BY TARTE #42 in Eyeshadow Palettes

A pro-level, everyday eyeshadow palette with 20 ultra-pigmented shades powered by naturally-derived ingredients.

Includes 20 eyeshadows:

• Classic (cream)
  • Innocent (soft peach)
  • Whimsy (brick)
  • Smoked (dark brown)
  • Ethereal (bronze)
  • Vintage (ivory)
  • Fierce (cool plum)
  • No filter (purple mauve)
  • Vamp (deep plum)
  • Glam (champagne)
  • Chic (pale pink)
  • Profesh (taupe)
  • Mod (deep cherry)
  • Drama (maroon)
  • Minx (shimmering mauve)
  • Indie (greige)
  • Bold (light brown)
  • Edgy (chocolate)
  • Punk (black)
  • Trendy (prismatic teal)

Classic Ingredients: Mica, talc, silica, boron nitride, ethylhexyl palmitate, zinc stearate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, titanium dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Innocent Ingredients: Talc, mica, silica, boron nitride, ethylhexyl palmitate, zinc stearate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, manganese violet (CI 77742), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Whimsy Ingredients: Mica, talc, silica, ethylhexyl palmitate, boron nitride, zinc stearate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), manganese violet (CI 77742).

Smoked Ingredients: Talc, mica, boron nitride, zinc stearate, silica, ethylhexyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), manganese violet (CI 77742).

Ethereal Ingredients: Mica, caprylic/capric triglyceride, stearyl dimethicone, boron nitride, zinc stearate, talc, silica, octadecene, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), copper powder (CI 77400), bronze powder (CI 77400), titanium dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxides (CI 77491).

Vintage Ingredients: Talc, mica, silica, boron nitride, ethylhexyl palmitate, zinc stearate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), titanium dioxide (CI 77891), ultramarines (CI 77007), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), bismuth oxychloride (CI 77163).

Fierce Ingredients: Talc, silica, boron nitride, ethylhexyl palmitate, zinc stearate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), manganese violet (CI 77742), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), ultramarines (CI 77007), blue 1 lake (CI 42090), titanium dioxide (CI 77891).

No Filter Ingredients: Mica, talc, silica, boron nitride, zinc stearate, ethylhexyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), manganese violet (CI 77742), ultramarines (CI 77007), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Vamp Ingredients: Talc, mica, silica, ethylhexyl palmitate, boron nitride, zinc stearate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), manganese violet (CI 77742), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), ultramarines (CI 77007).

Glam Ingredients: Mica, caprylic/capric triglyceride, stearyl dimethicone, boron nitride, talc, zinc stearate, octadecene, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, silica, sodium dehydroacetate, tin oxide, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), titanium dioxide (CI 77891), copper powder (CI 77400), iron oxides (CI 77491).

Chic Ingredients: Mica, talc, silica, ethylhexyl palmitate, boron nitride, zinc stearate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), manganese violet (CI 77742), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Profesh Ingredients: Mica, talc, silica, ethylhexyl palmitate, boron nitride, zinc stearate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, manganese violet (CI 77742), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), ultramarines (CI 77007), titanium dioxide (CI 77891).

Mod Ingredients: Mica, talc, silica, boron nitride, zinc stearate, ethylhexyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), manganese violet (CI 77742), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77499), blue 1 lake (CI 42090).

Drama Ingredients: Silica, boron nitride, zinc stearate, talc, ethylhexyl palmitate, mica, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, carmine (CI 75470), manganese violet (CI 77742), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), ultramarines (CI 77007).

Minx Ingredients: Mica, caprylic/capric triglyceride, stearyl dimethicone, boron nitride, talc, zinc stearate, silica, octadecene, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, copper powder (CI 77400), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77499), titanium dioxide (CI 77891).

Indie Ingredients: Mica, talc, silica, ethylhexyl palmitate, boron nitride, zinc stearate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, manganese violet (CI 77742), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, 77499), titanium dioxide (CI 77891).

Edgy, Punk, Bold Ingredients: Talc, mica, silica, boron nitride, zinc stearate, ethylhexyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin. (+/-): Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), manganese violet (CI 77742).

Trendy Ingredients: Mica, caprylic/capric triglyceride, stearyl dimethicone, boron nitride, zinc stearate, talc, octadecene, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, kaolin, phenoxyethanol, silica, sodium dehydroacetate, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanillin, iron oxides (CI 77499), titanium dioxide (CI 77891), ferric ferrocyanide (CI 77510).

Buy on Sephora*
  • "I love this palette! The colors are so pigmented and buttery with very little fall out! It is so versatile and you can create so many looks! Anywhere from natural to smokey and everything in between!" in 1316 reviews
  • "Love this palette! It does live up to the hype! The duo chrome shades are perfection! And the matte shades are sooooo pigmented and go on so nicely. They blend so easily and seamlessly. The color range in this palette is awesome too! Tarte definitely stepped up their game! " in 187 reviews
  • "The pigmentation is amazing! It has some nice neutral colors in here for everyday wear " in 140 reviews
  • "This palette is everything, it's a must have! Very long lasting, pigmentation is amazing, I've used this for about 3 weeks and I'm obsessed! Packaging is super nice, I will buy again! I'm a huge fan of Tarte and they really did such a great job, so happy!!!" in 124 reviews
  • "I bought this palette after a lot of make up artists suggested it. The shadows are very pigmented and super blendable. There are a lot of different colors which I love because I can do a warm look or something smoky for the winter. The shimmers are absolutely beautiful. I prefer to wet the brush before I apply them to really get that sparkle! Basically this palette is great and definitely worth the money :)" in 122 reviews
Sydney N.
Claims:
“WHAT IT DOES
It includes 16 longwearing matte eyeshadows infused with Amazonian clay for smooth blending & flake-resistant wear, plus four brand-new iridescent luster shades with a microshimmer, duochrome formula. Deeply concentrated mineral pigments & a new smart-blend technology give you the best in even, intense payoff in a range of natural artistry™, neutral-to-bold shades for all skin tones & skill levels.”

-Amazonian clay: nature’s most perfect ingredient for better, longer, truer wear
-Mineral pigments: soothe and soften skin
-Vanilla extract: a natural fragrance with rich antioxidant and anti-aging properties

1 g / 0.035 Oz. x 20 pans

PROS:
-Blendable (kind of...I’ll explain why in the cons)

CONS:
-NOT very pigmented. It takes a lot of building to get a rich color payoff, but you can’t blend too much because it will disappear into nothing.
-Shimmers remove the mattes. I like to apply shimmer/foiled shadows to my inner corner and blend them into the middle shade. With these shimmers, when you try to blend them with the matte shade, it removes all of the matte shade underneath and next to the shimmer that you’re trying to blend it with.
-SO. MUCH. FALL-OUT. Usually with fall-out comes super rich pigment and is often overlooked with a really good shadow, but these shades are not pigmented enough to have that much fall-out. Make sure to do your eyes first or have a good fluffy face brush to help sweep away the excess.

Overall, I would not recommend this product for the $53 price tag. If you can find it on a resale site for much cheaper, then maybe give it a try for yourself, but make sure it is authentic!! Counterfeits are made with toxic chemicals (lead, arsenic, mercury, feces, etc) that can cause blindness, so make sure it’s real before you buy!

The attached picture shows the fall-out under my eye. Also the shadows look pigmented, but it’s after a third application.
Jasmine C.
Brockport, NY
No matter how much I wanted to, I just didn’t like this palette. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge fan of Tarte. I love their Shape Tape Concealer, Tarteist
Lash Paint Mascara, Lights Camera Lashes Mascara. I got really sucked in by the idea of having so many mattes in one palette, the shimmers which I love, were a bonus. This would be a great palette to travel with. The mirror is huge, and you
can create so many looks with this ONE palette. I love the layout of this palette. It can be overwhelming when dealing with larger palettes. Tarte made it super easy by grouping similar colors together, arranging each eyeshadow from lightest to darkest, with a coordinating shimmer at the end of each row. One thing I realized is Tarte eyeshadow formula is very hit or miss. Some eyeshadows perform better than others. The shimmers are absolutely beautiful. They are super pigmented, I don’t have to apply more than one layer, or wet the brush. I was disappointed with the formula of the matte eyeshadows. The lighter eyeshadows were okay. It was the darker ones I struggled with. The first thing
I noticed was how chalky the mattes were. They kicked up a lot of dust, which caused a ridiculous amount of fallout. They swatch beautifully but lacked pigmentation when applied with a brush. I really have to pack on the color to get any color payoff. The application was super patchy. They were impossible to blend, they either completely disappeared, or left a harsh line. Looking at this palette, I immediately thought I could create
an entire look. I can only use one or two eyeshadows from this palette, when paired together, they mix and turn brown EVERY TIME. I consider myself an avid eyeshadow wearer, but this eyeshadow just doesn’t work for ME. Some people love and consider this palette their HG, kudos to them, I just can’t make it work. I have tried it with different primers. I have tried setting the primer, not setting the primer. I have tried a fluffier blending brush and a blending brush with more densely packed bristles. NOTHING seems to work, and I don’t have the energy, when I have so many other eyeshadow palettes that I love. If I could go
back in time, I probably wouldn’t purchase this palette. I bought this palette, specifically for the mattes, and I was less than impressed with the formula. The lighter shades look extremely similar on my skin tone; if you have a lighter complexion, that may not be an issue. The packaging is simple, yet beautifu. I love the shimmers and I’d purchase
their single shimmer shadows. I really like the concept, I see where they were going with this palette, but I think it was
poorly executed.
Tytiyonna M.
Montgomery, AL
I honestly don't care for tarte after that shade range bs they tried with the shape tap foundation but I had already bought this palette before hand but I won't be supporting them for a while until they fix their shade range. Anyway, This palette is my "go-to" palette for when I want to do a look without a eyeliner or winged eyeliner. I get soooooo many compliments when I wear this palette. I had a few customers at my job buy this palette just because they wanted their eyeshadow to look like mines lol. These shadows are buttery and creamy (I'm weak for a buttery eyeshadow), just how I like it. And the choice of colors are great as well. I think the 16 eyeshadows are matte and they give you 4 shimmer/foil eyeshadows on the right. I love how you get such a huge mirror to look at. I probably could do my entire face makeup in this mirror. I this palette is $49.00 but it is totally worth it.
Ami S.
Berwyn, IL
MY HOLY GRAIL PALETTE!!!!! Oh my gosh, this palette has such sentimental value for me. It was my first high end eye shadow palette and my love of makeup and eyeshadow stems from this palette. I love the formulation of Tarte's amazonian clay shadows because they truly are so long wearing. This palette such such a good selection of shadows with 16 mattes and beautiful duochromes. The palette allows you to create so many different looks from daytime casual to night out smokey eyes. It really let's you get creative with your looks but also it's layout makes it simple to create a look when you're starting out or don't have time to experiment. Each row of the palette is set up to create an eye look which is so nice when you're in a rush and don't want to think about what color combinations to use. 10/10 recommend this product and would repurchase in a heartbeat.
Mandy C.
Murphysboro, IL
This is in my three favorite palettes of all time! I really do not understand why so many people had poor reviews of this on YouTube! I'm glad I purchased it prior to all those salty reviews otherwise I probably wouldn't have made the splurge! As someone who is going into the professional world of finance yet still loves doing a full face of makeup whenever I can, this palette is wonderful because I have the fun shimmers and duo-chromes and fun pops of color but I also have a wider collection of office friendly mattes. The color selection is awesome, and could serve as a one stop shop for anyone who isn't a makeup enthusiast. The mass majority of the mattes (12 of them) are the most buttery smooth shadows I've ever touched! Any shadows that smooth would create some kickback so make sure to tap your brush! However, I will give the critics this - the darkest shades in each row are very very dry. So they don't create much / if any kick back, but they do call for some manipulation if you are applying them directly on the skin or directly on top of a primer with no other shadows beneath them. But this is nothing blending can't fix. They are extremely pigmented so a slight hand is important, especially with the darkest shades. Not all the shimmers are duo chrome, but they are all stunning and are the best shimmer formulas I've seen in a palette. For the amount of product you are getting as well as the variety and quality, this is worth the money and I would purchase this again. Also, the shadows smell like chocolate:)
Mary anne M.
West Covina, CA
When I first bought this palette, I was in love with it & thought it was perfect. It's my daily palette for over a year now & my thoughts on it have evolved.

This is not the worst palette Tarte has come out with over the past 2-3 years, but it's not the best either.

The matte shadows blend pretty well, but they are prone to a LOT of fallout. In particular, the matte pink & shimmery blue leave a ton of fallout on my face even after I tap the excess off my brush before application. And because of the nature of these colors, I end up with a lot of pink or blue residue on my face that is not easily removed regardless of if I do my eyeshadow before or after my foundation. I have very oily eyelids, but I do not have this problem when I use this palette. My eyeliner stays in place & my lids stay matte all day. I definitely commend the Amazonian Clay in this formula for keeping my lids matte & for blending rather well.

The shimmers leave much to be desired. I use Tan Honey in their tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full Coverage Foundation so my skin tone is not that light. The pink & blue shimmers have some black tones, so it can look a little dark...they also have a lot of fallout. The orange & gold shimmers require a lot to show up on my eyes. They also apply unevenly when a brush is used.

20 shades for $53 is a really great deal, especially since the matte shades range from neutrals to pops of color that are suitable for day or night looks along with the 4 shimmers.
Noelle M.
Spokane Valley
I thought I HATED this palette when it originally came, I was even shocked by all the good reviews it had, till I learned that I could not use my “do not set the primer” technique with these shadows, this has to be set with powder or that white shade to get the best pay off. These are super pigmented and blend easily (as long as you set the base, they don’t blend at all the other way). I do theater makeup and some very dramatic things and I hate to set primer Because it’s never as vivid, but with this palette you don’t lose color pay off. If you’re a makeup artist you have to have this for your kit or if your an enthusiast you need this for your collection, a wonderful palette with great colors!
Gigi W.
Marshfield, MA
Okay, let me just say, WOWWWWW!
I'm pretty new to the eyeshadow game, so finding a great palette was hard for me to do, just because I had know idea what brand to go for. Before this tarte palette, I was trying Urban Decay / too faced / nars ... but the only palette I was truly happy with was my modern renaissance, until NOW. I can't believe how much I'm in love with this item.... The mirror and case in general is absolutely beautiful. My favorite mirror by far. I have not applied a shadow and been disappointed, truthfully every one I've applied have gone on so smooth and blended beautifully! I'm no experienced shadow applier, but these were so easy for me! I'm honestly so so so in love and highly recommend this palette to everyone!
Kitty R.
Osterville, MA
This was my second high end pallet, and for the most part, I really enjoy it!!! This pallets is absolutely wonderful for some tumblr esc grungy looks, and has quite the selection of burgundies. I am quite pale, so I actually tend to use the cool toned browns as contour colors, since I haven't really found that many cool toned pallets. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a nice nude pallet, but also wishes to try more Burnt and red-ish nudes. Overall 8/10, as the shadows are a little chalky but not that bad. They're good, but not creamy. Warning: There is quite a bit of fallout. Still, couldn't live without this pallet!!! (In one pic I'm wearing the metallic green on my lips)
michelle j.
united states
This palette is absolutely stunning and the colors work so well together! There are only a few problems I found with it: if you do not apply a primer to your lid it will be extremely difficult to blend the shadows. Also, the color payoff isn’t too great. When I swatched the colors in the store I was shocked at the pigment! But after buying it and working with it in my eyes the shadows weren’t showing up as the same color on my lid then when when I swatched it. You really really need to work the shadow in to get the pigment you might be looking for. A great thing about this palette is that there is hardly any fall out. Also, the shimmer are so beautiful and pigmented!
Alyssa T.
Daleville, IN
I've been wanting to try out a new eyeshadow pallet and was wondering if this pallet is worth the price?
brittney d.
How are the pigments with this shadow? I have a mini tarte eyeshadow with four brown/nude colors are the pigment is okay. Was just wondering if maybe these would be more pigmented.
sarah o.
Is this really worth all the hype?
Kiana H.
A Sephora worker recommended this to me instead of the modern renaissance palette and I just want other opinions on which is better
Jessica G.
Kansas City, KS
I've had my eyes on this since they announced it and I still haven't gotten my hands on it. Are the mattes easy to blend and pigmented?