The Book Thief by Zusak, Markus [Paperback] uploaded by Maria R.The Book Thief by Zusak, Markus [Paperback] uploaded by Samiha U.

BY CHEGG

The extraordinary #1 New York Times bestseller that is now a major motion picture, Markus Zusak's unforgettable story is about the ability of books to feed the soul. It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still. Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can't resist books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement. In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak, author of I Am the Messenger, has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time. From the Hardcover edition. see more...

• Can someone give a quick summary of this? I bought it and I want to...5 Answers
  • Have you seen the movie? 1 Answers
  • Would you consider this a "Must Read"?2 Answers
Maha I.
Maha I.
Apex, NC
This is in my top ten favorite books of all time, and considering my personal genre of choice is fantasy, I'm as shocked as anyone. Zusak weaves a marvelous tapestry that you can't quite see the extent of until the very last moment. Rereading this was surreal because I watched everywhere I hadn't noticed on the first time around falling into place. It's engrossing, with language that boggles the mind with its perfection in how it describes, and it's emotionally ruining, in the best way. It takes a non-traditional look at the Holocaust, one that is haunting and unforgettable. The characters are imperfect in the best way, because it makes them human. I read this book 6 years ago, and I still recommend it to anyone who wants to branch out of their comfort zone. It's a lengthy read, but I swear it will go by fast for the fact that you can't put it down. I finished it in days. I highly, highly recommend this book to everyone. Oh, and the narrator is personally my favorite part.
Amber t.
Amber t.
Cape May, NJ
In a huge history buff and anything related to World War Two is fascinating to me. So I was really excited to read this book and I'm glad I did, it was so good. It's narrated by death which helps set the tone and kind of foreshadows the end of the book. This book produced so many emotions for me. I was happy then I was hopeful and then I was sad.
Liesel's life in this book was filled with so much grief and yet she remained so hopeful.
Samiha U.
Samiha U.
Brooklyn, NY
Its so rare to find a book that you want to continue to read for as long you live. This is one of my all time favorite books due to its complex characters and plot. The narration of this book hooks you in with its morbid tones. I absolutely love love love this book. I have read it at least 8 times if you havent read it what are you waiting for !?
Sara M.
Sara M.
Sultan, WA
This book was an emotional roller coaster. The author did a fantastic job developing her characters and making you feel what they were feeling. I enjoy period pieces and this one did not disappoint. I recommend reading this book, it's a little long but once you get your nose into it I don't think you'll mind.
Alaina P.
Alaina P.
Fort Wayne, IN
This book was great! It was an emotional roller coaster and the narration was very unique. I love historical fiction and this book did not disappoint. I loved the relationships this book created and the portrayal of the Nazis. I would definitely recommend this book.
MaryCaroline G.
MaryCaroline G.
St Petersburg, FL
I cannot possibly say anything bad about this book. I usually read a chapter or so a day, and I knocked this out in one day. I could not put it down. It was beautifully written, and the story draws you in to the point that you just have to know what happens next.
Samantha M.
Samantha M.
Mission Viejo, CA
An amazing book written beautifully. The perspective and narration is different from anything else I've read and it gave insights into life during world war 2 in Germany. It had me crying multiple times and Markus Zusak is an author I would definitely recommend.
Hannah F.
Hannah F.
Monterey, CA
This book is a true page turner and you won't be able to put it down. This is the only book I have read by this author and I can't wait to read more! Highly recommended to anyone-whether you're into history or not-because the story is truly amazing!
Megan T.
Megan T.
Peru, IN
This is my favorite book of all time. It tells a little girls story through the Holocaust and how she adapts and eventually escapes. Markus Zusak perfectly illustrates the terrors and heartbreak of the Holocaust in this book.
Ashley T.
Ashley T.
Marion, IN
I think this one starts off slow but really picks up a few chapters in. It is told from an interesting point of view. I loved this one though and I think many will even if you are not a history buff.
Dana H.
Dana H.
London, ON
Can someone give a quick summary of this? I bought it and I want to know if it's appropriate for a school assignment or something like that. Also, what age group do you recommend this for?
Hayleigh H.
Hayleigh H.
Would you consider this a "Must Read"?
Maria M.
Maria M.
Latham, NY
Have you seen the movie?