BY THE GIVER #10 in Books

Read by Ron Rifkin 4 hours, 48 minutes 4 CD's December is the time of the annual Ceremony at which each twelve-year-old receives a life assignment determined by the Elders. Jonas watches his friend Fiona named Caretaker of the Old and his cheerful pal Asher labeled the Assistant Director of Recreation. But Jonas has been chosen for something special. When his selection leads him to an unnamed man-the man called only the Giver-he begins to sense the dark secrets that underlie the fragile perfection of his world. see more...

Buy on Target
  • "We read this in middle school as a class and it really was such a good book it always kept me on my toes and i always caught myself reading ahead!" in 74 reviews
  • "This is my ultimate favorite book ever since my teacher made us read it back in 8th grade Omg It's just so awesome, & I also love the movie 😭 It's amazing I can read it over & over " in 46 reviews
  • "I remember reading this book when I was in high school and I just didn't understand it until I read it again in my senior year." in 35 reviews
  • "This was on reading lists when I was in elementary school almost twenty years ago, and I think it's important that kids still continue to read it now. " in 22 reviews
  • "I remember reading this book for the first time as a young kid and thinking "so this is everything we're supposed to rebel against"." in 20 reviews
Victoria M.
Jacksonville, AR
This is one of my most favorite books. It has such a great story line and captures amazing perspectives on the world. My favorite character is the seeker. This book is about a world in black and white, everyone is always told what to do and they don't make any choices for themselves. They are told who they will spend forever with, their houses are given to them, their children are matched to them and they have to take shots so that they don't have emotions such as love or sadness. Everything in this world is so fake and put together and a boy gets his job as a seeker. As a seeker he has to take in all the information about what the world is supposed to be like and experience each one of those feelings and memories such as color, snow, love and sadness. The boy realizes what kind of world they are missing out on and does everything in his power to fix it. This book is great and I would recommend this to anyone looking for something deep.

Macee K.
Minneola, KS
This is another great distopia book. It’s a very intriguing world. We were introduced to this when I was a sixth grader. This a great piece to teach with or just for fun. It is kinda intense in its underlying themes. There is a lot of things going on in this book. I didn’t realize until recently that there were other books in this series. I can’t wait to read them.
Erin M.
Butler, NJ
Bookworm Expert Level 1
This book is a great classic dystopian story about a boy who lives in a world of gray. Everyone and everything is the same and no emotion can be felt by anyone. When he meets the giver, everything changes. It really makes you think about the real world and how equality is valued so much, but this takes another perspective about the complete opposite of no-equality if there is too much equality. It is a great novel to get teenagers and adults thinking about our world in comparison to the giver's world.
Sarah C.
Sierra Vista, AZ
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I read this originally in 8th grade English class and I loved it ever since. I didn't realize it until years later that it was the first book of the series. It's an easy to read book and it does leave a cliff hanger at the end so you have to read the other books to see what happens. This does bring up the whole social issue of what could happen if the government makes a society to which everyone, once reaching pubity, starts taking stuff to suppress feelings, not being able to see color, and many others. Because of that this is on the banned book list and I suggest reading this book even more. There's a lot of stuff going on in this book that I rather you read than me saying any more.
Jessica M.
Bethlehem, PA
This is one of my favorite childhood novels. It's a book that really stays with you and is poignant and almost haunting. I wish they had not made it into a movie, because that was just not as good as the classic. I would definitely say it's a must-read for children and adults alike.
Tracy G.
Clearwater, FL
Bookworm Expert Level 1
The Giver was one of my favorite books growing up. I remembered it when I saw advertisements for the movie coming out and I got so excited. Although the movie wasn't bad I think my imagination did a better job portraying the story. I highly highly highly recommend that you read this book.
Emily S.
I'm not sure about this audiobook, but I am such a fan of this book. It is a fairly dark and deep story set in a dystopian (or seemingly utopian) society. It covers so many relevant themes for today, such as war, censorship, and abortion. I read this book in the 6th grade and still love it today!
Jerikah B.
Tuscaloosa, AL
I loved this book. I love to read but never read this up until I was out of high school and I don't know why it took me so long to read this gem. It was amazing, captivating and thought provoking. Loved it.
Marie K.
Powell, TN
After watching the movie, which I absolutely loved, I decided to read the book as well! Needless to say, I loved it even more. Great writing style a story line. Everyone should read it at least once in their life! I'm definitely going to continue reading this series!
Rachel B.
Fort Wayne, IN
One of my all-time favorite books. If you have yet to read it and have seen the movie, don't judge the book by it. Although I enjoyed the movie, it was nothing compared to the power and impact the novel had on me. I could read it over and over.
Bianca I.
Humacao
Is the movie better than the book?
Bree P.
Long beach, CA
Is the movie as good as the book?
EJ P.
Wayne, PA
Did anyone read this in high school or as an adult?
Yesenia S.
North Hills, CA
Has anyone seen the movie? I dread it will ruin the book for me , it's my all time favorite read!
Sarah  E.
Anderson, SC
Does this book also have a movie made after it?