BY SUNDAY RILEY #9 in Face Serums

Everyone wants the unmistakable look of having good genes. This amazing pharmaceutical-grade, lactic acid based treatment is an instant complexion booster, plumping fine lines and exfoliating to reveal brighter, newer skin. Licorice reduces hyperpigmentation while lemongrass increases circulation for immediate radiance. Long term use will help restore damaged skin, reduce hyperpigmentation and scars, reduce the depth and number of lines and wrinkles, even out skin tone, and increase epidermal firmness. Great for all skin types. Can be used daily or as a mask.

• Would you recommend this?2 Answers
  • It is a bit pricey, how do you girls rate it and is it worth buying?3 Answers
  • So I'm looking for a face serum that I can use during the day tha...3 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
  • "With that in mind, I knew I wanted to find something to add to my routine to help get rid of those spots and bring forward a clearer and more even complexion." in 1 review
Sarah G.
Scottsdale, AZ
I know that everyone is head over heels for this product, so I purchased a small bottle awhile back to see for myself what the hype was all about. I do see why people love it so much, it does back up its claims with tangible results. Which is quite impressive in a world where skincare products’ claims tend to leave much to be desired. I did find that this treatment was too strong for me to use nightly. My sensitive, combination skin couldn’t handle me using it daily (even when I tried to more gradually build up to using it daily). I think that the PEGs and some other ingredients were just too intense for my skin to handle. And overtime, instead of my skin getting used to Good Genes, it began to tolerate it less. I have no idea why that happened, but my skin has been fussy at times my entire life. So now I use 111 Skin’s Black Celestial Retinol Oil and with its much simpler ingredient list, I am able to use it nightly without any irritation or sensitivity (whereas most retinol products dry out my skin and make it flaky and/or irritated), 111 Skin’s retinol oil causes zero irritation. If you have sensitive, combination skin and want to experience similar effects to Good Genes, then definitely give 111 Skin’s retinol oil a try. It is expensive but it lasts for ages because a few drops is enough for your face, neck, and décolleté. I have been using mine for several months and still have a fair amount of the oil left. ai hope this review helps those that have skin that isn’t able to tolerate this product. Best of luck. x
Melissa S.
Poughkeepsie, NY
So I went into Sephora to ask about a product for sun spots and texture issues. The sales lady showed me this but when I saw the price I just said no sorry can't.  I started to research it and was really kinda bummed I couldn't afford it so my father brought the big bottle for me as a gift for Valentine's day.  I was so excited I started using it every night.  HUGE MISTAKE on my part. I broke out, My skin was red and well angry I was so upset like no i finally get it and it doesn't work for me? I did research and found out there's something where your skin can go nuts getting used to a new product. So I started to use it every other night and wow. It defiantly has helped my texture issues and I believe some of my sun spots it also plumps your skin so well that any bit of wrinkle or line you have is gone it's incredible! You also only need a few pups which is good considering the price.  I would have given it 5 stars had the price been less I mean in reality most of us can't go and spend $200 on one product on a regular basis but if you are one of the lucky people who can then you definitely need to get this!
Cole H.
Whitehouse
I love Good Genes - especially the name, since looking like one of those people who were born with perfect skin is my constant goal. I use it two or three times per week as on overnight serum and don’t put moisturizer on top. My skin looks tighter and brighter when I wake up, and I feel like it prevents my pores from getting too congested. It does tingle a little when you apply it, but I have moderately sensitive skin and I haven’t had any problems. It also takes a little time to get used to the smell, but I personally prefer to avoid fragranced skincare where possible, so I’d rather this slightly odd, chemical smell than an artificial floral one. Ultimately I feel like it makes my complexion brighter and my skin texture smoother, so it’s one of my absolute favorite products – despite the price tag
Frankie E.
Maplewood, MN

I
hate that I love this product. At $105 per oz, this product is
highway robbery. It also works wonders for many skin types, including
my own, which is why I’m torn. Good
Genes should be thought of as an instant or overnight facial in a
bottle, not really a daily-use lactic acid. It
only contains 5% LA
and the
pH level is a low 2.6. The low pH level releases more of the acid to
exfoliate your skin immediately, but it also increases the risk of
irritation. Good Genes contains a ton of temporary brightening and
soothing ingredients that help to counter irritation and give you
instant glow. The first few times I used it I was stunned that I
could exfoliate at night and wake up with skin that was so smooth and
calm. It’s those ingredients that make Good Genes a cult classic.

I’ve had a LOT of success with other lactic acid treatments, but
Good Genes works instantly (I mean, within 8 hours you’ll see a
difference!) It’s what I call “special event” skincare,
something I would use the night before my wedding perhaps. For daily
use, Good Genes is highly unnecessary unless you want perfect skin
24\7.

I am knocking a point off for both the price and
the fact that Good Genes has such a low ph. The lower the ph, the
more likely it is to irritating. I suggest that sensitive skin users
look elsewhere for their lactic acid needs. For everyone else, this
product is amazing, but it should be reserved for special occasions.
shatona s.
Ruston, LA
There is so much to be said about Good Genes! It is the best thing I have ever put on my skin. They call it a serum, but it looks more like a cream or moisturizer. I love the way my skin feels right after I apply it. A little, for me, definitely goes a long way. I bought the Flash Fix kit to try this and the cleanser, and it's been about a month and I'm sure I still have a nice amount left to get me through the next week or so. My skin is so soft and glowing. I'm definitely seeing results as I was expecting this to help with my skin concerns of hyperpigmentation, texture (which was gone within a week btw), appearance, dullness, etc. Good Genes is getting these pores together! It's taking time, but I'm sure if I went through my routine 2x a day I would see my skin change faster. My ONLY issue I had with this is that the smell is terrible, but I will over look that for the quality of Good Genes. This is definitely on the pricier side, but I am going to purchase one of the fuller sizes, or get a kit that has a half ounce size, so that I can try a couple of other things from Sunday Riley's brand. I would definitely recommend this product. I say try the kits out if you don't want to buy the full sizes. I will definitely cash out on Sunday Riley as long as my skin is feeling and looking like it has been!
Sarah B.
White Bear Lake
Like many others I really love this serum. I started out using it in conjunction with Luna, and I have to say that combo proved to be too much for my skin. So if you are planning to use the 2 together, I would strongly advise to start SLOW. Or what I do, 1 at a time, alternating nights and skipping a night here and there in between. I usually do 1 night Luna, next night GG, skip a night, repeat. Some people are totally fine using both or one daily, so experiment with what your skin can handle. Too much exfoliation can cause more trouble than it's worth, on my face at least. All in all, I love GG and would use it on its own without Luna. When I use it as stated it exfoliates a perfect amount and I wake up with plump, vibrant skin, and it helps diminish any acne spots that may have been forming. It's one product I couldn't go without, so IMO it is worth the hefty price.
➵stephanie T.
Doylestown
If I have to give credit to any one product for completely turning my skin around, it’s Good Genes. I dealt with horrible cystic acne and small bumps around my jawline and nothing was working. After introducing this to my skin, not only did my face look brighter and feel softer, but any flaw completely disappeared. I now have 100% clear skin after using this product. It’s my #1 and would rather not eat for a week to keep this in my possession.
tips: slowly introduce acids to your skin. Straight out of the gate without using products of this strength could give your skin a reaction.
I recommend mixing with your moisturizer every other day, then work up to every day, and then finally alone under your moisturizer. Do this over at least one month before using alone and you’ll see and feel a huge difference! Sunday Riley Good Genes Treatment
Liz J.
I would give this more stars if I could! This stuff is seriously magic! It’s definitely expensive but it truly does what it claims. If at first you experience a few blemishes - don’t freak out and stop using, most likely it’s not a true breakout, but rather your skin purging. With consistent and proper use in the first month you’ll be able to see your skin purging all that underground sebum and dirt that’s been clogging your pores, for who knows how long, and causing all those nasty underground cystic acne pimples. After those are gone, you’ll be left with smaller pores and wrinkles as well as all around clearer, smoother, brighter, and tighter skin. However, everyone’s skin is different and there’s always a chance for a product to give you an allergic reaction - you know your skin better than anyone, if you think you’re having an allergic reaction, stop use immediately!
joeny g.
Oakley, CA
Expensive but Effective! Sunday Riley is indefinitely one of the more higher priced skincare brands at Sephora. That being said, the quality on their products is amazing. TheSunday Riley Good Genes Treatment is a lactic acidosis Treatment made to Target blemishes and clear up the skin! This serum is in the $100 range, but also sold in a smaller version in some of their kits. I would give it 5 stsrs if there was just a little bit lower of a price point because although you do get a lot of product, some people can not afford a splurge like this one and you can only get so many samples at your local sephora. This treatment is strong so I would not recommend it to anyone with sensitive skin unless used as a spot treatment, but if you have a little bit thicker skin, this might be the perfect product to end your skin problem days!
Samantha C.
Council Blfs, IA
Bought this during the last VIB sale... I love it. Wish I didnt though because of that cringe worthy price tag. But I have super dry skin, A LOT of texture, flakeyness, sensitive skin, uneven skintone, big pores, blackheads. (yay me right?) Since using this my skin has gotten soooo smooth. Literally no texture. Seriously. None. My skin is just soo soft. After using it one time my skin felt smoother and thats soo annoying because I dont want to buy it again, Im looking for alternatives but so far no luck.... I bought the smaller size and use the luna oil too lasted me 3 months so far and i think i still have like half the bottle left in each so a little goes a long way. I havent noticed any irritation at all. It tingles a little for a minute after applying but nothing bad. If you can afford it, try it, its a game changer.
Claire M.
I have sensitive skin and I don't know if it would upset skin like mine. Has anyone with sensitive skin tried this and how was your experience with it? Will it likely upset my skin (if I pay a lot of money for it)?
Sara A.
Does anyone know if this product reduces the appearance of acne scars? Or even how it works on oily and acne prone skin? I know people who are dry and love this product, but I wanted to hear from my oily people as well.
Katie H.
Philadelphia, PA
I have the Luna oil, and think it's Hands Down the Best hundred dollars I've ever spent. I'm wanting to try more of the Sunday Riley products and I've had my eye on Good Genes for a little while now but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. if anyone has used this for some time now and has, or hasn't seen results Please comment and let me know before I waste good money on a product that doesn't work
Lindsay M.
What differences have people seen in their skin after using this product? Is it worth the price?
Betty L.
I received a deluxe sample on this. I don't know how to describe the scent of this product but it smells yogurt gone bad? How does your bottle smell like?