Arts & CraftsMediaBooksHolly Black
The Cruel Prince (Folk of the Air Series #1)

The Cruel Prince (Folk of the Air Series #1)

by Holly Black

An instant bestseller!

By #1 New York Times bestselling author Holly Black, the first book in a stunning new series about a mortal girl who finds herself caught in a web of royal faerie intrigue.

Of course I want to be like them. They're beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him--and face the consequences.

In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.

Would you say this book is worth reading? Ive been thinking about buying it but I don’t know wether to?
How is this the cruel prince? Do the characters become likable? The Cruel Prince (Folk of the Air Series #1)
Start your review of The Cruel Prince (Folk of the Air Series #1)!
How would you rate this product?
Jessica B.
Bookworm Expert Level 1
The Cruel Prince (Folk of the Air Series #1) uploaded by Jessica B.
Definitely worth the hype. The sort of novel you devour in one sitting. Sharp and fast paced story with a vivid prose and highly potent set of connections. If you like vibrant characters tangled up in fantasy, Holly Black has your back.
Kaitlynn B.
The Cruel Prince (Folk of the Air Series #1) uploaded by Kaitlynn B.
I loved this book! It was an awesome read and really captured my attention. I loved Jude and her character development in this book. I took off a star because while it is a good read, it didn’t completely wow me and I wish there was more romance and progression between the characters.
Booki T.
Old Bridge
Bookworm Expert Level 1
The Cruel Prince (Folk of the Air Series #1) uploaded by Booki T.
I’m in love with this series! I finished it a couple months ago and i’m always tempted to reread it. It’s full of power, witty conversations, and love. I definitely recommend to anyone getting into fantasy or enemies to lovers :)) Cruel Prince bookmark set from my etsy shop @bookithoughtsnthings ❤️
Shelby-Anne R.
Ocala, FL
Bookworm Expert Level 1
This is one of those books you cant put down you just get aytach to it love how well pace this book was it didnt go too face or too slow amazing from beginning to end i love the characters jude is definetly one of my favourite characters.
Janzen F.
Saint Louis, MO
I absolutely loved this book!!! A wondrous fantasy novel that is easy to get invested in. So many great plot twists and high intensity. There were many suspenceful moments! 📖📚
Tiffany K.
Kalamazoo , MI
A unique take within a far world. Fantastic world building. Intriguing political tactics, and complex characters. Strong female heroine with an unbelievable adventure, leaves you wanting more. Holly Blacks narrative has a life of its own that you can't look away from, keeping you on your toes the entire time with suspense.
Belle B.
Matheny, WV
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I had heard so much about this book that I bought the first and second one and boy was it worth it. These books and this author is incredible and I adore every single book i have ever read that she has written.
Crystal J.
Elkhart, IN
Beautifully written! The fantastic beginning to a series I couldn't put down. I ordered the next one the minute I finished Cruel Prince. The plot keeps you guessing, you fall in love with the characters, and it leaves you wanting more!
The Cruel Prince was one that I really wanted to fall in love with. And, I did, to an extent. Superficially, it was alluring and enchanting, and captivated me in the moment. Depth-wise, it just didn't stick with me like I had hoped.

This isn't to say it was a bad book. The story was magical and intense. The writing was absolutely gorgeous, but, every time I put the book down to come back to it at a later time, I found it to be less than memorable. I struggled to remember what I had previously read during those gaps of not reading, and found myself backing up to refresh myself before being able to continue.

The imagination of the world was spot on. It was vivid and colorful, and had a darkness to it. The characters within the world were a different story.

I never felt fully invested in any of the characters. I was never sold on any of their personalities, and never felt like they grew. Then, of course, there was the bullying.

Bullying is not necessarily a trigger for, though I was bullied in high school, but in this story, it was pretty intense. Definitely hard to read at times, and something I felt needed to be mentioned. Yes, it was part of the story and made for some shocking moments in the plot, and with the characters, but it was a pretty heavy theme.

Overall, I still really enjoyed the book. Despite my negative tone in my review, Holly still made me feel while I was involved in the book. I felt like I was in a dream the entire time. It was vividly enchanting and full of beauty, intrigue, and some shocking and entertaining moments. I loved the ending, and was left wanting more. I will definitely be reading the next book! 3.5-4 stars.

Edna F.
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I’m so in love with the story and characters. I couldn’t put the book down until I finished it. The book is well written and it transports you to another world. My favorite character is prince Cardan. He has a very interesting personality. The books is filled with plots and twists that you are not gonna want to put the book down.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
NerdGirlMakeup S.
Lewisville, TX
il y a 3 ans
Tiffany K. il y a 2 ans
As the series continues you get to know the characters more, why they are the way they are, and things may not be as they first seem. I feel in love with the series actually during the second book.