BY 20TH CENTURY FOX

Based on the beloved best-selling book comes this profoundly moving story of a girl who transforms the lives of those around her during World War II, Germany. Although Liesel (Sophie Nlisse) is illiterate when she is adopted by a German couple (OSCAR Winner Geoffrey Rush* and Emily Watson*), her adoptive father encourages her to learn to read. Ultimately, the power of words helps Liesel and Max (Ben Schnetzer), a Jew hiding in the familys home, escape from the events unfolding around them in this extraordinary, acclaimed film directed by Brian Percival (Downton Abbey). see more...

Buy on Target
Candice R.
Huntington, WV
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
"The Book Thief" is one of my favorite books of all times and I introduced it into the MS library at my old school years ago. The students loved it (and so did my elderly mom). I bought it for my 7th grade niece and nephew. If they like it I will buy them "Milkweed" by ...... (blanking on the author's name, maybe Jerry Spinelli) and "The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas." All great books dealing with the Holocaust, but told from the point of view of children. I recommend them all to adults, as well as kids.
Taylor W.
Andover, MA
Oh my god, amazing movie. It's from the pint of view of death, which I find quite captivating. My favorite scene is when Liesel and ROUDIe are on the bridge and ROUDIE throws the book off the bridge.
Emilen R.
Silver Spring, MD
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
After learning about WWII in 7th grade history class we got to watch this movie and it brought most of my class to tears
Alejandra R.
Valencia
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Una pelìcula totalmente encantadora. El libro es fabuloso, pero la pelicula es impresionante, supieron hacerle justicia a este gran libro. Merece la pena verla y aun mas si les gusta la lectura. SUPER RECOMENDADA! querràn verla una y otra vez.
Jill D.
Do you think the movie is as good as the book?