BY SCHOLASTIC. INC.

A chilling tale of survival from the New York Times bestselling author. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the other districts in line by forcing them to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight-to-the-death on live TV. One boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and sixteen are selected by lottery to play. The winner brings riches and favor tohis or her district. But that is nothing compared to what the Capitol wins: one more year of fearful compliance with its rule. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her impoverished district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love. Acclaimed writer Suzanne Collins, author of the New York Times bestselling Underland Chronicles, delivers equal parts suspense and philosophy, adventure and romance, in this stunning novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. see more...

Buy on Walmart*
Jasmine-Symone W.
Phoenix, IL
One of my favorite book series! I love how the main character is female, and that Katniss is fierce, brave, strong, and unapologetic! From the moment she volunteered as tribute for her sister i knew i would fall in love with this character. This series is so beautifully written, and had so many plot twists and surprises! 10/10!!
Hayley H.
Locust Grove, GA
I just finished reading and I NEED the next book! I had already previously watched the movie series and the book is just as good, if not better. I read this book in five days which is an achievement considering I have a toddler running around being mischevious. I highly recommend and can't wait to complete the series!
Julie M.
Newport, MI
I love the storyline and the characters in it. I am a huge bookworm and this is one of my favorite books i own and have read. My husband never reads but had finished this series.
Becca L.
Wonderful series of books. Definitely worth a read if you're into those post apocalyptic world type of book. An easy read, not very complicated. The movies are quite popular. I would read this again.
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1) The novels in the trilogy are titled The Hunger Games(2008), Catching Fire (2009), and Mockingjay (2010). The novels have all been developed into films starring Jennifer Lawrence, with the film adaptation of Mockingjay split into two parts. The first two books in the series were both New York Times best sellers, and Mockingjay topped all US bestseller lists upon its release.[1][2] By the time the film adaptation of The Hunger Games was released in 2012, the publisher had reported over 26 million Hunger Games trilogy books in print, including movie tie-in books.[3]

The Hunger Games universe is a dystopia set in Panem, a country consisting of the wealthy Capitol and 12 districts in varying states of poverty. Every year, children from the districts are selected to participate in a compulsory annual televised death match called The Hunger Games.
Victoria G.
Yet another book that I read because of my little sister! I would come home from work and find the books she was reading laying around, so I would pick them up, start reading, and get hooked! This one is fascinating, very bleak and depressing in setting, but the book itself isn't depressing at all! This isn't a huge book, so it's easily read, but it literally keeps you enthralled the entire time. I'm not a Peeta fan, I loved Gale, but this is still a great book. The movie is good, but it does no justice to the books! I definitely recommend this book, it's fantastic!
#nerdygirl ..
This is a great suspense story for teens and young adults. I can always relate to Katniss because I am a hunter and always love the woods. I love the drama in this story too. I recommend reading this book when you turn 12. It gets pretty gory when they are in the arena. So it may be a little traumatic for younger kids.
Crystal G.
Davisville, WV
The hunger games book is a must read. I really enjoyed the characters and what they have to go through. You get wrapped up in the emotions of the book. I believe it is an affordable book that any one could purchase and be excited to read.
Alize B.
this is an amazing book ! has many elements to it like action, drama, thriller, and even romance ! i find that this series is one of the best and i love that the books have a extra scenes that us bookworms get to enjoy ! i would definitely recommend if you love books that have became movies !
Kylie M.
Salem, OR
So this book was kind of slow to me in the beginning of the book, but it picks up and shifts about 1/3 of the way into the book. This book is affordable and will get you hooked to the series. It is defiantly a better experience reading it than watching the movie.
molly k.
Peeta or Gail?
Becca L.
Which book from the series is your favorite?