BY JOHN GREEN #5 in Books

The Fault in Our Stars
  • "I recommend everyone to read this book, very very well written storyline pulls you and makes you want to keep readingtouching story" in 84 reviews
  • "Probably the BEST book I could have ever read, its so good i could read it 2 times and im not a two time reader or watcher either." in 76 reviews
  • "It doesn't matter if you're male or female or how old you are (or if you think "young-adult" books aren't for you, this is a must read. " in 65 reviews
  • "Definitely a tear jerker 8 ( they get you to fall in love with the characters then throw you curveballs you didn't even see coming " in 60 reviews
  • "This are the best books, those you can totally get lost in and when they end you find yourself lost in your own sea of thoughts and feelings, trying to understate the effect a simple compilations of ink, paper and words." in 50 reviews
Caitlyn W.
Bookworm Expert
I read this a long time ago before the movie was announced and it became so mainstream. It was ok but I had a lot of problems with it. I could rant about this for a while but I'll keep it short. This book romanticizes cancer. Dying is not romantic. Cancer is NOT romantic. This book led to a stream of YA books that focused on cancer being a romantic thing. While I do like John Greens writing style, I don't think he handled cancer in a very realistic way. No paren't in their right mind would let their teenager who is very at risk with his cancer go across the world to Amsterdam without a nurse or anything. The parents in this book are irresponsible and leave their teenagers alone far to often. Not too mention how pretentious Augustus is. Then again, most of John Green's characters are. Anyway, there are better YA contemporary books out there. I wouldn't waste my time on this.
Andra D.
New Prt Rchy, FL
To be considered a good book, all characters have to at least be distinct and believable. The Fault in Our Stars doesn't even meet this most basic requirement. The characters in this book all talk the same way and think the same way. Hazel, the main character, her boyfriend Augustus, the messed-up writer, etc; you cannot tell them apart from their conversation. They are basically the same person: the author John Green. I was extremely disappointed. Don't believe the rave reviews. A staring contest, really? Augustus only noticed her because she looked like his dead GF... so original.
Hazel and Augustus knew each-other for a couple months. And she agreed to travel around the world with him. They hardly knew each-other. Hazel couldn't even tell his sisters apart, or remember their names.
Kayla C.
One of the first problems I encountered was that the kids were wise beyond their years. And I don't mean intelligent, I mean wise. They came out with things that really only suit people who've been alive a few centuries - like Dumbledore or Gandalf - or at the very least people who are sat comfortably in middle age. I like that Green doesn't patronise his readers by oversimplifying things or dumbing down characters in a condescending effort to appeal to teenagers, but these characters behave in a way that is unnatural to the point where sometimes it is verging on ridiculous. It's not completely unbelievable that some kids exist who are actually like this, but they definitely don't all speak and behave in this way.
Jessica W.
Battle Ground, WA
There are books that make you laugh, some that make you cry, some that make you think. This book does all those things. At times reading this book, it made me feel like I wasn't smart enough to even compare with the main characters, but I still loved them. I love the love story, I loved the relationship. If you walked up to me and asked me if I wanted to read a book about teenagers with cancer I would have said no. Flat out. But because it was by the wonderful John Green I gave it a chance because I can trust the stories that he writes and the places he takes me with his work. This book was no less exception, in fact it is my personal favorite book that he has done by far. I wish everyone could read this book.
Heather W.
Fremont, CA
This is one of my favorite books. I was nearly sobbing the whole second half of the book but I think it's amazing when someone's words can touch you in that way. You feel the story and feel what the characters are feeling- you almost feel so wrapped up in the story you feel like it's happening to someone you know and love. This book struck that cord with me. I also saw the movie and it is one of those things where the book is still better. There is just something about using your own imagination and thought process to be a part of the book.
jessica v.
Mesa, AZ
I read this book before I saw the movie, and while it does talk about serious things, such as cancer and dying, I cant help but feel that it was a bit overrated. Nothing about cancer is romantic. It's a sad and hard thing to go through, and while I felt that the story was okay, sometimes I was left wondering if the characters were real. sometimes the things that were done or told in the book, made me wonder. While I liked mr. Greens writing, i felt as though the story was interesting also.
Vanna L.
Colorado Spgs, CO
I received this book as a gift from a friend who raved about how good it was, but after reading it, I was left a bit disappointed. It was very easy reading, but I found the plot to be a bit stale and the characters were one dimensional and trite. The ending was also horrible, but then again I don't know what I expected. I think this book would be great for young teens, but while I do Iike some of John Green's works, this book was definitely not one of my favorites.
Bree C.
Salem, MA
I really liked this book. It's sweet and pretty realist without making it over detailed and gross. Having gone through cancer and chemo treatments myself I felt like it was pretty relatable and yes, it is fiction, things are a little romanticized and minimized, trust me you don't want every gory detail of life with cancer or every sickening hospital fact, but if you see in mind it's a novel it's pretty good and even though it is sad, I enjoyed every page!
Irene G.
I absolutely loved this book. When I bought it the lady told me, "Buy a box of tissues to go with it." I thought to yself, "It can't be that much of a tear jerker." Boy was I wrong!! John Green is a fabulous writer, really brings the characters to life so much so that you'll cry along with everyone else. My heart felt the happiness, the pain, the love everything. I would recommend this book to anyone! Great story, & I didn't want it to end.
Lindsey C.
I cried. I can't explain how emotional I was when reading this book. John Green knows how to captivate you. I have read three John Green books and this is by far my favorite. I loved every second of it. A quick read because you fall in love with the story. I recommend that you watch the movie after the book because it's very good and just as captivating and emotional. I just can't say how good this book was, there aren't enough words.
Maria V.
Out of all of John Green's books which is your favorite?
Lydia S.
Bargersville, IN
Do you guys like the book or the movie better?
Alyssa Y.
Is this book going to make me bawl like a baby like the movie did?
Natalie A.
Covington, GA
Who else cried while reading the book?
Caitlynn G.
Hickory, NC
So I'm not sure if I should read this book or not... I've heard mixed reviews. Anyone know if its honestly worth the read?