BY SUPERGOOP! #36 in Sunscreen

An innovative three-in-one mist that sets makeup, helps control oil and shine, and refreshes your defense against photoaging UV rays with an uplifting scent of rosemary and mint. The secret to totally sun-safe skin is reapplying your UV defense at least every two hours when in direct sunlight. Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50 is the best way to reapply UV protection throughout the day without disturbing your makeup. Inspired by the trends in mists, SUPERGOOP!'s founder, Holly Thaggard, wanted to provide a product that would deliver the benefits of both a makeup setting spray as well as a refreshing afternoon pick-me-up, but with the added and necessary age preventative benefit of broad-spectrum SPF 50 UV protection. Optical diffusing silica silylate controls oil and scatters light to reduce shine and provide a matte finish while the formula is enlivened with an invigorating essence of antioxidant-rich rosemary to help visible slow skin aging, improve complexion, and soothe inflammation.

It is formulated Without:

- Parabens

- Sulfates

This product is clinically tested, noncomedogenic, non-irritating, and allergy-free. It is formulated without synthetic fragrance and oxybenzone.

• Is this a must have for spring?1 Answers
  • Please someone could explain me better how to use this spray? I'v...2 Answers
  • I have super oily skin that is prone to breakouts. Does this TRUL...1 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
Summer C.
Summer C.
Suffolk, VA
There are a couple of things I want to say about this product.
1. I tried it at sephora and loved the smell and the idea - cuz we all know how hard it is to make sunscreen work underneath makeup. However, it only worked fine the first time. Then it started shooting out like a water gun - it felt like it just spat at him. It shot out so fact that it moved my makeup out of place. I had to reapply all my makeup.

2. Maybe it's just a matter of personal preference - this is not a mist! its something, but definitely not mist. After you spray your face, you can see water droplets on your fact, looks almost like its absorbing all the makeup.

3. This is a chemical sunscreen, not physical. If you read the ingredients, abovenzone, homosalate, octinoxate and octisalate are all chemical sunscreen. They absorb sunlight and break it down, whereas physical sunscreen like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide reflect the sunlight away from the skin. I don't like put chemical sunscreen on my face.

4. It leaves your face feel like it's covered in something thick. I have tried this on my body too, it just feels like my skin can't breath underneath this. I know you will say that's how sunscreen should be, but i have had so many other sunscreens that don't leave your skin feeling suffocated, just saying.

Overall, i am not happy with this product at all. I think this is a cool idea, but they need to improve. I am returning it.
Amy Y.
Amy Y.
I got this as a deluxe sample from Sephora, and I really love the concept of this product as a setting mist, sunscreen, and mattifyer all in one. However, I'm not sure how effective it is as every category. As a setting spray, I do think that this products helps in prolonging my makeup. The texture is light, and a little bit sticky. As a mattifier, for my ultra-oily t-zone, it doesn't do much, although I can see that after the spray dries, the texture is definitely matte. As a sunscreen, I've heard mixed reviews. Someone posted that because the type of sunscreen used in this formula needs to absorb into the skin to work, it defeats the purpose by being a makeup setting spray, because the makeup might make it harder to absorb. Not sure whether I believe this, but I would not use this as the only sunscreen in my routine (I typically put on a physical sunscreen before I start applying makeup). I still find myself coming back to this product for its other benefits, and the smell is very nice.
Jennica B.
Jennica B.
This is one of the better setting sprays I've tried, if not the best, for reference I have dry skin with an oily t-zone. It's a more expensive setting spray, so I don't use it daily, but I can definitely tell a difference when I do use it. I took this on vacation with me to both my July trip to California, and my trip to Mexico the following September, and when I was wearing this, my makeup lasted longer. Plus, I was the only one not to get a sunburn thanks to the SPF 50! The only time I felt it didn't hold up well was after a few hours in over 100 degree weather in Palm Springs on the 4th of July, but I don't think anything would have kept me flawless in that heat. I didn't have any BB cream breakdown, only shine (let's be real: sweat) coming through. I currently own the travel size bottle, but definitely plan to purchase a full size this summer.
Angela L.
Angela L.
Saint Louis, MO
I tried this as part of the Sephora Sun Safety Kit. I use setting spray every day and I'm pretty obsessive about sunscreen, so the idea of getting a little bonus SPF in setting-spray form sounded great. I really wanted to like this product. The spray isn’t as fine as Urban Decay or Skindinavia setting sprays and you can see discrete white droplets when it hits your face, but I can live with that - I patted in the droplets and they absorbed/disappeared without disturbing my makeup. Unfortunately, my makeup melted within an hour of using this - on my combo/oily skin, with the makeup I used (50/50 mix of Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream and Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo foundation), it just doesn't work as a setting spray. I'll probably just end up using it on my neck/chest area instead.
Brittney K.
Brittney K.
Louisville, KY
One of the best setting sprays I've ever used. I love trying out new products and when I found a sample size of this spray in the impulse section at Sephora, I figured it was worth a shot. So glad I did. I've already run out and will be picking up another. Makes my face look FLAWLESS. I swear on days I used it I had to keep looking in the mirror 😂. If I had to give negatives, the first would be the smell. My oh my the smell. Very chemical smelling and I'd have to hold my breath while spraying. The second critique would be that I would have to cover my eye makeup with my hand while spraying otherwise it would cause sticking of my mascara. HOWEVER, I am totally looking past that because of what this product does and the end result.
Sara M.
Sara M.
Pensacola, FL
I purchased the 1oz bottle to try it out as I enjoy facial mists/sprays. I gave it a 3 star rating because I did not love it as a setting spray over makeup, but I do enjoy it before my morning outside workouts or trips to the beach, when I have on minimal to no makeup. It is a little pricey just looking at the cost, but not so bad when you compare it to other similar products. Another issue I have with the packaging is the spray nozzle sometimes gets stuck and it does not give an even spray. This is one product where I have seen people who absolutely love it and others who absolutely hate it. If you are in the market for a facial spray with SPF then I would have to say try it and see where you fall on the spectrum.
Kristin A.
Kristin A.
Newcastle, WA
A summer staple for me! Well, really, year round because sunscreen is so important! I keep a mini can of this in my purse all the time for a quick refresh of my sun protection and to ensure my makeup is set. It works great. I've even used it in a pinch on my arms when I had to roll up my sleeves while at a theme park.

Good packaging, although I wish the spray nozzle was more of a continuous spray rather than a pumping spray - it can spray unevenly if pressure isn't applied.

And a warning - close your eyes TIGHTLY when you spray this!! It has a strong minty type of scent that is unpleasant if it gets in eyes.

Overall, I'm a fan - there's nothing quite like it out there!
Juliet B.
Juliet B.
Arlington, MA
Unlike some reviewers, I didn't run in to problems with the pump, in either the 1 oz or 3.4 oz sizes. And I wasn't bothered by the scent, nor did it sting my eyes.
What is did do, however, was what it claimed to. It kept my makeup going longer than expected while I was outdoors, in a six hour rehearsal in full sun, heat and humidity. The spf (reapplied frequently) kept me from burning and my makeup held up better than it would have had I not used the spray.
My only problem is it made the small peach fuzzy hair on my face kind of stand on end. Not a big deal for the casual events I've used it for, but I can imagine it would be weird for an outdoor wedding or something.
Liz G.
Liz G.
Green valley, AZ
I'm so impressed with this product. I'm not a huge setting spray person but I do like this. It dries immediately and it genuinely does mattify your makeup. It blended my powders in perfectly. My issue is after I used it I noticed that I had a white cast on my face. I got closer and noticed this stuff sticks to the little hairs on my face! I lightly patted my face and it went away. I love the way my makeup looks when I use this! And for it having spf in it its not greasy!

UPDATE: 8/23/16 I do not like this! After using it for a few days I noticed it really does leave my face sticky and greasy. I would use this alone as a sunscreen spray. Not with makeup.
Taylor V.
Taylor V.
Iowa City, IA
I think this product is ingenious. I don't know why other brands haven't jumped on this idea! A spray on spf (spf 50 non-the-less) that can be reapplied over makeup throughout the day without ruining it or making it weird? Actually, it's a setting spray-- it actually HELPS your makeup! I love this so much to through in my beach bag or purse every day in the summer. My only downsides would have to be the smell, it can be a little overpowering, and the the fact that the sprayer can get a little weird. I have one that only squirts a stream at my face, but I have another that works beautifully. Those are the only reasons I don't give this five stars!
Liseth S.
Liseth S.
I wear liquid eyeliner and mascara (not waterproof). Will this spray make my eye make up run?
Meaghan C.
Meaghan C.
West Yarmouth , MA
How does this feel on the skin? Is it greasy or does it truly absorb oil? I am looking for a new way to refresh my daily SPF
Elle J.
Elle J.
Does this sting your eyes?
T S.
T S.
If I accidentally sprayed any of this in my hair, would it be easy to fix?
Sheyla M.
Sheyla M.
Doral, FL
Is this really a good setting spray?