The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories

by Scribner

A master storyteller at his best-the O. Henry Prize winner Stephen King delivers a generous collection of stories, several of them brand-new, featuring revelatory autobiographical comments on when, why, and how he came to write (or rewrite) each story. Since his first collection, Nightshift, published thirty-five years ago, Stephen King has dazzled readers with his genius as a writer of short fiction. In this new collection he assembles, for the first time, recent stories that have never been published in a book. He introduces each with a passage about its origins or his motivations for writing it. There are thrilling connections between stories; themes of morality, the afterlife, guilt, what we would do differently if we could see into the future or correct the mistakes of the past. "Afterlife" is about a man who died of colon cancer and keeps reliving the same life, repeating his mistakes over and over again. Several stories feature characters at the end of life, revisiting their crimes and misdemeanors. Other stories address what happens when someone discovers that he has supernatural powers-the columnist who kills people by writing their obituaries in "Obits;" the old judge in "The Dune" who, as a boy, canoed to a deserted island and saw names written in the sand, the names of people who then died in freak accidents. In "Morality," King looks at how a marriage and two lives fall apart after the wife and husband enter into what seems, at first, a devil's pact they can win. Magnificent, eerie, utterly compelling, these stories comprise one of King's finest gifts to his constant reader-"I made them especially for you," says King. "Feel free to examine them, but please be careful. The best of them have teeth.

As good as kings other novels? Does it capture you from the get go?
Start your review of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories!
Norwalk, OH
I'm a huge King fan. I love his novels, novellas and short stories. This is a nice collection of short stories. It's not my favorite collection from King, but it's solid reading and there's a few jewels in here. Not as good as Full Dark, No Stars. But if you're a King fan, there's something in here for you.
Rolla, MO
One of my favorites! Has short stories that will keep you on your toes and thinking of long after you have read them all! Hard to put down and if you love this author or any of his books this is one of the best!
Richmond, KY
I am a huge Stephen King fan and reader. So, my hubby usually gets me books as gifts. If you are a king fan, this book won’t disappoint. It’s a quick read with his usual twists and turns.
Hanover, MD
This book is interesting however I'm not big on short stories and if my memory serves me correctly that's what this book is I mean it's not disappointing if you like Stephen King but if you aren't in to short stories I wouldn't read or listen to it
Stephen King is such a talented story teller. Some of the stories in this book scared the hell out of me. I’d definitely pick up this copy if you want a good scare. The book is somewhat pricy considering that it is a hardback cover. I got my copy at a local campus bookstore but you could find this copy online and probably in Barnes & Noble.
Montpelier, OH
Steven King never lets me down & this is no exception! My mom bought it for me because she knows what a big King fan I am. If you're into horror books you've probably read some of his before so I don't have to stress what a great author he is!
Lanesville, IN
I love this book so much mainly for artistic reasons. I just recently got into creating my own illustrations in books as a sort of art project. The pages in this are PERFECT. There is an occasional entire blank page that is perfect for a giant detailed sketch, or half pages for a smaller illustration. Anyway, as for the book itself, I definitely enjoy it. It's Stephen King. Haha. It's great to take to class with me, because I tend to get to class fifteen or so minutes early, so I can pop out one of his little (or big!) collections and read a story or two. King is absolutely brilliant, and I'm in love with all of his works. This is no exception.
fort myers, FL
If you lo e Stephen king and horror books of course you will love this collection of stories. I was given this book Ada gift and I just started it and I only put it down when I'm busy. Must buy
Newark, DE
I am a huge fan of Stephen King and this book did not disappoint. It's a collection of shorter stories with a wide range of topics, though with King there is always a dark twist waiting for you... A great read for both avid readers of Stephen King and the uninitiated. And you can read a story or two each night, unlike some of the 'normal' sized novels he usually puts out. Some stories are very dark, some are gory, and some are just plain thought provoking.
PLAIN, WI
First off, I do enjoy many of Stephen King's novels. However, every once in a while there is a book I do not like of his. Usually due to getting very descriptive about bodily functions or just being rude or vulgar. I did not like many of the short stories in this book. Some were very good...like The Dune...and made you think with a clever twist. But many were too crass for me, like Premium Harmony. All in all, I would not recommend it.