BY SUN-IN #22 in Hair Color

Sun In?? Lemon Fresh Hair Lightener.
4.7 fl oz (138 ml). see more...

• Does it damage hair? And what results would i expect to get if my...2 Answers
  • Did it dry out anyone's hair, into the frizzy9 Answers
  • does this even work ? does it leave hair patchy?4 Answers
Sun In Hair Lightener Lemon Fresh
  • "When I wasn't doing it that was I would spray it in my hair and put the blow dryer to it to create the same effect as the sun!" in 5 reviews
  • "The product lightens your hair by using acidic compounds similar to the old fashion/ home remedy lemon juice process." in 5 reviews
Melissa  M.
Sugar Land, TX
I have to be very careful when you use the Sun in hair lightning. If you leave it in your hair too long it will damage it and make it dry and sometimes break off. And other times you don't get actually blonde hair from it, it sometimes turns to an orangeish color. Then there's other times that it works spectacularly. You get nice blonde hair. You definitely have to make sure you want highlights to pull up only the section of hair you wanted to be in. Just think of when you go to a salon and get your hair done they only pull up sections 2 color. Same thing applies to the Sun in Lightening. Overall if you can applied like you would have a salon it turns out great. But be sure to do a deep conditioner on it afterwards.
Lauren N.
Chandler, AZ
For reference, I am naturally blond and as I got older my roots started growing in a mousy, "dishwater" blond color, so I started getting my hair highlighted occasionally to make sure the color matched. My eyelashes and eyebrows are both blond. I recommend that only people with naturally blond hair try this product because there's honestly no reason to risk going orange! I don't use Sun-In very frequently, but whenever I do, people notice that my hair is brighter, fresher, and lighter. It works especially well to lighten the color of my highlighted hair, it doesn't lighten my darker roots as well. But this product does not damage or dry out my hair, so its great for a "refresh" between highlights.
Nicole M.
I use sun-in every summer to lighten my dark blond hair. It definitely brings out my natural highlights however after the winter months my hair gets very dark blond so when I use the product my hair turns very orange. Eventually after several uses my hair will turn blond but I have never been fully satisfied with the results. If the product went straight to blond rather than orange first this would get five stars. I recommend using a blow dryer on hot to bring out the highlights faster. DO NOT USE if you have any version of brown hair. It will definitely turn your hair orange. Dark blond to light blond works the best, light blond being the absolute best hair color to start with.
Elfrida Y.
New Hyde Park, NY
This product works great if you're blonde!! I remember when my blonde friend suggested I try this product to lighten my hair in the summer because it worked wonders for her. However, as a brunette, this just turned my hair orange... I KID YOU NOT... my hair had ORANGE streaks!! I had to go to a professional salon to get the color fixed to the nice coppery-red I was trying to go for. For those of you reading and thinking well this product is suppose to highlight your natural highlights... let me tell you, my natural highlights are coppery-red and this product made them appear orange. So suffice it to say, I will not be purchasing this again.
Victoria d.
When I first started using this product, I followed the instructions and my hair got lighter ( i have dark brown hair ). Then I started spraying it on my dry hair and used my straightener on my hair. It was instant! However, this obviously damages my hair so you HAVE TO condition treatment your hair!!!! I use regular olive oil and it always works.
I even dyed my hair back to brown for a while and then redid the process. If you use it on dyed dark hair you might get a reddish tone in your hair, but it allows you to get your hair to a better place if you wanna get salon highlights that won't totally wreck your hair.
Michelle W.
Mcknight, PA
I really like this product. I think it's really good for adding a bit of a summery touch to your hair. I have light brown hair, and I use this occasionally to add a lighter tint. I wouldn't suggest using this if you want your hair to stay cool-toned (as this can give a bit of a warmer tint) and I also wouldn't suggest using it too much as it can damage your hair. However, using it for a few days at the beach or to add a bit of natural highlight is great! I'd definitely recommend it for anyone who wants to make their hair look a little more summery without actually dying your hair.
Natalie A.
This can be really risky to use, so have discretion if considering using this. This works a lot better on natural blondes, not brunettes. With dark brunettes, this tends to turn your hair a little orange. Sometimes it doesn't, but sometimes it does. You just have to be careful, which is why this is a risky way to lighten your hair if you're brunette. My friend tried this and she was a medium-toned brunette, and it did tinge her hair with a copper/orangey color, which she obviously hated because that's not the result she was looking for. So just be careful!
J M.
This is a good inexpensive product for younger people who are afraid to use bleach to lighten their hair. It works best if you have naturally lighter hair such as medium brown to blonde hair.
& As a cosmetologist, I would not recommend using this on dyed/colored hair, it won't lighten already dyed/colored hair properly.
& I used this when I was a teenager with redish brown & blonde hair & it worked amazing & smelled like lemons. Just be careful & use a good conditioner or deep conditioner, because like any hair lightener, it does damage your hair a bit.
Shelby G.
Phoenix, AZ
I found this product through a friend and decided to try it despite my natural brown hair. I work outside and over the past few weeks I have seen a significant difference. I dyed my hair blonde but it never was able to return to the full lightness it was a year ago after dying it brown again. It definitely takes time, but the parts of my hair that were once blonde are returning to the same shade they were before and my brown roots are lightening nicely as well. highly recommend this product because of the ease of use and the cheap price.
Karla G.
Doral, FL
I absolutely love this product despite all the damage it has caused my hair. A little disclaimer, I used it differently than the instructions indicated. I took a blow dryer/hair iron for quick results and loved it. I first used it maybe 8 years ago and a few times after and again a couple of months ago. It does lighten your hair amazingly and with patience, otherwise you'll end up with orange hair (if you had black hair like me). I can only speak on my results and say it's great. I have not used it as the instructions said.
Marissa G.
Medina, OH
Does the coloring look natural? If somebody didn't know better would it look as if you'd spent five times as much time in the sun? or is it clearly from a bottle?
leeza k.
winnipeg, manitoba
Which store could I find this at
Liz M.
Iowa city, IA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Does this work better than lemon juice or just the same?
Brenda P.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I have my hair dyed blonde already will this make it even more blonde ? I hope it does but won't turn it orange
Patricia P.
Chicago Ridge, IL
Did it dry out anyone's hair, into the frizzy