BY JOHN GREEN #6 in Books

The Fault in Our Stars
  • "I recommend everyone to read this book, very very well written storyline pulls you and makes you want to keep readingtouching story" in 84 reviews
  • "Probably the BEST book I could have ever read, its so good i could read it 2 times and im not a two time reader or watcher either." in 76 reviews
  • "It doesn't matter if you're male or female or how old you are (or if you think "young-adult" books aren't for you, this is a must read. " in 65 reviews
  • "Definitely a tear jerker 8 ( they get you to fall in love with the characters then throw you curveballs you didn't even see coming " in 60 reviews
  • "This are the best books, those you can totally get lost in and when they end you find yourself lost in your own sea of thoughts and feelings, trying to understate the effect a simple compilations of ink, paper and words." in 50 reviews

I don't think anyone could depict this book any better than Jodi Picoult did when she described it as, "Electric...filled with staccato bursts of humor and tragedy." The Fault in Our Stars isn't your average story about a teenager fighting cancer. It's a story about a teenager LIVING with cancer in every sense of the word. Cancer isn't the enemy here, dying is. Cancer is trying to live and grow as much as the person it becomes a part of.

We learn right from the beginning that Hazel is terminal, and expect to lose her at the end of the story. What we don't expect is the relationships she builds when she meets Isaac and Augustus, and the twists the story takes as it unfolds. We expect the world around these kids to stop moving because they have cancer, as if hit by a "grenade". We find out that life does go on, for those with cancer and those without.

I found myself filled to the brim with emotion while reading this book. Many different emotions. I went in to this expecting to be overcome with nothing but sadness and pity for Hazel and, instead, found myself living through her, feeling happiness, humor, excitement, and grief. I fell in love with Augustus, felt pity for Isaac, and felt joy for Hazel. I felt the friendship between Augustus and Isaac and felt the passion between Hazel and Augustus. I learned what it felt like to be a parent to a child with cancer.

The Fault in Our Stars became one of my favorite books over night and I only wish I was able to properly convey how full my heart felt after reading this. John Green infused this story with so much emotion that you feel like you are living Hazel's life with her. Cancer is that "four letter word" that no one wants to hear or live with. It is automatically assumed that the quality of life, for both the cancer patient and those around them, suffers and leaves no room for love, laughter, and happiness, but life still goes on, and these precious moments are still felt and lived, despite the sadness, sickness, and impending demise.
Makenzie F.
Francesville, IN
My favorite book/movie of all time. If you've never read or seen it you need to! Is a sad book with a love story its about a girl named hazel she has cancer she goes to support groups with a boy named agustus they meet and become friend agustus always wanted to be more than friends. They were getting closer and closer and agustus also had cancer and when you young and have cancer you ask for one wish and they give it to you well hazel though she wasn't gonna make it when she was young so she used her wish on Disney Land when she was about 10 years old. But agustus hasn't used his yet. Hazel was I love with a writer and always wanted to meet him. So agustus uses his dying wish to take hazel to Amsterdam to meet him. But the author she was to meet was so rude but they still had an amazing time but when they got back home things went a little down hill I can't tell you the whole story or it will turn it but best book/ movie I have ever seen/read. You should check it out!
Katie G.
Valparaiso, IN
I am probably going to get some heat for rating this book with a two but let me explain myself.
To begin: John Green is a great writer. He uses beautiful phrasing and wonderful sentence structure. I love his other books, but this one is quite possibly the worst.
The book itself is fine, but each time I read it (either for pleasure only once, or for my college courses on Young Adult Literature), I get more and more annoyed. First off: romanticizing and glamorizing a chronic and deadly illness is awful. His representation of cancer is untrue and subpar at best. Second: this book is the epitome of YAL fluff: unnecessary romance, the savior boy with no personality outside of his relationship with the girl, teenage angst, etc.
Read his other books, save yourself the time.
Hanna V.
Omaha, NE
Not my favorite John Green book, but seems to be well loved by most. I remember reading this one and crying throughout the whole thing. Its definitely a sad, but beautiful story. The movie is pretty spot on as well. If you're looking for a good young-adult romcom (sorta?) then this is the book for you, but have you tissues ready because this is a 5 alarm snot bomb.
Amanda g.
West Newton, PA
One of my all time favorites. It mixes humor and pain in a way that captivates the reader. I finished it all in one sitting, I could not put the book down! Not to mention, John Green does so much for his fan base. He's one of the best authors I have read and followed on social media! I recommend this to everyone.
Brooke B.
Absolutely fell in love with this book and the author John Green. It's a beautifully written love story that pulls on all the right heart strings. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a great love story, and a good cry lol. I have read this book a million times and I would read it a million more.
Victoria M.
Jacksonville, AR
This book is so sad and so touching. John Green nails the aspect and spent a lot of time studying to make this book as true as possible. In the book a girl with cancer and depression (side effect of dying she says) goes to a help group with other cancer patients. There she falls in love with a boy, Augustus Waters, to learn the true happiness in life and to enjoy the time she has on this earth. They go through many trials to find out that they both have terminal cancer and will die soon. They spend moments being there for each other. I really loved this book .
Blythe H.
I was gifted this by a friend and there was enough buzz surrounding it that I thought it might be worth checking out.

Maybe I'm cynical and maybe it's because I'm in the mid-thirties, but this was just painful to read and not in the emotional sense.  I might recommend this for 10-12 year olds, but this is heavy on the melodrama and the dialogue is something out of a George Lucas script.  I was cringing constantly.  Discerning readers will find even the tender moments obnoxious.  Hard pass.
Kat T.
To be completely honest, I only read this book because people kept raving about it, making me hyped for this book and hoping to shed a tear or two, as that is what most people have reacted after reading it. Unfortunately this was not the case for me. I thought the story was alright, nothing special, and no tears were shed upon completing this book. Perhaps if this book wasn't overhyped to the point where my expectations will never meet, then I might've enjoyed it more.
Lisa G.
Made me laugh and cry and run to see the movie the night it came out. John Green is an amazing author and I think this is his best book. If you’re curious about the girl Hazel was based on I recommend This Star Won’t Go Out ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Maria V.
Out of all of John Green's books which is your favorite?
Lydia S.
Bargersville, IN
Do you guys like the book or the movie better?
Alyssa Y.
Is this book going to make me bawl like a baby like the movie did?
Natalie A.
Covington, GA
Who else cried while reading the book?
Caitlynn G.
Hickory, NC
So I'm not sure if I should read this book or not... I've heard mixed reviews. Anyone know if its honestly worth the read?