BY TARTE #16 in Mascara

A cult classic for over a decade, this best-selling vegan mascara lengthens, curls, volumizes & conditions, acting like a push-up bra for your lashes.

• olive esters: condition, treat & protect lashes
  • rice bran wax: natural wax that helps lengthen the appearance of lashes
  • carnauba wax: an emollient from the leaves of the carnauba palm to ensure a smooth application
  • provitamin B5: helps hydrate & improve the appearance of lashes
  • mineral pigments: soothe & soften skin around the lashline
  • vitamin C: antioxidant that helps fight free radicals

Product performance: Curls & separates every lash with a 360° magniLASH wand for a naturally defined & voluminous look. The mascara’s blend of good-for-you ingredients like rice bran, olive esters & provitamin B5 soften & nourish lashes with each stroke

• Is this mascara really as amazing as they make it out to be? Or is ...46 Answers
  • Did you guys find this better than the drugstore mascaras?8 Answers
  • Would love to try this mascara. Favorite part of ...Be the first to answer!
Buy on Sephora*
Hannah A.
Hannah A.
Review for: 4-In-1 Mini
How It Looks/Smells/Applies:

It doesn't stink like some mascaras. It has a scent, but it isn't nauseating and it is not noticeable when applying. The wand is big with sort, spiky bristles. The mascara is black and the formula is on the drier side, which I prefer. This is also a decent sized sample.

Why I Like It:

I enjoyed getting this from Danielle as well as getting this in my Birchbox, since I really wanted to try it. I'm a mascara junky. I like the drier formula. It is wet without being so wet that it gets everywhere. The mascara really did nothing for my naturally long, thick eye lashes. Oh, you could tell that I was wearing mascara, because my lashes were jet black (they are naturally dark blonde to light brown) and I had little black flecks around my eyes. Yes, this flaked on me. I wear mascara everyday to tame my unruly lashes. This was an okay everyday mascara. Definitely not a favorite and I wouldn't repurchase it.
Diane M.
Diane M.
Los Angeles, CA
Review for: Black
If you have straight facing down lashes, that don't hold a curl easily. I would not recommend this mascara. Its a very wet formula and the tube doesn't remove excess productve from the wand. With that combination, the mascara feels very heavy on my lashes and it didn't hold the curl. It gets clumpy very fast on my lashes and the wand doesn't help. It takes a while for the mascara to dry so it can transfer on to ur lids or uder eye area.
------
Now if you have the time you can make this mascara work. If you remove the excess mascara and then apply light layers. It takes some work but it does lengthen your lashes. I really wanted to like this mascara but it only seems I liked it after about a month when the consistancy of the mascara became less watery. Seeing that your supposed to change your masccara every three months I don't know if its worth the time and effort.
Nhi P.
Nhi P.
Review for: Black
I started off directly with the full size product, unlike many other reviewers. I've used MANY different mascaras over the years and most either clump, straighten my curl, or irritate the bejeezus out of my eyes. This one is easily my favorite. Ever. And I rep a company that sells fiber lashes. It is a little bit liquidy, so I personally do have some trouble with a second coat, but I find that I don't need one. I also find that swirling the brush around as I'm pulling it out helps to remove excess product and cut down on clumps. One coat of this looks as full as my fibers and way longer. In one step. And it doesn't pull my curl straight (a pet peeve since I have short, straight lashes and have to work to curl them) or make my eyes burn, itch, or water. The tube also lasts quite a while. Can't stress enough how much I love this mascara.
Miranda R.
Miranda R.
Review for: Black
Just like most women I have tried dozens of other mascaras and this one is still my go to. Most people would compare this to the "better then sex" mascara and the performance is very similar but Tarte wins the contest. It is the only mascara other people have noticed or complimented me on. It is a very thick formula that grabs the smallest or finest lashes. I also have very oily eye lids and very rarely do I see it wipe off or even flake on my face. The removal is about what you would expect but better then most mascaras in this price range. This is the only mascara in my option where you can finally have it all if you know what you're doing. You have to be patient and layer from the base of your lashes. And just IMO this is the ugliest packaging I have ever seen from Tarte or compared to other any mascaras.
Jen B.
Jen B.
Review for: Black
I'm the kind of girl mascara was designed for. I have very light colored, stubby, sparse lashes. Without Mascara, it looks like I don't have any eyelashes at all.

I've tried SO many mascaras (both high end and drug store) and most were kind of disappointing. A lot of them clumped, many just offered length but no volume, until found one that worked well (lash dom by b.m) but it didn't accomplish all I wanted (it would sometimes clump). I tested out Lights, Camera, Lashes when a store had it on sale for $10. I finally found a mascara that does everything I want. Long, dark, full lashes that doesn't look fake, clump or give me that spider lashes look and I'm hooked! The only con, is it can be a bit challenging to get off (even the non-waterproof) but it's not a bad trade off for such a great mascara.
Doris A.
Doris A.
Jensen Beach, FL
Review for: Duet
Well, I've used this for a super long time, and the first time I used it I was dazzled by how well it worked. I never imagined a natural product could actually WORK. And it does lengthen and volumize your lashes more than I ever would have expected. The packaging is too precious, too. As for my complaints... I found it smudges pretty easily and flakes sometimes, too. But the real thing that irritates me is that it makes my eyelashes ache near the base, close to my eyelid. That was surprising given that the ingredients are so natural. I thought it might be because the mascara was getting too old, so I tried replacing it more frequently, but sadly, same result. So in conclusion, I still use the product from time to time, but if I found something natural that I liked better, I would switch.
Rose R.
Rose R.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I bought this mascara, I've never been used a Tarte product, I've reading cool and nice reviews about this brand, so I thought a mascara form Tarte would be So cool! But I'm disappointed!!
•Why? Well, I love the package of this mascara, the shape and color, but I don't like the fact of the golden letters was faded away... yes. 🙄
•The product inside: this is not waterproof I know that! But is incredible how it smudge your eyes through the hours, WOW! So horrible, you looks like a panda even when your eyes aren't in contact with water or sweat.
•When i put on my eyelashes I don't like how it let them! Looking sticky, feeling bad.
So, I only recommend you this Tarté mascara when need to go out quickly to somewhere. Because if your going for many hours this is not your mascara!
Chloe H.
Chloe H.
Review for: Black
I got this mascara at Ulta during their 21 days of beauty for only $10!! I also got the last one at my location. My mom tried it and didn't like it so she gave it to me. The formulation is drier than most and can get clumpy but if you do it right, it looks great. It adds length to my lashed and separates them, but I don't think it gives me any volume. It's also the only mascara that I've tried that doesn't transfer under my eyes during the day. It lasted about 8 hours until it did go under my eyes, but it wasn't as bad as most. It says on the box that it's a 4-1 mascara, but I don't know what it's supposed to do. If anyone knows, please let me know. It's a good mascara for $10, but I would never pay full price for it, so I probably would not repurchase.
Kiara V.
Kiara V.
Brookline, MA
Review for: Black
Being a girl with short lashes, I am always trying to find a mascara that can add lots of volume and length. I have heard such wonderful things about the mascara so I went ahead and paid the $20+ dollars for it. Since I usually buy drug store mascara, I was a little wary of the price and expected it to be worth my money. I am not sure if it is because I have such small lashes, but this mascara does not work for me. It does add volume and length, but I feel like I have some drugstore mascaras that have done the same or better job with my lashes. The formula is pretty heavy, but I do enjoy the shape of the wand. You also can never go wrong with Tarte packaging. Alas, I would say that it is a mediocre mascara for me, not outstanding.
Genevieve M.
Genevieve M.
Granger, IN
Review for: Black
This is one of my favorite mascaras to reach for in my whole collection, and the very FIRST one I recommend to customers every day! It's extremely gentle, formulated without sulfates, phalates, and virtually anything that can irritate your eyes all the way up to gluten (in case you have a gluten sensitivity) so it WILL NOT irritate your eyes, no matter now sensitive. The formula is also fantastic on the lashes, giving lift, volume, separation, and generally being awesome without clumping or looking thick, which gives a really great "naturally fabulous" lash look (as opposed to a clumpy, obvious mascara look). I highly recommend everyone give this a chance at least ONCE in your life. You will NOT regret it! :)
Christina C.
Christina C.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Is this mascara really as amazing as they make it out to be? Or is it just as good as any low end mascara?
jasmine A.
jasmine A.
Fife , WA
Beauty Junkie Expert
I hear this it the best mascara is this true should I go buy some myself?
Maddie M.
Maddie M.
Bloomington, IN
Anyone else struggle getting this mascara off?
Megan G.
Megan G.
Does this clump up and flake. does it last all day
Chrissy P.
Chrissy P.
Indiana, PA
Where can you buy this? I don't think that I have ever seen it in the stores? And what is the price?