Tarte water foundation
Tarte water foundation
Photos (182)
Alyssa A.
Alyssa A.

I have been looking for a new foundation that I like for awhile now and this one was recommended to me at Sephora (though I have a feeling it was only because Tarte makeup artists were having an event at the store that day.) After having it applied on one side of my face and seeing it compared to what I had on, I decided to buy it and give it a try given what I've heard about it in reviews and on Youtube though skeptical under the circumstances. I've been trying it out exclusively for about a month now and have used it with different primers and application techniques and have come to the conclusion now that I'm not into it. First things first, I like how the packaging looks, but hate the dropper. It never dispenses the same amount of product and gets the screw in area all dirty with product. It's also harder to use than a normal pump. This foundation is very watery, which makes sense, but it dries very quickly so you have to work decently fast. I like how this foundation applies with a Beauty Blender and it looks nice and natural, but also slightly dewy to begin with. I find that you can get full coverage and have your skin hidden with one drop though spots need covering up. It is more full coverage than I wanted though as I like skin peaking through and it's not super easy to blend other products into. Throughout the day though, this product seems to break down and get cakey on my face and settle into lines. It also completely disappears on my nose when I use a tissue and makes the makeup look more pronounced on my cheeks. The foundation transfers badly as well, which is super annoying. By the end of the day, the foundation wears off and looks weird. Overall, not impressed though it does start off well and there is a large range of shades.
Rachel O.
Rachel O.
Akron, OH

I was really excited to try this foundation because I love Tarte and it is beautifully packaged. However, I am a not really super impressed by it. When I originally purchased I bought online and was not able to color swatch. The first time I applied it it was much too light for my skin tone and I stashed it away. However, as winter approached, my tan faded and I was able to revisit the foundation. Here is what I think: First for the positives... 1) The bottle is very pretty. 2) Water based means hydrating and gentle. 3) The shade was more neutral than some of Tarte's other products that tend to go more orange on someone who is a little more neutral to cool toned. 4) Seems to stay on fairly well. Now for the negatives: 1) The bottle is messy and the dropper doesn't work great. Sometimes it takes a lot of work to get a decent amount of product out. 2) The coverage is very very light. You can build it up but it takes a lot of work. To me, the light coverage is a big down fall. I don't like spending a lot of time trying to make my foundation cover my skin imperfections. The messy bottle is also very frustrating. However, the neutral shade was a nice change up for Tarte and it is very moisturizing which I love. Overall, I could find something I like more but I will get my money's worth from it.
Jade M.
Jade M.

UPDATE: This is still a great foundation but I have found it to smear or transfer really easy and it doesn't stay put well through out hot humid days or water.
This is the best foundation that I have ever used! I picked this up because I have very dry skin and I thought this would help keep my skin moisturized while wearing it. This foundation has a beautiful satin finish to it. Its not overly dewy but it does have a nice 'healthy' glow to it. I use the Sephora's pro-airbrush foundation brush to apply it and always set it with powder. I didn't pick up the concealer to go with it which I should have because I find that other concealers (The Naked skin and Nars radiant creamy) tend to look cakey with it. So I use the Garnier under eye tint for under eye circles and it works great! I use a water based moisturizer and primer with it and my skin looks better than it ever has! It doesn't cake up in areas. It has build-able coverage, beautiful finish, doesn't cling to dry patches, doesn't settle into fine lines, covers redness, lasts all day and any blemishes that you might have. It is a bit transfer proof if you really rub clothing etc. over it. But for everything else it does ...I can live with that. I will definitely be repurchasing!!
Caroline B.
Caroline B.
Flushing, NY

This is HANDS DOWN the best foundation I have /ever/ used. I have dry/normal/sensitive skin with a surprising amount of acne/scaring. Most products that offer this kind of full coverage are overly cakey or drying which just doesn't work for me. This product goes so seamlessly and it looks like nothing is there, it looks just like your skin but perfect. For a more luminous glow use with a luminous primer. I always lightly set with a powder. Applies best using downwards motions and a flat top kabuki.

**** HOWEVER, as much as I love tarte for catering to sensitive skin and creating great products I do have to deduct a star for one reason- color range!! Wheres that color range at? Being pale, I never have to struggle to find a foundation that matches, so it hurts me to imagine not being able to have so many options at my disposal as I do. I LOVE this foundation and it kills me to know some people wont be able to enjoy it as much as I do simply because tarte does not cater to their complexion. This is something that is very important to me and everyone I know and I hope tarte will learn to be more inclusive.

--why do u have like 8 pale shades and 2 darker shades??---
Carlie A.
Carlie A.
Belle Vernon

Tarte has some amazing products from their Amazonian clay blushes to their lights camera lashes mascara, to their amazing eyeshadow palettes. One thing I haven't always been a fan of was tarte foundations. I have found that many of tartes foundation can tend to be somewhat heavy on my skin and really make me feel like I am wearing a lot of makeup.

I tried this Tarte water foundation and I was completely blown out of the water. Even with combination to oily skin, this very light weight foundation sits well on my skin and doesn't seem to make me anymore oily throughout the day. This is one of those foundations that just look like your skin but better!

This foundation is so blendable whether I use a brush or a beauty blender. Either way, the application is flawless. Its about a medium coverage, but it very buildable. It really feels like you aren't even wearing any makeup at all.

I think the little dropper dispenser is a cute idea, but in all honesty I feel that it would be more beneficial if it had a pump.

I do feel that the shade range is a little limited and they should add a few more shades for people with deeper skintones.

I do recommend this foundation!
Kathleen T.
Kathleen T.
Temple, GA

HG FOUNDATION! I have very dry, dehydrated, incredibly sensitive skin. I'm allergic to chemical sunscreen and really sensitive to perfume. I love this foundation; I cannot say enough great things about it. It doesn't dry my skin out or cling to dry patches, doesn't irritate, blends amazingly with either a brush or a sponge, doesn't have a flashback, long wearing... the list goes on. As with all of Tarte's foundations, the longer I wear the product, the nicer my skin looks. I really can tell a difference in my skin when I take this off at night compared to when I put it on in the morning. The only problem I have with this foundation is that it oxidizes a bit once on the skin. I will gladly look past that though. It doesn't make my t-zone oily either. It is a medium coverage foundation, but it can be built up to a fuller coverage. I think it has a more natural to slightly dewy finish, which is what I prefer. You can easily make it matte however if you use powder. I do agree with the other reviews that it is a bit messy. Because of the dropper, product does get all over the top of the bottle. Overall, this is the best foundation I have ever used.
teresa t.
teresa t.

Lovely foundation but not perfect. i have been using the new tarte rainforest of the sea waterfoundation for a few weeks now. i have normal to dry skin with slight oily-T, after my moisturizing/priming routine i use the beauty blender to apply. the water-based formula was light weight, easy to blend out, coverage was buildable to full, covered redness, dries down to a beautiful natural velvety finish.

first few times i wore this i felt the foundation just sat on top of my skin & made it look drier (not good) then i tried same moisturizing routine but this time primed only the t-zone and it looked much better, however clings to dry areas later in the day if face is not exfoliate well.

this is the only foundation that creased around my eyes (had to set w/powder) i don't have this problem with tarte amazonian clay or other foundations. had to use more than the suggested number of drops so i have a feeling that i would go thru this bottle quickly.

not a fan of the dropper, dispenser not consistent in picking up product & spills on sides of bottle, tarte please use a pump instead. limited shade range can be a problem for women of color.

Makeup by A.
Makeup by A.

I pretty much picked up the entire Tarte Rainforest of the Sea collection including this new foundation. I did a review on my YouTube channel (Makeup by Amy Michelle).
This is a beautiful, very full coverage foundation. I find that as long as you use the appropriate primer for you skin type, a foundation brush (works best with a brush versus a sponge) and set it with a powder that this foundation wears for 12+ hours and looks amazing. I have combo to oily skin and have worn this for 12+ hours and it does not settle into fine lines, get cakey, oily, etc.
Also, I do want to mention this is not a luminous foundation and is not mean to be. It is just a very hdyrating water based foundation. Even though it is full coverage and gives you a full coverage flawless appears, it does not feel like you are wearing heavy makeup. It looks like skin, dries to a matte or semi-matte if you have combo skin (but matte with a finishing powder on top) but never feels very lightweight and looks like skin.
This is a beautiful foundation and I have been thoroughly impressed by all of the new foundations by Tarte.
LIA M.
LIA M.
Wallingford, CT

Liquid, natural finish, dry skin, spf 15. That sounds great. But I'm super oily, acne prone, scarred, dark skin that hates flashback......... and it looks amazing on me. Paradox, I know. But let me explain. If you have oily skin you live for products that dry you up. But sometimes it just looks so unnatural. Why can't I have porcelain, glowy skin? Oh that's right, genetics. I say nay to my DNA! Tarte water foundation is great for all skin types. I had to get to know it a little based on how my face decided to wake up. I use a pore perfecting primer on oilier days and smoothing primer on combo skin days. I find the best application for me is a beauty blender (they don't call it a beat face for nothing). I doesn't accentuate any of my fine lines (or baby hair). You can stipple it on just watch for dry patches. It dries to a powder finish but stays natural. I usually set my t-zone with powder so my cheeks stay fresh. It's definitely buildable but I just dot a tarte concealer where needed.
Maddy L.
Maddy L.
Cuyahoga Fls, OH

This foundation is being returned. I wanted, so badly to love it! In the bottle, this foundation looks perfectly fair, fair enough for my skin tone! However, it oxidizes within seconds of being out of the bottle. So much so, that now the whole foundation bottle is at least 2 shades darker than it was originally! I have a review on my channel where you can see that it gets at least 3 shades darker when it sits on my skin while I applied it to half of my face. I also would have to say that this is not a Neutral shade, it definitely pulls yellow, or warmer toned. That being said... I wish they had a shade for me, because it evens out my skin tone (even if it's with the wrong shade) and looks very natural on the skin. I will also say that while this is a water foundation, it has a demi-matte finish that I was not expecting. That aspect actually played very nicely with my skin type. I really wish this product would have worked for me. If only the shade match would have worked!
Brittany R.
Brittany R.
Millville, NJ

What would you say the pros/cons are with this foundation? I have been wanting to try it since it launched but, "water" foundation sounds a bit unappealing.
Jordan W.
Jordan W.
Blackshear , Ga

I have dry skin and sensitive skin. How does this foundation work with dry skin?
Edith C.
Edith C.
Los Angeles , Ca

As i walked to sephora and asked about e regular tarte foundation, i was told it was clay. Sampling the foundation, i noticed to gave me full coverage along with pimples. This foundation being water based foundation, do you guys know if it gives a full coverage?
Paige J.
Paige J.

How much coverage does this have?
Julie C.
Julie C.
Carrizo Springs, TX
I've been looking for a new foundation and happened to come across this one. Does anyone recommended this one?

Join Now