BY CHEGG #95 in Books

The extraordinary #1 New York Times bestseller that is now a major motion picture, Markus Zusak's unforgettable story is about the ability of books to feed the soul. It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still. Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can't resist books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement. In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak, author of I Am the Messenger, has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time. From the Hardcover edition. see more...

• Have you seen the movie? 5 Answers
  • Would you consider this a "Must Read"?4 Answers
  • Can someone give a quick summary of this? I bought it and...5 Answers
Odette S.
Hialeah Gardens
This book is very near and dear to my heart. Not because I know of someone who survived the holocaust, but because the story was so beautifully written that it had me turning every page to see what happens next. I love the fact that the narration is told by death himself. That made this book even greater.
Kayla A.
Washington, NC
This was a great book! I had to read it in English and the author does great with it! The storyline is awesome and it doesn’t make you bored! It kept me entertained, it’s a great read for high schoolers!
Daniella S.
Charleston
My absolute favorite book of all time. It made me sob, laugh, ponder, etc. It's such a long book, but so enchanting that it felt like it went by so quickly. I found it fully immersive, helped by the fact that Zusack has a way with words like nobody else. All of the characters feel so incredibly real to me, it's incredible. And of course, the topic is fascinating.
Ashlei F.
Bakersfield
It takes a lot to make me cry when I read a book. I sobbed. I asked my friend who also read the book, she sobbed. This book is amazing. The premise might seem a little odd, a story narrated by Death but wow. just wow. So incredibly moving and stunning and important. this is an important book. A must read.
Stephanie C.
Lorain, OH
Bookworm Expert Level 1
This is one of the best books I’ve read last year, hands down. It was amazing and gripping. It really tugged at your heartstrings. It’s a WWll historical fiction novel.
Brittney S.
Fort Payne, AL
It's a Young Adult Book about the Holocaust.

The first thing any review will say about this book is that it is narrated by death. So, I might as well get it out of the way. Death, the Hooded One, the Angel of the Night, narrates. He is very busy during the war years, as you might expect. Some people claim this is a mere gimmick, and that the story is strong enough as it is.

I agree that this is a strong story-- it moves like a sailboat on a brisk day-- but I think the choice to tell it through Death was a good one. Death foreshadows constantly, so we know a bit about which of the characters will die. Instead of ruining the shock value, this heightened my anticipation and dread. And isn't that how people feel during war? They know some of them are bound to die. They know they will lose loved ones. It's one long, hellish wait to see how it will turn out.

It's also an unusual take on the Holocaust because it focuses on Liesel, an orphaned German girl living in Hitler's birthplace. Liesel (The Book Thief) and the other characters in this book are rich, interesting, and wily. I say wily because at points in the book you hate them, but they change, and you grow to love them. For instance, Liesel's adopted mother is a foul-mouthed, abusive, sharp woman. (SPOILER--->) When Liesel's adopted father is shipped off to war, however, Liesel creeps through the house to see Rosa sleeping with her husband's accordian strapped around her waist. Rosa's changes prove one of the greatest reasons to read good literature-- to get insight into the type of people we don't usually give a second chance.
Maha I.
Apex, NC
This is in my top ten favorite books of all time, and considering my personal genre of choice is fantasy, I'm as shocked as anyone. Zusak weaves a marvelous tapestry that you can't quite see the extent of until the very last moment. Rereading this was surreal because I watched everywhere I hadn't noticed on the first time around falling into place. It's engrossing, with language that boggles the mind with its perfection in how it describes, and it's emotionally ruining, in the best way. It takes a non-traditional look at the Holocaust, one that is haunting and unforgettable. The characters are imperfect in the best way, because it makes them human. I read this book 6 years ago, and I still recommend it to anyone who wants to branch out of their comfort zone. It's a lengthy read, but I swear it will go by fast for the fact that you can't put it down. I finished it in days. I highly, highly recommend this book to everyone. Oh, and the narrator is personally my favorite part.
Jaydie T.
Sioux Falls
Bookworm Expert Level 1
It's a holocaust book that's so different from any other. The chapters are quick yet packed with information and detail. The narrator is Death, and that adds such a touching element and symbolic addition.
Maria R.
This is my favorite book I've read all year. So...so...beautiful. I bought this book full price at Barnes, paperback. After falling in love with it, I want to buy the hardback. The characters in the book, you'll fall for them. This is a WWII story in Nazi Germany from the perspective of children. Heartbreaking and poignant. I read it all in one weekend. I cried like a baby when I finished the book. This is the type of book that makes you grateful that you're a reader. I watched the movie version...horrible. Stay away from the movie, and read the book with a box of tissues next to you.
Sara H.
I read this towards the end of college. It is a beautifully written book. the adjectives and verbs are so moving. The sentences are so strong. It is a great story of human kindness in a period that is known for the complete opposite. If you love historical fiction it is a must read for any age. I felt like I was the main character in every scene. I went through her emotions as I read. The most powerful writing I have experience in a long time.
Dana H.
London, ON
Can someone give a quick summary of this? I bought it and I want to know if it's appropriate for a school assignment or something like that. Also, what age group do you recommend this for?
Maria M.
Latham, NY
Have you seen the movie?
Hayleigh H.
Would you consider this a "Must Read"?
Amber M.
Zanesville, OH
How long have you owned this book? How many times have you read it?
Simona C.