BY JOHN GREEN #5 in Books

The Fault in Our Stars
  • "I recommend everyone to read this book, very very well written storyline pulls you and makes you want to keep readingtouching story" in 84 reviews
  • "Probably the BEST book I could have ever read, its so good i could read it 2 times and im not a two time reader or watcher either." in 76 reviews
  • "It doesn't matter if you're male or female or how old you are (or if you think "young-adult" books aren't for you, this is a must read. " in 65 reviews
  • "Definitely a tear jerker 8 ( they get you to fall in love with the characters then throw you curveballs you didn't even see coming " in 60 reviews
  • "This are the best books, those you can totally get lost in and when they end you find yourself lost in your own sea of thoughts and feelings, trying to understate the effect a simple compilations of ink, paper and words." in 50 reviews
Sarah O.
Washington, DC
WARNING: THERE WILL BE SPOILERS!

EXPECTATION: I had high expectations for this book. I have heard/seen countless praise for John Green and his books, especially The Fault In Our Stars. I knew the book was about cancer, so I expect different emotions to occur when I go through the book.

REACTION: Before you read this review and view it as negative, don’t. I really like John Green as a person but this book just is not five stars to me. This is the first book I have read by John Green. I do own almost all of his other books but this is the first I have read. I was hoping to finish it before I watch the movie and I am happy I finished it. (Still have yet to see the movie, but I’m looking forward to it). There are many different details throughout the book that I enjoyed. I really liked how he talked about the Children’s Hospitals and the difference between them and “regular” hospitals. Children’s hospitals are always more colorful and bright compared to other hospitals. I myself, can vouch for that having been going to a Children’s Hospital since before I was born. I definitely like them more. Anyway, back to the book, Augustus getting sick again wasn’t really a surprise, I felt like it would happen that way, when I was reading it. It is still sad none-the-less. Hazel naming her breathing machine made me giggle since I have named my own. I can definitely tell that John Green wrote this book because I have watched his Youtube videos enough that his voice and his personality can be seen throughout the book. I think that the storyline is average, honestly to me it’s just another cancer book. I think all of the characters were similar to each other. I think the humor in the book was not very fitting for the overall topic of the book. The conversations felt unrealistic. Maybe it’s just me. I really liked the end of the book. I liked that the letter wasn’t to Hazel. Overall I enjoyed the book and I’m glad I read it. I think the hype was just a bit much for me. I’m giving this a three out of five stars.
Makenzie F.
North Judson, IN
My favorite book/movie of all time. If you've never read or seen it you need to! Is a sad book with a love story its about a girl named hazel she has cancer she goes to support groups with a boy named agustus they meet and become friend agustus always wanted to be more than friends. They were getting closer and closer and agustus also had cancer and when you young and have cancer you ask for one wish and they give it to you well hazel though she wasn't gonna make it when she was young so she used her wish on Disney Land when she was about 10 years old. But agustus hasn't used his yet. Hazel was I love with a writer and always wanted to meet him. So agustus uses his dying wish to take hazel to Amsterdam to meet him. But the author she was to meet was so rude but they still had an amazing time but when they got back home things went a little down hill I can't tell you the whole story or it will turn it but best book/ movie I have ever seen/read. You should check it out!
Laurie H.
My first thought was: "Oh no. John Green has written a manic pixie dream boy."

I mean... I was a smart teenager. I'm a pretty smart post-teenager. I'm a poet. I greatly enjoy thinking philosophically. However, at 16, I sure did not talk like the teenagers do in the book. They're all perfectly clever philosophers who are always seeking to say something quotable and meaningful. For pete's sake, their conversations are entire blocks of text.

I never really "got" the characters as real people. They were just too perfect. The book itself tries way too hard to be profound.

This is not to say that the book isn't good. It is. I would recommend it as a good book. It was truly sad and emotional, but as for the heart-wrenching, kids-dying-of-cancer sadness, the book didn't quite pull it off for me.

Although, the number one thing I appreciated about this book was the humor, which was one of the reasons that I gave it a 3 instead of a 2. Humor aside, even I’ll admit there were quite a few quotes that I liked, and there were some really great observations about life.

Overall, the book didn't make me cry because it supposedly tells a "truer-than-true" tale of cancer patients. All I accumulated over the 313 pages is that Augustus is improbably romantic and "oh, my God, why can't someone love me the way he loves Hazel Grace and read poetry to me and look at me like I am a metaphor and say the perfect things at the perfect times oh my GOSH." I'm sure this wasn't the point of the book, but that's all I got from it."

Hazel and Augustus are perfect characters. A Mary Sue and Marty Stu.The only hamartia, or fatal flaw, they both have is their illness; yet, the entire book repeats over and over that cancer does not make them any less of a human. What? How does that not contradict itself?

So there it is: my unpopular opinion.
Samantha C.
Biloxi, MS
This is one of my top three favorites books by John Green and initially how I fell in love with his writing.  I had finished it in two days a few summers ago.  It is a great summer read or a great read on a rainy day.  It is full of realism, romance, sadness, and raw material.  It will definitely stir up your emotions, but it is worth the read.  The details are intimate and deep along with the characters.  Plus it is a movie (although I prefer the novel) which makes the characters even more real.  I do think if you are going to watch this movie, to read the book first to know what the movie doesn't tell you.  I would highly, highly recommend this book.
Daliangelys S.
Doral, FL
I highly recommend this book, I love John Green, seriously all his books are amazing, this is a beautiful book where you fall madly in love with the protagonist and you cry like crazy, despite knowing what was happening before reading it, I could not help but cry Too much when I read it, it's a book and its sentences are just as beautiful, "pain demands to be felt", "you gave me a forever in a few days".
Taylor F.
Springville, NY
I haven’t read this book since it was popular a few years ago. I do remember that the ending was spoiled for me somewhere so I angrily finished the book 😂😂 I haven’t read any of John greens other books except for a short one in a Christmas themed book with other authors, so I can’t compare them but this was good.
Jessica C.
I am not a crier. But boy did this book make me cry. When I saw the movie? I cried so much I forced my friends to go out the side of the theater bc I was ugly crying so bad I didn’t want anyone to see my red puffy face. This book is so good, so funny at times, but so heartbreaking. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes funny, witty, sarcastic, adventurous, and memorable books.
Hanna V.
Omaha, NE
Not my favorite John Green book, but seems to be well loved by most. I remember reading this one and crying throughout the whole thing. Its definitely a sad, but beautiful story. The movie is pretty spot on as well. If you're looking for a good young-adult romcom (sorta?) then this is the book for you, but have you tissues ready because this is a 5 alarm snot bomb.
Savannah S.
Columbus
I read this in the fifth grade. It is a very sad yet charming book that you can get attached to easily. The characters are great and you can get attached to them easily as well! The author, John Green, is an amazing writer, as I have read all of his other books, and he deserves all of the recognition in the world! This is a great book for young adults!!
Abby H.
Hopatcong
Bookworm Expert Level 1
This was such a good read. I made sure to read it before I watched the movie, and ugh it made me cry so much! It is such a tear jerker! It is a love story with loss and so much emotion involved. It’s a really good book that I really recommend you read.
Maria V.
Out of all of John Green's books which is your favorite?
Lydia S.
Bargersville, IN
Do you guys like the book or the movie better?
Alyssa Y.
Is this book going to make me bawl like a baby like the movie did?
Caitlynn G.
Hickory, NC
So I'm not sure if I should read this book or not... I've heard mixed reviews. Anyone know if its honestly worth the read?
Natalie A.
Covington, GA
Who else cried while reading the book?