BY HARALD ZWART

In Columbia Pictures' The Karate Kid, 12-year-old Dre Parker (Jaden Smith) could've been the most popular kid in Detroit, but his mother's (Taraji P. Henson) latest career move has landed him in China. Dre immediately falls for his classmate Mei Ying - and the feeling is mutual - but cultural differences make such a friendship impossible. Even worse, Dre's feelings make an enemy of the class bully, Cheng. In the land of kung fu, Dre knows only a little karate, and Cheng puts "the karate kid" on the floor with ease. With no friends in a strange land, Dre has nowhere to turn but maintenance man Mr. Han (Jackie Chan), who is secretly a master of kung fu. As Han teaches Dre that kung fu is not about punches and parries, but maturity and calm, Dre realizes that facing down the bullies will be the fight of his life.

• Would more taraji p Henson had improved the movie ?3 Answers
The Karate Kid (2010)
  • "Good movie, I like both this one and the original ones as well." in 5 reviews
Lina F.
I like this movie, it's about a kid striving to become better at what interests him and at such a young age, it's not easy for him but he still goes at it because it's what he wants to do, what he loves to do. It shows you that you shouldn't quit just because things get tough.
Lizzette P.
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
This new version of the Karate Kid was good. People who compare it to the original version are not going to give it too much credit but I think this new one was a good way to introduce the story of Karate Kid to the new generation. Definitely a family movie to see with your kids.
Anhly H.
East Hartford, CT
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I love this movie. I remember going to see it on the day it came out because I had really huge crushes on Jaden Smith and Justin Bieber. Overall it's still a great film and teaches a good lesson. I wish they'd make more movies like the old Karate Kid series.
Alicia S.
Missouri City, TX
Very good movie for Jaden's first staring role. I thought it was a really cute, and refreshing spin on the Karate Kid classic. It's only too bad that their wont be sequels to this one as there were to the original
Christiana L.
Pop Culture Expert Level 4
My youth group watched this and we loved it. It was funny to see something that we watched as little kids remade into something that our younger siblings could enjoy in the same manner.
Katie M.
The idea to redo this movie was fine and I like Jackie Chan, but good grief this movie was so long. I felt like I was waiting for ever for the peak and then waiting forever for it to end.
Leslie V.
I love this movie! I think that It has lots of good messages: about working hard for what you want, about desicions, love, growing... A very good movie!
Taja S.
Cincinnati, OH
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Jaden played this role well and was so cute. I'm glad they didn't attempt to make it exactly like the original and Jackie chan was perfect on his role
Tanita C.
Springfield, MA
I don't think this was a great duplicate of the first movie. It was truly a legionary movie the first one and this just seemed like a knockoff
Kyla C.
Good movie, I like both this one and the original ones as well. Thought they done a good job at remaking it. Jaden done a good job in it.
Taja S.
Cincinnati, OH
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Would more taraji p Henson had improved the movie ?