren.  I think this will become a classic, and it already is at my house.
Emily M.
Nelsonville, OH
this is a great book for children. its a halloween book that all children love so much. it has a great story line and it was even one for my favorite book when i was little too. my niece really loves this book more then all of the others i would recommend this book
Liv C.
Statesboro, GA
This was one of my favorite books as a kid, especially around Halloween. I would spend hours looking at the pictures, and was honestly more interested in them than the actual story. The story is adorable though, and I think it would be a great book to get for your kids!
Brittney S.
Fort Payne, AL
There is something to be said about being in touch with our inner child. We grow up, we experience the world, we toughen up, we become adults. Along the way, we outgrow our fears or we suppress them, but once in awhile, that fear we think is gone rears it ugly head and manifests in ways that scare us still. On those days, wouldn’t it be fun if we dug out our copy of The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything, and be reminded that Boo! Goes both ways.

In this classic tale, a little old lady resolved not to be afraid of anything. As she walked deeper into the woods to collect herbs and whatnot that little old ladies collect while alone in a spooky forest full of shadowy apparitions that lurk at night, of course, she meets with stranger things. I shan’t tell you what they are except to whisper that they are discombobulating, spectral and you will most certainly quake in your boots. At once brave and terror-stricken, but never afraid, the little old lady confronted the moon lit visage and tell it to “F___ off”. Well, some polite form of that. She faced her fear straight-on and put it in its place, quite literally, where it is always within sight but never within reach.

For some of us, that’s how it’ll always be. Call this fear anything - insecurity, anxiety, depression, despondence, anger, inertia or debilitation by any name. A fear we cannot vanquish entirely, but with resolution, can be kept at bay if we find within ourselves our own Little-Old-Lady-Who-Is-Not-Afraid-Of-Anything.

Ah, yes, and also very suitable for children 1 year and up. Life’s lessons must be instilled from young! A lesson story presented in decent illustrations with cutesy graphics and catchy words that one can sing and boogie to.
Gina L.
Stamford, CT
Bookworm Expert Level 1
best childhood reads. something about this book that wanted me too read more. it was a great read for me. the storyline was great . highly recommend them to kids that are starting to read. the illustrations are great too!! this is a must read for kids
Casie C.
Grant, AL
Bookworm Expert Level 2
I remember my teacher reading this to me in school! I was a skittish kid, and this story touched my heart while making me laugh, and making me feel brave! If a little old lady can do it, little me could do it too! A great story for skittish kids like I was.
Shalayna G.
Purvis, MS
Bookworm Expert Level 1
A great book for around Halloween I love reading books towards the season it brings up so much memories read in school creepy but I love it. It great for kids if they love scary stories! It is available online and ships to your door!
Cassie C.
Rochester, NY
My mother loves Halloween and used to read this book to my brother and I every year. I remember the first time she read it I was terrified but then as I got older I came to appreciate it more. Its a book I will read to my kids one day around Halloween.
Lacy B.
Loved reading this when I was younger! However, it's hard to find in a bookstore or library anymore! I wish it was more readily available to customers without having to order it online! But like I said it's still a good book!
Brenda C.
When was the last time you read it?
Brenda C.
What ages is this book good for?
Yailin L.
Concord, NC
Bookworm Expert Level 3
How did you all like it?
Karina L.
Passaic, NJ
Is this a good book for ages 4-7?
Karina V.
Medley, FL
Is really good this book?