BY TARTE #24 in Facial Sunscreen

Reviews (12083)
Buy on Sephora
Erica L.
Hagerman, NM
Let me start by saying that I am incredibly picky about anything I put on my face!! And I do mean picky... like obsessively so. To the point that I will be late to and event or work because something doesn’t feel right and I am scrubbing it off and starting over picky. It’s due to the fact that I have had so many instances of product not working or even worse (cue drama music here) I break out!?!!
Now in today’s climate you would think I would be more worried about sun damage than a few pimples but such is not the case. Aging has been hard for me so adding just one more thing like blemishes tips me over into freak out mode... no seriously freak out mode as I’m crying hysterically. It’s ridiculous but I own it.
That’s where this little gem comes in. I have tried so many formulas that just don’t do it for me. They either don’t work or my makeup just doesn’t sit right or they cause flare ups. It was a definite bonus to find that I could wear this alone or under my makeup. Now alone I had to make sure it worked. After having a mole removed (twice) it is critical to not only limit my sun exposure but to make sure that when i am exposes I really am protected. This... well it does that and I am really grateful! No more hiding under sheets at the family picnic for me. In addition, it really didn’t disturb how my makeup applies or layered.
The consistency was not bad. I didn’t find it overly thick and it melted into my skin nicely with no sunscreen residue that is so apparent in most.
I would say this is an amazing product and one I will purchase over and over. I have even recommended it to several family members as it is never to early or late to start protecting your skin.
Sarah C.
Charlottesvle, VA
Bear in mind that I am extremely picky about sunscreen in general and facial sunscreens in particular. I have dry, sensitive skin that almost often reacts negatively to chemical sunscreens and often to physical ones, too. In this respect, Tarteguard is fine - it does not irritate my skin, it doesn't hurt, it doesn't cause any negative reaction.  That's the high point. Does smell like a physical sunscreen, although it's not as bad as some others, and it doesn't turn me as opaquely white/milky as some do, either.  It is a little greasy (though not the greasiest I've tried) and while my dry skin can tolerate it, it doesn't work terribly well under makeup. At SPF 30, it's not high enough to use if I'm at the beach, pool, etc., so I was hoping this would work well under makeup as a daily use item - when I'm outside off and on but don't need the high coverage of an extended stay in the sun. Accordingly, this sort of failed me for its intended purpose and for that I won't repurchase. But my biggest complaint, and the real reason for the low rating, is that I had an extremely difficult time getting this out of its bottle (the pump didn't seem strong enough for the thick consistency), and it also thickened/dried/became goopy very quickly.
👑Carolina S.
Bear in mind that I am extremely picky about sunscreen in general and facial sunscreens in particular. I have dry, sensitive skin that almost often reacts negatively to chemical sunscreens and often to physical ones, too. In this respect, Tarteguard is fine - it does not irritate my skin, it doesn't hurt, it doesn't cause any negative reaction. That's the high point. Does smell like a physical sunscreen, although it's not as bad as some others, and it doesn't turn me as opaquely white/milky as some do, either. It is a little greasy (though not the greasiest I've tried) and while my dry skin can tolerate it, it doesn't work terribly well under makeup. At SPF 30, it's not high enough to use if I'm at the beach, pool, etc., so I was hoping this would work well under makeup as a daily use item - when I'm outside off and on but don't need the high coverage of an extended stay in the sun.
Audra S.
I'm really surprised at the low score/bad reviews for this. I really like it, and I have a hard time finding sunscreen for the face that I like. I don't use moisturizer when I use this, so maybe that is what helps me. I find that in the summer, in particular, I don't need a moisturizer with a sunscreen product. So I really don't find this greasy or that it leaves me too shiny. I find it quite pleasant to use. My only complaint is the price, but I am willing to pay it. Most of the year, I am ok with a moisturizer with spf. (I live quite far north, and also am not an outdoors lover) But in the summer, I have to be more careful. (I am very fair.) I don't have any stinging, and I don't find it to have a strong or lasting smell. It doesn't make my face look any more pale than it already is. I like it.
Britney S.
Johnson City, TN
I think this product is good for the cooler months when you don’t need as much sunscreen protection but want still want some to go under makeup but I wouldn’t recommend this for summer as your only sunscreen because you will definitely still get burnt. If you want to mix this with a foundation that also has sunscreen then I think that would work but I just wouldn’t rely on only this. Also make sure you check the expiration date on the bottle because for some reason these expire pretty quickly and I guess Sephora can’t keep up with it because I seen a lot of reviews about people receiving expired bottles. This sunscreen will become a greasy oily mess that’s separated if it’s expired.
Shanel A.
Norcross, GA
It gives soft texture on skin. I would definitely recommend this product and brand too.Its better to search for offers before buying.Have different shades of color for different skin tones.I like to visit above stores only to buy this and find offers.It gives fantastic look for party and for simple makeup also.I am kinda shopholic ;) so love to buy and try different products ,brands and shades.Now in today’s climate you would think I would be more worried about sun damage than a few pimples but such is not the case. Aging has been hard for me so adding just one more thing like blemishes tips me over into freak out mode... no seriously freak out mode as I’m crying hysterically arte is the only brand of sunscreen I’ve been able to use that doesn’t sweat off of my face and cause me to burn and the only one that doesn’t clog the pores along my T Zone and lead to zits! I absolutely love this SPF and swear by it. We all know that it is CRITICAL to apply SPF and to not wear it bc it clogs your pores just means painful and damaging sunburns that can cause unsightly wrinkles and discoloration and, hello—cancer—and that’s not allowed! This SPF is literally a face and life saver!
Ashley P.
Indianapolis
I used this tinted sunscreen all last summer. I had the full size that I purchased at sephora. I have sensitive skin and it caused no breakouts. I did notice a little bit of oilyness after use but it was not very much. I felt my face was moisturized. It gave me a nice color with sunscreen protection. Its a grwat product. I ended up recieving a small sample size in my Sephora box too, so I took a picture of that. Hopefully others recieved it to and review what they thought of the product as well.
autumn g.
Mineral Wells, WV
I’m not particularly a fan of using this as an entire body sunscreen, but it is my go to for my face! I love wearing this under my makeup, or just my bare face. Some may consider $32 too much for a product, but I think it’s worth it with the protection it provides. I think it also has a good scent. Although, I have noticed that it feels sorta sticky and heavy at times when I put on another pump for extra protection. I do not like the way that feels. Regardless, I would still recommend this product because you can’t go wrong with giving your face the best protection from the sun.
Ameera M.
Queens Vlg, NY
I haven't worn sunscreen for ages because I can wear only physical sunscreens and I hadn't yet found one that wasn't a total grease bomb or white-out disaster. I tried this product on only half my face and neck so that I could get a real comparison. The verdict? Several hours after applying, the Tarteguard side of my face looked no different than the sunscreen-free side - no extra shine, no white cast. Tarteguard doesn't feel heavier or stickier than only moisturizer after about 15 minutes, but you can tell the difference when you first apply. My skin doesn't feel sticky to the touch, either. However, the skin on my neck is super uncomfortable on the Tarteguard side. I can feel the product on my neck and it's sticky in the creases in my neck. I'll keep this product and continue to use it, but I won't apply it to my neck, as the feel of it is quite distracting.
Anni J.
Baltimore, MD
I don’t hate it, but I definitely don’t love it. It’s a good sunscreen, and it doesn’t cause my face to break out, like other brands...which is nice. I just didn’t like the consistency of it..or maybe I’m thinking about the texture. It just felt a little gritty to me, and it had a white cast in photos... I’m really pale and it still had a white cast.. so yeah. I wouldn’t suggest this to any of my friends who aren’t white. Actually, I would probably only suggest it to my super pale friends or friends who plan on putting foundation over it.
ROSA M.
San Antonio, TX
Nadia C.
Oakville, CT
Does this work well with foundation over it?
Katherine G.
Claudia E.
Is this sunscreen last a long time
Paige K.
Fort Mill
Does this have a tint to it? And do you guys wear it under your makeup?

back