BY KNOPF DOUBLEDAY PUBLISHING GROUP

Margaret Atwood, Hardcover, English-language edition, Pub by Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group on 09-29-2015 see more...

Denee J.
May contain spoilers
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

“Be the person you’ve always wanted to be, they’d said at Positron. Is this the person she’s always wanted to be?” (loc. 1490)

The Heart Goes Last is sort of a situational dystopian sci-fi. I say “situational” because the characters chose to enter in what they believed to be a Utopia (a quick fix, per se) that revealed itself as really a dystopian society.

“That didn’t last, though. The happiness. The safeness. The now.” (loc. 273)

The beginning started off well enough, though it was a bit tedious reading about Stan and Charmaine’s day to day life of being down-in-the-dumps and living in a car, at least it made sense. It soon turned weird after they entered the Consilience/Positron project, as it basically turned into the fantasies and lives of several people. Unless the constant fantasies and actions were a metaphor or symbol for something else (maybe greed? I don’t know,) it made no sense and did not contribute to the book at all. Just when I didn’t think the plot could get any more weirder, it gets even more ridiculous in the end, with Stan and his stint as an Elvis impersonator.

“‘Every day is different. Isn’t it better to do something because you’ve decided to? Rather than because you have to.’” (loc. 5488)

In all, the premise of the book sounded great, with an environment that mirrored the Stanford Prison experiment, I was pumped to read a thrilling dystopian sci-fi. However, it went by the wayside as I didn’t feel like there was any continuity in the book, and it was like several different stores being told at once. This book sort of felt like a psychedelic George Orwell, and it left me with no respect, or care, for any of the characters and their bizarre situations. I really wish the plot was more cohesive, and although I’m sure there some people this book would resonate with, it was unfortunately not for me.

----------

Galley provided by Edelweiss via Random House Doubleday
*Quotes are from uncorrected advanced galleys and may change before going to press. Please refer to the final printed book for official quotes.
Sierra A.
Roanoke, VA
I have been a huge fan of Margaret Atwood for years and love all of her books. Her latest book does not disappoint!! I highly recommend this book to her fans and also to people's who are looking for something new to read.
Leena B.
Ottawa
Not my favourite Atwood novel but nevertheless it's still very good. True to her style be characters are real and largely unlikable which is hard to get into but it's still a good read. I recommend.