BY SCHOLASTIC. INC.

A chilling tale of survival from the New York Times bestselling author. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the other districts in line by forcing them to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight-to-the-death on live TV. One boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and sixteen are selected by lottery to play. The winner brings riches and favor tohis or her district. But that is nothing compared to what the Capitol wins: one more year of fearful compliance with its rule. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her impoverished district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love. Acclaimed writer Suzanne Collins, author of the New York Times bestselling Underland Chronicles, delivers equal parts suspense and philosophy, adventure and romance, in this stunning novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. see more...

Buy on Amazon
Natalie A.
Natalie A.
This is one of my favorite books ever. I really enjoy reading dystopian society books, and this is no different. This is actually what probably got me into reading about dystopian societies. If you've seen the movie and haven't read the book, you're missing out! Definitely read it and the rest of the series. It's so suspenseful and written so clearly that you can picture everything perfectly in your mind as it's happening. Full of action and a little romance, and a great plot that develops as you keep reading. Not a single complaint or criticism about this book. It's so fun to read.
Lydia H.
Lydia H.
Peoria, AZ
I love to read and heard about this trilogy of books and at first I was not interested but a few of my friends read them and loved them so they recommended them to me. I was honestly impressed it was different from what I though the plot would be and kept me reading. The writing is vivid I know many people don't like the movies but the books are way different and better would recommend them to other.
Krystal A.
Krystal A.
I remember turning my nose up at my classmates who had this book in their hands and then the day after I graduated I went out and bought it. I remember my best friend laughing at me and telling me I've been sucked in but I didn't care because after the first few chapter I was totally in love with this book. I stayed up all night to finish it. It's truly amazing and keeps you on your toes!
Megan S.
Megan S.
Stephanie Meyer really outdoes herself with The Hinger Games. It was truly enthralling, capturing my interest and refusing to let go. The plot line is unlike any other I have encountered. It is such a thrilling representation of a post apocalyptic society with deeply rooted and relatable characters. I would definitely recommend the book for your and old readers alike.
Serena O.
Serena O.
Denver, CO
I hadn't read the books before I watched the first film. After watching the first film, I knew right away I had to read the book! Boy was I right! This book was such a fast read for me because I simply could not put it down! I love the story line, and the characters. The amount of details is amazing! I love Katniss and how strong she is!
Emily S.
Emily S.
Portland, MI
I loved the first book of the Hunger Game series. I couldn't put it down! I still enjoyed the second book as well, because it seemed to follow a similar, but still interesting, plot as the first book. By the third book when things got very political, I wasn't as absorbed and less interested.
molly k.
molly k.
Loved the trilogy! I wasn't really sure how I was gonna like it since I saw the first movie before reading the books, and I wasn't patient enough for the sequels to come out so I bought the books and read through them faster then I have any other series! I absolutely loved the ups and downs!
Regina M.
Regina M.
If you like of series this is a great serie of books for you. I prefer Harry Potter, but how I log series I tried Hunger Games. I know it's a little teenager, so if it's not your thing you should try other kind off books. But I really like this kind of series.
Brittany R.
Brittany R.
Grove City, PA
This is such a great series! One of the first dystopian books that I read and still one of my favorites. Katniss is a strong female lead and carries the story along. This is a fast paced book that you will read in one sitting.
Megan C.
Megan C.
Somerset, KY
Great series! I really love the first two books in the series (the third, no so much). These books are so easy to read and even easier to get caught up in! I recommended these books to anyone looking for an interesting series