BY TARTE #10 in Facial Sunscreen

• The packaging is really pretty. How is it? Is it oily?1 Answers
  • Is this specifically for face, or do you use it as a body sunscre...6 Answers
  • Does this look/feel greasy on your skin?2 Answers
Buy on Sephora
  • "this product is very good. the price of this product is very good. this product is smooth and very hydrating to the face while protecting your skin from the sun. i would recommend this product to people." in 1972 reviews
Sarah C.
Charlottesville, VA
Bear in mind that I am extremely picky about sunscreen in general and facial sunscreens in particular. I have dry, sensitive skin that almost often reacts negatively to chemical sunscreens and often to physical ones, too. In this respect, Tarteguard is fine - it does not irritate my skin, it doesn't hurt, it doesn't cause any negative reaction.  That's the high point. Does smell like a physical sunscreen, although it's not as bad as some others, and it doesn't turn me as opaquely white/milky as some do, either.  It is a little greasy (though not the greasiest I've tried) and while my dry skin can tolerate it, it doesn't work terribly well under makeup. At SPF 30, it's not high enough to use if I'm at the beach, pool, etc., so I was hoping this would work well under makeup as a daily use item - when I'm outside off and on but don't need the high coverage of an extended stay in the sun. Accordingly, this sort of failed me for its intended purpose and for that I won't repurchase. But my biggest complaint, and the real reason for the low rating, is that I had an extremely difficult time getting this out of its bottle (the pump didn't seem strong enough for the thick consistency), and it also thickened/dried/became goopy very quickly.
Shasha S.
Erica L.
Hagerman, NM
Let me start by saying that I am incredibly picky about anything I put on my face!! And I do mean picky... like obsessively so. To the point that I will be late to and event or work because something doesn’t feel right and I am scrubbing it off and starting over picky. It’s due to the fact that I have had so many instances of product not working or even worse (cue drama music here) I break out!?!!
Now in today’s climate you would think I would be more worried about sun damage than a few pimples but such is not the case. Aging has been hard for me so adding just one more thing like blemishes tips me over into freak out mode... no seriously freak out mode as I’m crying hysterically. It’s ridiculous but I own it.
That’s where this little gem comes in. I have tried so many formulas that just don’t do it for me. They either don’t work or my makeup just doesn’t sit right or they cause flare ups. It was a definite bonus to find that I could wear this alone or under my makeup. Now alone I had to make sure it worked. After having a mole removed (twice) it is critical to not only limit my sun exposure but to make sure that when i am exposes I really am protected. This... well it does that and I am really grateful! No more hiding under sheets at the family picnic for me. In addition, it really didn’t disturb how my makeup applies or layered.
The consistency was not bad. I didn’t find it overly thick and it melted into my skin nicely with no sunscreen residue that is so apparent in most.
I would say this is an amazing product and one I will purchase over and over. I have even recommended it to several family members as it is never to early or late to start protecting your skin.
Meyling M.
Jacksonville, Fl
This is one of my new favorite products especially for the transition from spring to summer. No matter what time of year it is always a good idea to wear sunscreen, however, most of us probably are not motivated to apply a greasy formula to our face that smells of coconuts and bananas all year round. This product is a great way of changing that. The packaging is beyond adorable and I like that it has a silicon cover on it, which would allow for a good grip if on the beach or by the pool. The only pitfall of it that I see thus far is the price, it's pretty pricey when it's possible to buy a facial moisturizer and sunscreen much cheaper at a drugstore. If we are being honest it is a glorified $32 sunscreen, however, the packaging, scent, and overall feel of the product is enough payoff for the money. The overall experience definitely makes me want to apply it daily.I have read reviews on this product that it makes some people break out, my skin type is normal to dry and I have had no issue. The scent is very nice and subtle. In my experience I have noticed that when it is first applied it does make my face slightly tacky (as any sunscreen would), but about 10-15 minutes later my skin is left feeling very smooth. Application is easy and the product does "melt into the skin" as advertised. in relation to the extra benefits that Tarte claims it has, My skin does seem a bit firmer while using it. My makeup applies easily over it and is left very smooth. Note: I have not foundation over this. the only makeup product applied directly over tarteguard was a pressed blush.
Britney S.
Greeneville , TN
I think this product is good for the cooler months when you don’t need as much sunscreen protection but want still want some to go under makeup but I wouldn’t recommend this for summer as your only sunscreen because you will definitely still get burnt. If you want to mix this with a foundation that also has sunscreen then I think that would work but I just wouldn’t rely on only this. Also make sure you check the expiration date on the bottle because for some reason these expire pretty quickly and I guess Sephora can’t keep up with it because I seen a lot of reviews about people receiving expired bottles. This sunscreen will become a greasy oily mess that’s separated if it’s expired.
Keri D.
I had a deluxe sample of this through a Play! by Sephora box. I’m trying to be more consistent about using sunscreen every day since I have fair skin and have already had some severe sunburns, so this being SPF 30 is instantly a huge plus. I like that it has a thinner, more liquid texture and spreads easily without leaving a white cast. Tarte also has a great formula that wears well under makeup without noticeable breaking down after a few hours. And I didn’t burn while using this even during the summer/early fall, which I was very happy about! The only major drawback is the price: $32 for 1.7 fl oz is a bit expensive for me considering this would be something I wear daily.
autumn g.
Parkersburg, WV
I’m not particularly a fan of using this as an entire body sunscreen, but it is my go to for my face! I love wearing this under my makeup, or just my bare face. Some may consider $32 too much for a product, but I think it’s worth it with the protection it provides. I think it also has a good scent. Although, I have noticed that it feels sorta sticky and heavy at times when I put on another pump for extra protection. I do not like the way that feels. Regardless, I would still recommend this product because you can’t go wrong with giving your face the best protection from the sun.
Alyssa V.
Pawtucket, RI
If you’re 20+ and aren’t using any form of SPF in your skincare/makeup routine, start now! It’s a true form of anti-aging and protects you from harmful sun exposure which is year round, not just in the Summer.

Tarte’s sunscreen is amazing, and perfect for start of the day use. The formula is lightweight, Non-greasy, really sinks into skin, and will have zero affect on makeup application. Perfect for all skin types, including oily and sensitive. This has never made my combination, acne prone skin break out, flare up, or become/look irritated.
Kristina G.
Huntingtn Bch, CA
I'm skeptical when I hear chemical free and amazing. Usually it has huge hype but ends up being greasy. I wear contacts and live in sunny California so picking a sunblock that won't blind me with stinging pain in the eyes is important. This product goes on greasy at first but that goes away and it leaves no joker mask white residue either. I hate the chemical smell because I quickly worry others will smell that on me all day. Luckily it does have a nice scent that isn't chemical toxic based. Overall I'm highly impressed.
Rachel T.
I have very acne prone and oily skin, and this sunscreen is the only sunscreen I have found that does not break me out. In order to avoid feeling heavy, you need to really massage this into your face, but then it completely sinks in. I take away a star because on my oily skin, especially in the summer (which is when I would use this most often), it makes me pretty shiny, and my makeup does not last as long. But for going to the beach, on a jog, or on no makeup days, this is the only sunscreen I'll reach for.
ROSA M.
Nadia C.
New Britain, CT
Does this work well with foundation over it?
Katherine G.
Claudia E.
Is this sunscreen last a long time
Paige K.
Fort Mill
Does this have a tint to it? And do you guys wear it under your makeup?