BY TARTE #11 in Sunscreen

Buy on Sephora
Gladyeliz C.
Methuen, MA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Try a sample of this first. I'm so glad I did because I would've regretted the purchase. I LOVE my setting powder by Tarte -- so much more natural-looking than any other brand and a beautiful feel on the finish -- but something about this particular product doesn't work for me. ESPECIALLY under makeup. As far as sunscreens go, it's great that Tarteguard is non-chemical. It's also true that it is non-greasy. Nor did I get a burning sensation with this, like I do with other sunscreens. On the downside, here are the biggest issues I have with it: - sticky. I figured I could get used to this, but, yes, this feels sticky on my skin for quite a while after I apply it. That's not an ideal kind of texture, but I'd probably not mind that factor so much if it weren't for the other cons, which are. . . - doesn't work under my makeup at all: I let this dry and become less sticky before applying primer and all the rest, but somehow (and I find this amazing), several hours later, I will start to notice chalky spots on my face where my makeup suddenly looks ashy and unblended. I did NOT have this problem prior to this sunscreen. It almost seems like, as this product wears off, something funky happens with the way it interacts with my makeup. Not pleased. - chalky-looking: this could just be a "me" thing, as I have this problem with mineral makeups too; they take on a silvery sheen on my skin and not only discolor me but age me TERRIBLY. Tarteguard does a similar thing, unfortunately -- I look chalky and suddenly older (e.g., unevenness to my coloring). That said, I don't think it's just a "me" thing because other natural sunscreens tend to look chalky on me too and don't blend as well. If you have golden undertones, the chalkiness will definitely clash with your coloring noticeably. No matter how fair your skin might already be. (I am super-pale to begin with, fyi.) Between this and the stickiness? Well, so much for the "moisturizing, brightening, and reinvigorating" properties and the "youthful appearance" they supposedly create. That's certainly not what happens on me, unfortunately. :( - pimples in places I don't normally break out: my nose got one new pimple per day in the first days that I was using my sample. My nose almost never breaks out. So that was discouraging. After a couple more days, my skin calmed down, but be forewarned that this product may take an adjustment period for your skin as well. Tarte is an awesome brand, and one of their products is a staple of mine. I thought I was going to love this too, truly. But I'll be sticking with another SPF moisturizer instead. If Tarte reformulates this product, I'd be happy to try again; I love the idea of a non-chemical sunscreen with moisturizing properties. Get a sample, see what it does for your skin and how it interacts with your makeup. If it works for you, great.
Keri D.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I had a deluxe sample of this through a Play! by Sephora box. I’m trying to be more consistent about using sunscreen every day since I have fair skin and have already had some severe sunburns, so this being SPF 30 is instantly a huge plus. I like that it has a thinner, more liquid texture and spreads easily without leaving a white cast. Tarte also has a great formula that wears well under makeup without noticeable breaking down after a few hours. And I didn’t burn while using this even during the summer/early fall, which I was very happy about! The only major drawback is the price: $32 for 1.7 fl oz is a bit expensive for me considering this would be something I wear daily.
Kristina G.
Huntingtn Beach, CA
Beauty Junkie Expert
I'm skeptical when I hear chemical free and amazing. Usually it has huge hype but ends up being greasy. I wear contacts and live in sunny California so picking a sunblock that won't blind me with stinging pain in the eyes is important. This product goes on greasy at first but that goes away and it leaves no joker mask white residue either. I hate the chemical smell because I quickly worry others will smell that on me all day. Luckily it does have a nice scent that isn't chemical toxic based. Overall I'm highly impressed.
Madi S.
Merrick, NY
Beauty Junkie Expert
I really like this sunscreen! I received this sunscreen in a Glossybox subscription box, but it can be purchased at Sephora. I love that this sunscreen is specifically formulated to use on the face. I have not experienced any breaking out with this product. I have very sensitive skin and this product hasn't irritated my skin at all. The retail price of the product is $30 which I think is pretty expensive for sunscreen, but skin care is very important to me. I would repurchase this product.
Kristal D.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Non greasy and it doest smell like sunscreen! The only bad thing i have to say is that when purchasing this product please check the “expiration date” other than that, the product is around $22-$32 and is worth every drop of it. Like i said the only room for improvement would be “ expiration date”
Rose B.
Muncie, IN
Beauty Junkie Expert
I purchased mine at Sephora for around $30.. love pretty much every tarte product I have tried so far and this just might be my favorite. My skin tends to be dry, so while it sounds like others feel greasy after using this product, I feel like this gives my skin an awesome glow, is really lightweight, and doesn't break me out. I think it actually works as a great makeup primer on my skin and helps me start off with a fresh looking glow. If you really like matte skin or tend towards being oily, then you probably won't be a big fan.
Ramya D.
Cincinnati
Beauty Junkie Expert
This is one of my new favorite products especially for the transition from spring to summer. No matter what time of year it is always a good idea to wear sunscreen, however, most of us probably are not motivated to apply a greasy formula to our face that smells of coconuts and bananas all year round. This product is a great way of changing that. The packaging is beyond adorable and I like that it has a silicon cover on it, which would allow for a good grip if on the beach or by the pool. The only pitfall of it that I see thus far is the price, it's pretty pricey when it's possible to buy a facial moisturizer and sunscreen much cheaper at a drugstore. If we are being honest it is a glorified $32 sunscreen,
Kimberly C.
Jackson, MI
Beauty Junkie Expert
tarte tarteguard 30 sunscreen lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 30Tarte is my favorite product. I trust all there products. Smooth lotion not greasy. Very good clean smell.
I purchased a his product online at my tarte store. I use it before every road run. I would recommend this product to my friends family and clients. Ten out of ten stars.
Melissa W.
Hunlock Creek, PA
Beauty Junkie Expert
I received a full sized Tarte Tarteguard 30 sunscreen lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 30 in one of my beauty box subscriptions.  I was a bit hesitant to use it, as I usually only use 50 SPF or higher, but I tried it anyway.  Well... I ended up really liking it.  So much, that I ordered another one.  It did not cause me to burn at all, while applying every 2 hours, as you should with all sunblocks.  It did not leave a white cast either, as long as you don't use too much.  I highly recommend!
J C.
Brookhaven, GA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Tarte released their first-ever, non-chemical sunscreen that promises to not only protect, moisturize, and brighten but also re-invigorate the skin for a youthful-looking appearance! How about that? A sunscreen that re-invigorates the skin! Well, you have my full attention, Tarte!

While I'm not thoroughly happy with the low percentage of active ingredients, I have to say I applaud Tarte for infusing so many antioxidants in the formula! Maracuja oil, soybean extract, apple extract, and vitamin E to name a few. Not to mention red algae, honeysuckle extract, and sodium hyaluronate to keep your skin soft and moisturized!

Speaking of formula, I find it to be creamy and just a tiny bit thicker than normal lotion. It is milky white in color and requires some massaging into the skin to get rid of the white cast. And even then, I still see a hint of white residue on my skin from time to time (as seen below in my arm swatch). It's not too bad in real life, though, and if you follow with a primer, foundation, or powder, I doubt it will even be noticeable at all.
ROSA M.
Nadia C.
New Britain, CT
Does this work well with foundation over it?
Katherine G.
Claudia E.
Is this sunscreen last a long time
Paige K.
Fort Mill
Does this have a tint to it? And do you guys wear it under your makeup?