BY NONE

Buy on Target*
Áine R.
I first read this book in third grade because one of my classmates was reading it and recommended it and I knew my brother owned the books. I am glad I listened to her recommendation because I love this book series. It’s interesting, the characters are likable for the most part, and extremely entertaining.
Brooke G.
Union Grove
I had to start out by saying I really loved every book in this series. Yes, I am an adult that reads YA books. It started by me wanting to be able to talk to my kids about the books that they were reading and took off from there. I stayed up to read from start to finish and did that with each book. I stalked the stores waiting until each was on the shelf. Awesome book!!!The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1) PS the movies don’t do the books justice at all.
Kara E.
La Mirada, CA
Many reviewers appear to try to compare this series to Harry Potter. Frankly, other than its ability to make the reader want to keep turning the page and anxiously await the next book, I can't begin to compare the two! HP is pure fantasy with magic as its foundation. PJ, on the other hand, has its basis in Greek mythology. To me, this alone places PJ into more of an "historical fantasy" genre rather than pure fantasy. Magic certainly plays a role but it is actually a very small part compared to HP. The emphasis here is on the abilities humans attributed to the gods of ancient Greece and Rome and the fantasy part is how those abilities might affect modern offspring of those immortals and modern mortals, children known as demigods. The fact that so many cultures of ancient times in so many places had similar gods with similar attributes has to make one wonder if there isn't some factual basis as to their existence.

That said, Mr. Riordan clearly has done his research into the lives of the gods and goddesses and all of the associated monsters, creatures, and peoples of legend and history. He brings them to life in the 21st Century with believable characters and situations that are well-developed and that allow the stories to flow from one exciting adventure or quest to another without confusion or frustration on the part of the reader. Face it, how many of us remember the hierarchy, attributes, and tales of even the top 12, nevermind all the minor deities and various creatures from our high school classes and mandatory reading of Homer, The Odyssey, and even Shakespeare? Probably not many, mainly because most of us had no real frame of reference to hang all that ancient stuff in. As older teen now, and an avid reader, and hopefully future author I have deep admiration of Mr. Riordan's word crafting, ability to challenge YA readers with expansive vocabulary without overwhelming, his characters to whom we can all relate in a variety of aspects, and his creativity in bringing ancient mythology alive for this generation of readers. I also appreciate his highlighting some of the positives of two common learning difficulties, ADHD and dyslexia, that plague so many people in our inactive, word-oriented society. Many of our greatest minds and most creative inventors dealt or deal with one or both of these alternate ways of viewing the world, yet instead of embracing and developing these special thinkers and their skills we call them "learning disabled" and make them feel stupid when in reality these particular "disabilities" tend to be accompanied by higher than normal intelligence!

Many reviewers have synopsized this and other books in the series so I have deliberately avoided doing so and have instead focused on WHY young readers should be encouraged to read this book and the entire series. It's fun, imaginative, exciting, interesting, has male and female heroes who are well-developed characters, teaches without the reader feeling taught, shows that good and bad aren't always black and white, and has good values such as loyalty, honesty, and the value of friends, family, and community without preaching. Besides, it's just plain a darn good read all ages!
C g.
calvin
I love this book so much. The packaging is very nice. It is a good storyline. It is affordable. It is effective. I definitely recommend this product to anyone. Try this product out. I read this a lot of times. It’s that amazing.
Kayla A.
Washington, NC
I loved this book! It was a challenge book for me in my tweens because it was so long. It kept me interested the whole time and didn’t disappoint me! You can find this book easily and I definitely recommend for your tween!
Marie N.
Burke
I read this book in third grade and it quickly became my favorite series. It’s fun and smart and I’ve learned a lot about mythology through this series and it’s many spinoffs! It really sparked an interest for me and if you have an young kids or even older one they will love this! Please don’t judge this book by the movie, it’s so much better than the movie and the characters are amazing and I can promise you that you will fall in love with this series.
Megan E.
Smithville, TN
This was one of the few book series I loved as a kid. Depends on what you want in a book if you love or hate it. I felt as if I was in the book and it was worth every penny. If you haven’t had a chance to read it I believe you should.
Victoria G.
I have several younger brothers and sisters, and over the years I've always tried to keep up with the books they are reading... my sister introduced the Percy Jackson series to me, and it quickly became one of my favorites! I love how much detail it goes into, how much research the author clearly put into everything, and how it stays interesting without bad language or x rated situations. I have the paperback and kindle version of this book, and I try to read it at least once a year. If you are looking for a good series for your kids to read, or you want to read something action packed but innocent, this is a great book for you... and if you are like me, you will love the fact that there are SO many books after this one!
Shei R.
This was a fun read! Got to reading this book on my quest for young adult book reads while on vacation. Will definitely recommend to my young nieces and nephews.
Lucy P.
I remember first reading this because my friends all were. I fell in love with this series. I've learnt so much about Greek Mythology since reading this series. The fact that a book series can get everyone hyped up about a dead religion means that this series is really well written. This book was an amazing start
Stephanie G.
I've heard about the movies and the books. Should I read the books first or see the movie?
Katie T.