BY ALFRED A. KNOPF

The Bluest Eye, published in 1970, is the first novel written by Toni Morrison, winner of the 1993 Nobel Prize in Literature. It is the story of eleven-year-old Pecola Breedlove - a black girl in an America whose love for its blond, blue-eyed children can devastate all others - who prays for her eyes to turn blue: so that she will be beautiful, so that people will look at her, so that her world will be different. This is the story of the nightmare at the heart of her yearning, and the tragedy of its fulfillment. see more...

Buy on Target*
Arabein D.
This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOK!!!! I've read this numerous times and every time I pick up on something I missed last time. I love Toni, she is an amazing storyteller. I want to own all of her books someday.
Marta V.
I had to read this for a class when I was back in college and once I started, I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. It was amazing!!! such a great story -- a story that will break your heart and then lift you up and make you feel empowered by the end. I really loved this read.
Andrea A.
Kansas City, KS
I had to read this book for a college English class and I was very glad for the assignment. Toni Morison is so very talented. I would definitely recommend reading this book. Seeing the world from a little girls point of view really opens your eyes to what children see and learn us adults.
Tania M.
Cicero, IL
This book is so powerful! If you enjoy books that are fiction yet really realistic then you'll love this story of this young girl that struggles with her own existence in a society where the ideal beauty is one of a white skin and blue eyes
Michaela B.
Tallahassee, FL
This novel is easily one of the most important pieces of literature I have ever read. The Bluest Eye was Morrison's first book, but it is incredibly powerful, heartbreaking, and inventive. A must read for sure
Julie G.
Villa Rica, GA
A must read for anyone who hasn't yet ! It's beautifully written and a great story !
Marta V.
What was your favorite part of the story?