BY TARTE

WHAT IT IS

WHAT IT DOES

Erica L.
Hagerman, NM
Let me start by saying that I am incredibly picky about anything I put on my face!! And I do mean picky... like obsessively so. To the point that I will be late to and event or work because something doesn’t feel right and I am scrubbing it off and starting over picky. It’s due to the fact that I have had so many instances of product not working or even worse (cue drama music here) I break out!?!!
Now in today’s climate you would think I would be more worried about sun damage than a few pimples but such is not the case. Aging has been hard for me so adding just one more thing like blemishes tips me over into freak out mode... no seriously freak out mode as I’m crying hysterically. It’s ridiculous but I own it.
That’s where this little gem comes in. I have tried so many formulas that just don’t do it for me. They either don’t work or my makeup just doesn’t sit right or they cause flare ups. It was a definite bonus to find that I could wear this alone or under my makeup. Now alone I had to make sure it worked. After having a mole removed (twice) it is critical to not only limit my sun exposure but to make sure that when i am exposes I really am protected. This... well it does that and I am really grateful! No more hiding under sheets at the family picnic for me. In addition, it really didn’t disturb how my makeup applies or layered.
The consistency was not bad. I didn’t find it overly thick and it melted into my skin nicely with no sunscreen residue that is so apparent in most.
I would say this is an amazing product and one I will purchase over and over. I have even recommended it to several family members as it is never to early or late to start protecting your skin.
Sarah C.
Charlottesvle, VA
Bear in mind that I am extremely picky about sunscreen in general and facial sunscreens in particular. I have dry, sensitive skin that almost often reacts negatively to chemical sunscreens and often to physical ones, too. In this respect, Tarteguard is fine - it does not irritate my skin, it doesn't hurt, it doesn't cause any negative reaction.  That's the high point. Does smell like a physical sunscreen, although it's not as bad as some others, and it doesn't turn me as opaquely white/milky as some do, either.  It is a little greasy (though not the greasiest I've tried) and while my dry skin can tolerate it, it doesn't work terribly well under makeup. At SPF 30, it's not high enough to use if I'm at the beach, pool, etc., so I was hoping this would work well under makeup as a daily use item - when I'm outside off and on but don't need the high coverage of an extended stay in the sun. Accordingly, this sort of failed me for its intended purpose and for that I won't repurchase. But my biggest complaint, and the real reason for the low rating, is that I had an extremely difficult time getting this out of its bottle (the pump didn't seem strong enough for the thick consistency), and it also thickened/dried/became goopy very quickly.
Britney S.
Elizabethton, TN
I think this product is good for the cooler months when you don’t need as much sunscreen protection but want still want some to go under makeup but I wouldn’t recommend this for summer as your only sunscreen because you will definitely still get burnt. If you want to mix this with a foundation that also has sunscreen then I think that would work but I just wouldn’t rely on only this. Also make sure you check the expiration date on the bottle because for some reason these expire pretty quickly and I guess Sephora can’t keep up with it because I seen a lot of reviews about people receiving expired bottles. This sunscreen will become a greasy oily mess that’s separated if it’s expired.
Shanel A.
Norcross, GA
It gives soft texture on skin. I would definitely recommend this product and brand too.Its better to search for offers before buying.Have different shades of color for different skin tones.I like to visit above stores only to buy this and find offers.It gives fantastic look for party and for simple makeup also.I am kinda shopholic ;) so love to buy and try different products ,brands and shades.Now in today’s climate you would think I would be more worried about sun damage than a few pimples but such is not the case. Aging has been hard for me so adding just one more thing like blemishes tips me over into freak out mode... no seriously freak out mode as I’m crying hysterically arte is the only brand of sunscreen I’ve been able to use that doesn’t sweat off of my face and cause me to burn and the only one that doesn’t clog the pores along my T Zone and lead to zits! I absolutely love this SPF and swear by it. We all know that it is CRITICAL to apply SPF and to not wear it bc it clogs your pores just means painful and damaging sunburns that can cause unsightly wrinkles and discoloration and, hello—cancer—and that’s not allowed! This SPF is literally a face and life saver!
autumn g.
Mineral Wells, WV
I’m not particularly a fan of using this as an entire body sunscreen, but it is my go to for my face! I love wearing this under my makeup, or just my bare face. Some may consider $32 too much for a product, but I think it’s worth it with the protection it provides. I think it also has a good scent. Although, I have noticed that it feels sorta sticky and heavy at times when I put on another pump for extra protection. I do not like the way that feels. Regardless, I would still recommend this product because you can’t go wrong with giving your face the best protection from the sun.
Ameera M.
Queens Vlg, NY
I haven't worn sunscreen for ages because I can wear only physical sunscreens and I hadn't yet found one that wasn't a total grease bomb or white-out disaster. I tried this product on only half my face and neck so that I could get a real comparison. The verdict? Several hours after applying, the Tarteguard side of my face looked no different than the sunscreen-free side - no extra shine, no white cast. Tarteguard doesn't feel heavier or stickier than only moisturizer after about 15 minutes, but you can tell the difference when you first apply. My skin doesn't feel sticky to the touch, either. However, the skin on my neck is super uncomfortable on the Tarteguard side. I can feel the product on my neck and it's sticky in the creases in my neck. I'll keep this product and continue to use it, but I won't apply it to my neck, as the feel of it is quite distracting.
Chelsea M.
Havelock, NC
Make this your GO TO facial sunscreen! Hands down the best. With ingredients such as maracuja oil that visible smooths & brightens the face, red algae and soybean extract that combat aging and honeysuckle extract that soothes the skin instantly. That is just a few among several over powerful ingredients packed into this product! With a high SPF of 30 it still remains silky smooth, goes on clear and does not make your face greasy. Wear alone or under makeup. As an individual with oily & acne prone skin this product has protected by skin from damaging UV rays and not caused acne or excessive oil, in fact it has played a huge role in preventing that. This product is also vegan and non-chemical! At the price $32 for a 1.7 oz countainer that will last you all summer using everyday -  this product is must! Take care of your skin!
Kate B.
Yuma
For a sunscreen that is supposed to go under your makeup I very much enjoyed it. It didnt disturb how my makeup lays on my face. But if you're going to be in the sun for more than an hour I suggest using a higher SPF sunscreen. From my experience I wasnt in the sun for long and still came home with slightly sun burnt cheeks and nose. I will say it wasnt a full on sun burn but I still did get noticeably red which means the sun screen wasnt that strong and the harmful rays did get to my skin.
Evelyn R.
Coachella , CA
Purchased at: Sephora
Oily Skin Approved I'll start off by saying this worked well for me and my oily skin, I put it beneath my whole makeup routine I let my skin absorb it for a couple minutes and continue with my primer, foundation, concealer so on and so forth and finish with a setting powder (for those who have oily skin, combination skin and don't set their make up with a powder you don't know what huge of a difference that makes you think you don't need it but it does get you to not get so oily fast) and well it didn't make me any more oilier so I think it's safe to say it works well on Oily Skin. Love the packaging, the consistency, the pleasant scent which does not smell like that strong typical sunscreen smell it's not too strong in my opinion and just right. It's definitely a keeper for me with the experience I had with it, if you find yourself doubtful for any reason I suggest still to try it, it wouldn't hurt worse case you don't like it and you have to return it no biggie...
Wendy S.
Cardington, OH
I have used this when I'm outside for long periods of time. I use this when I go to the beach and I only have positive thoughts on this product. The only thing I don't like about this and it's the bottle is a really decent size and the expiration date comes before I only use half the product. I suppose if you live in a climate that has sun all the time and a beach you shouldn't have a problem. Unfortunately I live in the mid West so not a lot of months of sun.
ROSA M.
San Antonio, TX
Nadia C.
Oakville, CT
Does this work well with foundation over it?
Katherine G.
Claudia E.
Is this sunscreen last a long time
Paige K.
Fort Mill
Does this have a tint to it? And do you guys wear it under your makeup?