Add a Photo

By SUPERGOOP!
#68 in Sunscreen

An innovative three-in-one mist that sets makeup, helps control oil and shine, and refreshes your defense against photoaging UV rays with an uplifting scent of rosemary and mint. The secret to totally sun-safe skin is reapplying your UV defense at least every two hours when in direct sunlight. Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50 is the best way to reapply UV protection throughout the day without disturbing your makeup. Inspired by the trends in mists, SUPERGOOP!'s founder, Holly Thaggard, wanted to provide a product that would deliver the benefits of both a makeup setting spray as well as a refreshing afternoon pick-me-up, but with the added and necessary age preventative benefit of broad-spectrum SPF 50 UV protection. Optical diffusing silica silylate controls oil and scatters light to reduce shine and provide a matte finish while the formula is enlivened with an invigorating essence of antioxidant-rich rosemary to help visible slow skin aging, improve complexion, and soothe inflammation.

It is formulated Without:

- Parabens

- Sulfates

This product is clinically tested, noncomedogenic, non-irritating, and allergy-free. It is formulated without synthetic fragrance and oxybenzone.

Photos (54)
Summer C.
Summer C.
Suffolk, VA

There are a couple of things I want to say about this product.
1. I tried it at sephora and loved the smell and the idea - cuz we all know how hard it is to make sunscreen work underneath makeup. However, it only worked fine the first time. Then it started shooting out like a water gun - it felt like it just spat at him. It shot out so fact that it moved my makeup out of place. I had to reapply all my makeup.

2. Maybe it's just a matter of personal preference - this is not a mist! its something, but definitely not mist. After you spray your face, you can see water droplets on your fact, looks almost like its absorbing all the makeup.

3. This is a chemical sunscreen, not physical. If you read the ingredients, abovenzone, homosalate, octinoxate and octisalate are all chemical sunscreen. They absorb sunlight and break it down, whereas physical sunscreen like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide reflect the sunlight away from the skin. I don't like put chemical sunscreen on my face.

4. It leaves your face feel like it's covered in something thick. I have tried this on my body too, it just feels like my skin can't breath underneath this. I know you will say that's how sunscreen should be, but i have had so many other sunscreens that don't leave your skin feeling suffocated, just saying.

Overall, i am not happy with this product at all. I think this is a cool idea, but they need to improve. I am returning it.
riz z.
riz z.
Flushing, NY

This is not only a great setting mist, it's also an awesome sunscreen. I use it because the Florida sun is relentless and I need a good sunscreen every day. I hate the greasiness of most high SPF lotions and they don't work well under makeup when you have oily skin like I do. So this spray SPF 50 mist is the perfect solution. I have worn it when riding motorcycles and it's worked like a charm. I've also used it during outdoor sporting events and I've never had even a hint of sunburn. I use it daily to set my makeup and it's been a true champ at keeping my face fresh even as the heat and humidity climb. I have used it for about 6 months in all kinds of situations and it's always worked perfectly. When riding the bike, I keep it in my backpack and reapply every few hours. I do the same thing at any outdoor event. However, just one spritz is all I need for any regular day. It can sting a little when it first goes on, which is not uncomfortable, so be sure to keep your eyes closed but it dries almost instantly. It's far superior to any sunscreen lotion, especially if you have oily or combination skin. I highly recommend it for all skin types and I have repeatedly purchased the large bottle at Sephora. There's simply nothing better than this two in one product.
Sela Y.
Sela Y.
Los Angeles, CA

This stuff is the truth for oily skin girls! I didn't have high hopes for this after trying a different spf setting spray and hating it, but this is spray is soooo much better. I have an extremely oily tzone and this is the most mattifying spray I've ever used. It's also the first spray that has actually kept my skin matte until mid day. I usually start getting shiny within a couple of hours so I was shocked when checked the mirror in the afternoon and saw that I wasn't a total grease ball.

I also noticed that this spray definitely helps with the longevity of your makeup. It really locks it in place and keeps it on for a long time.

The mattifying properties and how long this makes my makeup last makes the spf just an added bonus! And no white cast!!! This product is amazing.

I took off one star because when I spray this on my face it seems to settle on top of the peach fuzz on my face so I have to use a beauty blender to press it into my skin. But other than that absolutely wonderful product
Amy Y.
Amy Y.

I got this as a deluxe sample from Sephora, and I really love the concept of this product as a setting mist, sunscreen, and mattifyer all in one. However, I'm not sure how effective it is as every category. As a setting spray, I do think that this products helps in prolonging my makeup. The texture is light, and a little bit sticky. As a mattifier, for my ultra-oily t-zone, it doesn't do much, although I can see that after the spray dries, the texture is definitely matte. As a sunscreen, I've heard mixed reviews. Someone posted that because the type of sunscreen used in this formula needs to absorb into the skin to work, it defeats the purpose by being a makeup setting spray, because the makeup might make it harder to absorb. Not sure whether I believe this, but I would not use this as the only sunscreen in my routine (I typically put on a physical sunscreen before I start applying makeup). I still find myself coming back to this product for its other benefits, and the smell is very nice.
Jennica B.
Jennica B.

This is one of the better setting sprays I've tried, if not the best, for reference I have dry skin with an oily t-zone. It's a more expensive setting spray, so I don't use it daily, but I can definitely tell a difference when I do use it. I took this on vacation with me to both my July trip to California, and my trip to Mexico the following September, and when I was wearing this, my makeup lasted longer. Plus, I was the only one not to get a sunburn thanks to the SPF 50! The only time I felt it didn't hold up well was after a few hours in over 100 degree weather in Palm Springs on the 4th of July, but I don't think anything would have kept me flawless in that heat. I didn't have any BB cream breakdown, only shine (let's be real: sweat) coming through. I currently own the travel size bottle, but definitely plan to purchase a full size this summer.
Lindsey R.
Lindsey R.
Sacramento, CA

Why did it take so long to come out with a product like this? It is an absolute must have item because it does everything I need it to as the last step in my make up routine even a touch up step. It is SPF 50 which is awesome because I hate how sunscreen feels in lotions and face creams and sets my makeup with just enough matte to control oil but not make my dry skin flaky or too matte because I do like more of a radiant finish. It has holding power on my makeup which is ideal because I'm a mom of two and don't have much time for a touch up. Also I like to spritz all over face and neck and shoulders for extra protection. It has a great refreshing smell of rosemary that isn't overpowering at all as well. Even if you're sensitive to fragrance the smell doesn't last but your makeup will.
Angela L.
Angela L.
Saint Louis, MO

I tried this as part of the Sephora Sun Safety Kit. I use setting spray every day and I'm pretty obsessive about sunscreen, so the idea of getting a little bonus SPF in setting-spray form sounded great. I really wanted to like this product. The spray isn’t as fine as Urban Decay or Skindinavia setting sprays and you can see discrete white droplets when it hits your face, but I can live with that - I patted in the droplets and they absorbed/disappeared without disturbing my makeup. Unfortunately, my makeup melted within an hour of using this - on my combo/oily skin, with the makeup I used (50/50 mix of Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream and Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo foundation), it just doesn't work as a setting spray. I'll probably just end up using it on my neck/chest area instead.
Brittney K.
Brittney K.
Louisville, KY

One of the best setting sprays I've ever used. I love trying out new products and when I found a sample size of this spray in the impulse section at Sephora, I figured it was worth a shot. So glad I did. I've already run out and will be picking up another. Makes my face look FLAWLESS. I swear on days I used it I had to keep looking in the mirror 😂. If I had to give negatives, the first would be the smell. My oh my the smell. Very chemical smelling and I'd have to hold my breath while spraying. The second critique would be that I would have to cover my eye makeup with my hand while spraying otherwise it would cause sticking of my mascara. HOWEVER, I am totally looking past that because of what this product does and the end result.
Sara M.
Sara M.
Pensacola, FL

I purchased the 1oz bottle to try it out as I enjoy facial mists/sprays. I gave it a 3 star rating because I did not love it as a setting spray over makeup, but I do enjoy it before my morning outside workouts or trips to the beach, when I have on minimal to no makeup. It is a little pricey just looking at the cost, but not so bad when you compare it to other similar products. Another issue I have with the packaging is the spray nozzle sometimes gets stuck and it does not give an even spray. This is one product where I have seen people who absolutely love it and others who absolutely hate it. If you are in the market for a facial spray with SPF then I would have to say try it and see where you fall on the spectrum.
Stacey L.
Stacey L.

Like someone else had written, this product is pretty revolutionary/amazing in concept. The execution is pretty poor. I am a sunscreen fanatic. So anyway I can get it that makes reapplication easy I would spend the money for. I really loved the idea of a sunscreen you could reapply without messing up your makeup and then this product claims to enhance the wearability of your makeup. How cool would that be. Unfortunately, I couldn't even get two weeks out of this product on account of the spray pump continuously clogging. I would even soak it in hot water and it would work again for a short while then clog again. I'll repurchase when they figure out a new way to bottle it.
Liseth S.
Liseth S.

I wear liquid eyeliner and mascara (not waterproof). Will this spray make my eye make up run?
Meaghan C.
Meaghan C.
West Yarmouth , MA

How does this feel on the skin? Is it greasy or does it truly absorb oil? I am looking for a new way to refresh my daily SPF
Elle J.
Elle J.

Does this sting your eyes?
Does this actually work? is it a popular product?
Shaunacey B.
Shaunacey B.

Does this have any effect on the makeup already applied? Other sprays I've used smudged makeup