BY SCHOLASTIC. INC.

A chilling tale of survival from the New York Times bestselling author. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the other districts in line by forcing them to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight-to-the-death on live TV. One boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and sixteen are selected by lottery to play. The winner brings riches and favor tohis or her district. But that is nothing compared to what the Capitol wins: one more year of fearful compliance with its rule. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her impoverished district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love. Acclaimed writer Suzanne Collins, author of the New York Times bestselling Underland Chronicles, delivers equal parts suspense and philosophy, adventure and romance, in this stunning novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. see more...

Buy on Amazon
Anna A.
Tifton, GA
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I have reread this so many times because I just don’t ever want it to be over. And that really goes for the whole series. I was so intrigued with these books after seeing the previews at the movies. The books really are so much better than the movies. The author is amazing and keeps you enthralled til the very last page where you are still begging for more. Katniss is a main character to root for and someone you would want to be friends with. Her relationship with Peta is beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time. Just read this. You won’t regret it.
Samantha C.
Biloxi, MS
This is one of my favorite series and this first book was so good I read it in two days at a young age.  The details were so deep, raw, and addicting to read.  The characters were so different with some commonalities.  There of course is a love triangle with many debates and theories.  I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants a good read of adventure, sacrifice, and a book that went into a top motion picture.
Áine R.
I read this prior to the movies coming out when I was in fifth grade. I was really not prepared for the plot (I had never read dystopian before) but I loved it. The only thing I didn’t like was the Gale-Peeta-Katniss love triangle.
Jasmine-Symone W.
Phoenix, IL
One of my favorite book series! I love how the main character is female, and that Katniss is fierce, brave, strong, and unapologetic! From the moment she volunteered as tribute for her sister i knew i would fall in love with this character. This series is so beautifully written, and had so many plot twists and surprises! 10/10!!
Brandi B.
Farmington, NM
This is the book that started my love of reading. It may have been a late start, but in high school my teacher gave this to me. Love, suspense, believable bravery, compassion, and kick a$$ woman all around I love it
Kate J.
W Barnstable, MA
I loved the first book in this trilogy but they got progressively weaker. The final novel is basically one long novel and I need a bit more story line in my books. I think this needed to be a 4 book series and it suffered from being severely compressed.
Hayley H.
Locust Grove, GA
I just finished reading and I NEED the next book! I had already previously watched the movie series and the book is just as good, if not better. I read this book in five days which is an achievement considering I have a toddler running around being mischevious. I highly recommend and can't wait to complete the series!
Becca L.
Wonderful series of books. Definitely worth a read if you're into those post apocalyptic world type of book. An easy read, not very complicated. The movies are quite popular. I would read this again.
Julie M.
Newport, MI
I love the storyline and the characters in it. I am a huge bookworm and this is one of my favorite books i own and have read. My husband never reads but had finished this series.
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1) The novels in the trilogy are titled The Hunger Games(2008), Catching Fire (2009), and Mockingjay (2010). The novels have all been developed into films starring Jennifer Lawrence, with the film adaptation of Mockingjay split into two parts. The first two books in the series were both New York Times best sellers, and Mockingjay topped all US bestseller lists upon its release.[1][2] By the time the film adaptation of The Hunger Games was released in 2012, the publisher had reported over 26 million Hunger Games trilogy books in print, including movie tie-in books.[3]

The Hunger Games universe is a dystopia set in Panem, a country consisting of the wealthy Capitol and 12 districts in varying states of poverty. Every year, children from the districts are selected to participate in a compulsory annual televised death match called The Hunger Games.
molly k.
Peeta or Gail?
Becca L.
Which book from the series is your favorite?