Arts & CraftsMediaBBC
The Great British Bake Off

The Great British Bake Off

by BBC

The Great British Bake Off, often referred to as Bake Off or GBBO, is a BAFTA award-winning British television baking competition first shown by BBC Two on 17 August 2010. It is presented by Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, and judged by cookery writer Mary Berry and professional baker Paul Hollywood. Aired under the name The Great British Baking Show in the United States, the competition selects from amongst its contestants the best amateur baker.

The programme operates on a weekly elimination process to find the best all-around baker from the contestants who are all amateurs. The applicants to the show are assessed by a researcher, followed by an audition in London with two of their bakes. They then undergo a screen test and an interview with a producer. A second audition involves the applicants baking two recipes for judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood in front of the cameras. Ten contestants were chosen for the first series, twelve for the following two series, thirteen for the fourth, and back to twelve for the fifth and sixth.

In each episode, the amateur bakers are given three challenges: a signature bake, a technical challenge, and a show-stopper. The three challenges take place over two days, and the filming takes up to 16 hours a day. The contestants are assessed by the judges who then choose a "Star Baker" for the week (introduced in series 2), and a contestant is also eliminated. In the final round, three bakers are left and a winner is chosen from the three.

Signature Challenge

This challenge is for the amateur bakers to show off their tried-and-tested recipes for bakes they might make for their friends and family.

Technical Challenge

This challenge requires enough technical knowledge and experience to produce a certain finished product when given only limited – or even minimal – instructions. The bakers are all given the same recipe and are not told beforehand what the challenge will be. The finished products are judged blind and ranked from worst to best.

Showstopper Challenge

This challenge is for the bakers to show off their skills and talent.

The judges favor a bake that is both of a professional appearance but is also outstanding in taste.In the first series, the location of the cast and crew move from town to town each week, but starting from the second series, the competition is held in one location in a specially constructed marquee. Interspersed in the programme are the background of the contestants as well as video vignettes on the history of baking. What each baker intends to bake during a particular challenge is illustrated using animated graphics. These graphics have been created by illustrator Tom Hovey since the show's inception in 2010.

Where can you watch this in the US/online?
What's your favorite baked good from the show?
Start your review of The Great British Bake Off!
How would you rate this product?
Martha G.
Saint Paul, MN
This by far is my favorite competitive cooking show of all. Oh I love cooking shows and this is a baking show that shows talent ingenuity and people from all walks of life that are basically self taught. Baking isn’t art and the judges and the hosts that they have had every season have been amazing plus Paul Hollywood’s eyes are always a treat to look at !
Andrea M.
I cannot get enough of this show y’all! I binge watched all of the episodes on Netflix right after I had my baby when she would take naps. It’s so addicting. I eat these episodes like popcorn. I highly highly recommend it! It’s a baking competition show.
Rosy N.
Apex, NC
I watched Great British Bake of 2018 in Netflix. It was nice watching all the episodes and all the contestants were talented enough to participate. No drama, no lagging, only baking !! 🔥 I like the hosts too ! So funny they were. Love the show!
Susanna G.
This is the only television show you will ever need. It's summer and it's pouring down rain and the British bakers are struggling to temper their chocolate. Paul Hollywood gazes at their creations with his piercing blue eyes and says it's not too bad. Mary Berry is an angel sent to heal us from the ravages of contemporary life. If you like crisp shortbread, you'll love this show. Five stars. Always.
Amy S.
I love this show! It's a refreshing reality show because of how tasteful, supportive, and down to earth the contestants are. The goods they bake are just beautiful and leave my mouth watering for some sweets, breads, and pie every time. It's an absolute treat for your eyes to watch this show!
Stacey M.
South Windsor, CT
I really enjoy watching this show! It's fun to see all of the interesting bakes they come up with. I love getting to know all of the contestants, and really become attached to some! It's just a fun show to watch, as I'm sadly not smart enough to figure out how to try any of the recipes. I'm always excited when Netflix let's me know there are new episodes! And I've loved watching the holiday episodes this Christmas season with some of my favorite bakers back in the tent!
Brittney Lee G.
Fort Smith, AR
I haven't seen a whole lot of this show but I've seen quite a bit of it tho. !! 💋💋💋🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰
Renee H.
San Marcos, TX
I love this show so much! It’s a great cooking show in general. But it goes a step further to involve technical cooking information. My favorite part of the show is that the contestants are so kind to each other. It’s so heart-warming. Americans are awful compared to these Brits!
Jen R.
I honestly didn't think I would enjoy this show, but surprisingly this has become one of my favorites! As one reviewer puts it, it's refreshing and doesn't even compare to the baking shows that you see on the Food network or Cooking channel. I love the camaraderie and support each of the contestants have for one another on this show despite how crazy technical the challenges can be and how straightforward the judges are.

I've grown to love Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood and get a kick out of the other 2 hosts with their humor. I live for Mary's scrummy comments and Paul's poker face. I like the show's setting and how the contestants have various challenges to do each week. The custom desserts are amazing and I always get cravings every time I watch this show! Love it!

Katherine V.
El Paso, TX
The BEST show on television? YES. I love Paul and Mary. Their scrummy bakes inspire me to get in the kitchen to experiment with my culinary prowess. Entertaining and educational. A must watch for anyone with a pulse.