The Breakfast Club uploaded by Alejandra G.The Breakfast Club uploaded by Leijai H.

BY JOHN HUGHES #33 in Movies

They were five students with nothing in common, faced with spending a Saturday detention together in their high school library. At 7 a.m., they had nothing to say, but by 4 p.m. they had bared their souls to each other and become good friends. John Hughes, creator of the critically acclaimed Sixteen Candles, wrote, directed and produced this hilarious and often touching comedy starring Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy. To the outside world they were simply the Jock, the Brain, the Criminal, the Princess and the Kook, but to each other, they would always be The Breakfast Club.

• Do you think the "labels" jock, nerd, princess, etc. are still pr...9 Answers
  • I remember watching this as a young teen. Loved it! Though not su...21 Answers
  • What is your favorite part of this movie?17 Answers
The Breakfast Club
  • "It's not exactly the most diverse of casts, but it brings back memories for me of my high school (they look so similar!!)" in 28 reviews
  • "I have seen it well over about 60 times and I can narriate every word and every scene perfect.It will always be one of my favorite movies.So go out and explore the movie that is the breakfast club and all its 80s glory! " in 16 reviews
  • "I really like this movie ... haven't seen it in a while but it feels like one of those all time feel-good classic movies." in 16 reviews
  • "This movie never gets old In fact I dont think it ever will I can watch it over and over its a old movie but it still gets played lol" in 14 reviews
  • "I watch it all the time now it's such a great movie and it just proves anyone can get along and be friends if you just try. " in 13 reviews
María S.
Film of the Year 85 ', based on the story of five teenagers who must spend Saturday in detention in the school library. Each represented one of the various cliches of American high: Claire Standish as "Princess" (Milly Ringwald), Andrew Clark as "the athlete" (Emilio Estevez), Brian Johnson as "the brain" (Anthony Michael Hall ), John Bender as "troublemakers" (Judd Nelson) and Allison Reynolds as "rare" (Ally Sheedy). As the story progresses, each realizes they have things in common. "The breakfast club" is a classic of the genre of teen movies. Hugues gender directorial shine especially in the dialogues, credible and fresh, the naturalness of actors and actresses. It is excellent, recommended.
Jennifer S.
All of John Hughes' films have a special place in my heart, but The Breakfast Club has always been my all-time favorite. Each character is unique in their own way and it's easy to see their individual differences, but I think I loved this movie so much because I could see a little part of myself in each of the characters in some way. And even now, it's still relatable because no matter what, in school people are always going to be divided by different interests and activities, so a lot of the moments in the film still resonate today. The late '80s had a lot of awesome movies but this one is a true classic. It seems like a really simple film (and it is, five kids go to Saturday detention and go home) but at the same time it's so much more than that. I think this is one film that all high schoolers have to see at least once in their life.
Ashlie H.
Salem, IL
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I love The Breakfast Club. Its one of my fave movies to watch when its on TV. I love the music and the characters. My favorite scene was when they were all dancing in the library. Like back then, when I was in high school, and high school now there will always be "those" cliques that everyone belongs to. I loved how each character expressed themselves throughout the whole movie.
Kla B.
Bardstown, KY
My mom was a die hard Molly Ringwald fan. She introduced me to all of her movies when I was about 13 years old and I fell in love with each one of them and the breakfast club was no different. I love how it put people from so many different social circles together and made it mesh so well. It helped to inspire me to be the person I was in high school, which made me not hang out with any certain clique but instead I was friends with everyone. And the music I still love to this day is featured in this movie and so many other Molly Ringwald movies. This movie is a must in my honest opinnion.
Evelyn R.
Everyone should watch this movie when they are in high school.  It's not bad for anyone who is in high school. Just don't ruin the movie at an early age when the perfect time to watch it is while you are in high school. I would watch it again and again
Jayme Y.
geneseo, NY
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
A great story through a movie! Made me cry. I suggest every teen should watch this! I love 80s movies
Megan K.
Toronto, OH
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Ah reminds me of high school all over again. (Usually in detention for missing a name tag) but then again school always had its different clicks or whatever you want to call them now. Just because people are different there is always something that brings you together. It was a great movie with great actors...
Mariya K.
This is a classic. I absolutely love this movie even if it is from way before my time. It's just so good. It's not about the plot, its about the people and everyone can relate to it somehow. Its fun and light but at the same time it actually has depth and makes you think about things and yourself
Andrea M.
Russell, KS
My favorite movie from the 80's. I watched this so much that the tape broke (that was in the days of VCR and rewinding and rewatching. Relateable actors and just good fun! A classic genre film.
S N.
I love this movie, it's one of my favorite movies of all time and every time I watch it it feels like the first. Everyone should see this classic, because it just gives off the essence of John Hughes.
Dorothy R.
Fort Worth, TX
I remember watching this as a young teen. Loved it! Though not sure I'd let my young teens watch it now... What's an appropriate age for today's kids to view this movie?
Toni C.
Cadyville, NY
Do you think this movie could be remade using today's crop of Brat Packers?
Krystal D.
Conyers, GA
What is your favorite part of this movie?
Dina A.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Who is your favorite character?
Tiffany T.
Wonder if this would be a hit if they remade now?