BY ANDY TENNANT

In this romantic comedy, New York fashion designer Melanie Carmichael (Reese Witherspoon) suddenly finds herself engaged to the city's most eligible bachelor. But Melanie's past holds many secrets, including Jake (Josh Lucas), the redneck husband she married in high school, who refuses to divorce her. Bound and determined to end their contentious relationship once and for all, Melanie sneaks back home to Alabama to confront her past, only to discover that you can take the girl out of the South, but you can never take the South out of the girl.

Sweet Home Alabama
  • "The movie was OK. Usually I like Reese Witherspoon but this movie was just a little slow and it kinda felt like every other movie out there." in 19 reviews
  • "Sweet classic romantic comedy, reese is so cute, I own this dvd and love watching it, never gets old!" in 10 reviews
  • "This chick flick starring Reese Witherspoon is definitely one of the few I can watch again and again." in 8 reviews
  • "Whenever anyone asks me what my favorite movie is, I always say Sweet Home Alabama." in 8 reviews
  • "This is a Great movie to see and i love that she comes from a small town and there is also a love story there and has bits of comedy" in 5 reviews
Ciara C.
Amelia , OH
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This is the best southern love story, a classic. The soundtrack was upbeat when it needed to be and soft when it needed to be. My favorite scene is when she walks into the lighting glass shop and sees that he never got over her. The end when they kiss is so magical and the excitement of wanting these two together was so fun!
Stephanie S.
New Oxford, PA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I cannot even count how many times I have watched Sweet Home Alabama! Such a sweet yet funny romance with a twinge of sadness from the past! I love all the twists and turns of finding her way back home as much as she tries to deny it! Must Watch Movie!!!
Stephanie A.
WAYNESVILLE, NC
I love Reese Witherspoon, she is an amazing actress. I loved the relationship her and Jake had throughout the movie. I can watch this over and over again. Many funny parts to this movie, and who doesn't like a hot southern fella!
Lynn B.
1,012 reviews
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This is an enjoyable chick flick. You feel for the characters when they face a difficult decision. I liked the ending and it satisfied viewers. The acting was good. I’ve seen it a couple of times. It isn’t my first choice, but I’d watch it if nothing else was on tv.
Mckenna D.
American Fork
My favorite line is “so I can kiss you anytime
I want” and this is one of the best movies! My mom and I love this movie, they actors are amazing Reese Witherspoon!!! Love her and I watch this a million times a week!
Tessa C.
Martha, KY
1,251 reviews
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Getting down with my most country self. I LOVE this movie and I love Reese Witherspoon and without. Hahahah. Great love story. And the guy she (almost) marrys.. yum! Lol hes my fav on Greys Anatony.
Himali B.
New York
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This movie is so much fun to watch & so heart touching. I love Reese Witherspoon she is so good especially I this movie she is just amazing. It's a good story built around her inner conflict to choose between her past & her future. Also, this story lays emphasis on the fact that no matter where we go & what we become we can never forget or should cover here we came from & who we are. It's painful to see the situation her husband is in. You want teh main character to choose what's good for her life & career but in the meantime you also want her to do the right thing & be fair. Over a great story & great actors. Very entertaining & it does reach you a lesson or two.
Brooke B.
Statesboro, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
One of my favorite movies growing up I would literally watch this movie almost every day. Great plot, character development, and overall great. If you haven't seen it already you should. I don't wanna go into too much detail about the storyline because it'll give it away. It's about this small town girl who moved to NYC to have a career and gets engaged but hadn't spoken to her family in Alabama in years and she flys home to see them and break the big news but ends up running into her past and she's forced to make decisions about her life. It's very good!
Sarah H.
Lake St Louis, MO
I cannot get enough of this movie. Any time it is in tv I stop to watch it because it’s such a funny and easy to watch movie. My favorite line has always been “you have a baby, in a bar...” or “so I can kiss you anytime I want”. Great movie, perfect cast, and such a cute love story.
Jennifer W.
Winfield, AL
I LOVE this movie! Reese is always a great actress but this my favorite of her. You'll have lots of laughs and maybe a few cries with this movie! The music is pretty good too! You must try it! I own it!
Hope H.
Who would you have chosen?
Lindsay S.
Burlington, KY
Are they going to make a 2nd sweet home Alabama?
Victoria F.