BY STUDIO GHIBLI FILMS #37 in Movies

Studio Ghibli Films
  • "When I got older I looked up more of Hayao Miyazaki's films and watched Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, + My Neighbor Totoro." in 111 reviews
  • "Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, My Neighbour Totoro, and The Secret World of Arietty, to name some of my favourites are all amazing pieces of work." in 81 reviews
  • "From Kiki's delivery service, to My neighbor Totoro, even Spirited away , and many more of course, a brilliant masterpiece, every single one of them!" in 54 reviews
  • "Creatively wise my favorite would be Howl's moving castle and Spirit away but Kiki's delivery service is definitely up there in my favorites." in 49 reviews
  • "I live their films they always have great story lines like princess Mononoke and much others and would definitely recommend watching movies from these guys" in 20 reviews
Lauren M.
Pittsford, NY
The company Studio Ghibli Films, pioneered by Hayao Miyazaki, Yasuyoshi Tokuma, Isao Takahata, and Toshio Suzuki, have been entertaining Japan, and the world, since 1985 - can you believe it? From well-known films like "My Neighbor Totoro," "Howl's Moving Castle," and "Spirited Away" and lesser-known adventures like "Castle in the Sky," "Tales from Earthsea," and "Grave of the Fireflies," these films evoke every emotion in the spectrum: you'll weep, you'll laugh, you'll rant in anger, you'll sigh, and you'll be at peace. They will speak to your humanity, ignite your passions and capture your heart; the characters will excite you, the plots will enthrall you, and the messages will strike you. Open your heart to them - they will not disappoint.
Jennifer S.
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Disney fanatic and always will be. But Disney doesn't even hold a candle to Studio Ghibli. The stories are much more complex, and the visuals are just stunning. I will always prefer hand-drawn animation to anything computer generated no matter what, and I'm glad Studio Ghibli still uses classic animation instead of CGI which is so rare nowadays. The classic works of Miyazaki are always going to be my favorite, but there hasn't been a Studio Ghibli film in general I haven't liked. Literally every single film is excellent. I think my kids are still a little too young to appreciate these, but when they're older I hope to introduce them to these films and I hope they love them as much as I do.
Vanna L.
Colorado Spgs, CO
Pop Culture Expert
Ahh, I absolutely adore Studio Ghibli films! I grew up with Hayao Miyazaki's movies, and they're a huge part of my childhood. I still love to watch them every so often as an adult as well! Miyazaki has made tons of films, but my favorites are definitely Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and The Tale of Princess Kaguya. Definitely give the movies above a chance, they're so worth watching and are all funny, cheerful, heartbreaking...it's an emotional roller coaster watching Studio Ghibli films for me! Highly recommended for all ages.
Katie T.
Council Blfs, IA
Pop Culture Expert
I have been enjoying these magical films since I can remember! The first one I had was Kiki's Delivery Service on VHS (which I still have and watch often!). Every Studio Ghibli Film is whimsical, full of magic and mystery, and for all ages! I love how they have deeper meanings and lessons but they are still so fun and wonderful! I am a nanny and I have never seen kids sit as quietly and mesmerized as when they are watching these films! The animation is just top notch. So in conclusion I would always 100% recommend these films!
Paola Q.
Doral, FL
Studio Ghibli tiene las mejores películas que pude haber visto alguna vez. La mezcla ebtre dibujos animados y la historia que no es precisamente para niños pero lo aparenta, hace que las películas sean especiales. Me encanta como hay un significado oculto en cada una de estas que para comprender tenemos que llegar a cierto grado de madurez en nuestra vida. ¿Recomendación personal? El viaje de Chihiro, El Castillo Ambulante de Howl, La Princesa Mononoke... Eso es por mencionar algunas, pero cada una es digna de ver y apreciar.
Gabriela M.
Pop Culture Expert
I can't get enough Ghibli in my life. If you want to watch deep, meaningful movies sometimes with simple and easy to understand plots (or sometimes complex and intense) this is the studio you should check. Most people that have only watched Spirited Away would think that this is too dense for children, but some of the movies are actually light and fresh, like My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. These are high quality movies with top notch writing that even people that don't usually like anime series can enjoy.
Rikka I.
Pop Culture Expert
I have seen most of the film's by studio ghibli and I loved them all. The stories told these movies are very unique and beautifully illustrated. There have been movies that moved me to tears (graveyard of the fireflies). I think that each movie has a great message to send to the viewer and I do not get tired of these classics. I love the style if the anime, it is so clear and different that when you are it, you know whon is belongs to. I absolutely love it. When the days come that I have children, they will watch it too.
Jessica S.
Pooler, GA
Pop Culture Expert
Studio Ghibli is my favorite ever ! I am working on collecting their films - so far I have 6 of their movies. I have been watching them since I was very very little - like I remember being 5 in my great grandma's basement with my cousins watching these films on the tiny TV set haha The art is amazing, the story lines are perfect, and the characters have such depth to them. I love it. Recently one of the main artists for them passed away and I cried; seriously my favorite. She was a true artist and extremely talented.
Amy P.
Pembroke, NH
Pop Culture Expert
Just amazing. I love these movies, and as a teacher, find that they are so engaging for my students. I tend to use both "Grave of the Fireflies" and "Spirited Away" in my classes... But be warned, Fireflies is amazingly sad and your high school students will cry. My ninth graders are usually confused by Spirited Away, and complain vigorously while watching, but always say that it was their favorite and they know material the best on the department's common final exam.
Edinisa L.
No matter what age you are, you'll enjoy one of Hayao Miyazaki's many films. They're all masterpieces. The animation is great. The music flows with the scenes of the movie. Some people who don't know about the Japanese culture might find the movies a tad strange but I recommend watching any of them because they're too good like Kiki's delivery service. Spirited away is a really big one too but my favorite is howls moving Castle.
Mickensie B.
Burnsville , MN
Which film is your favorite?
Jasmond W.
Arlington, TX
Which movie have you watched over and over?
Emily M.
Plainville, MA
Is Princess Mononoke a Ghibli film?
S Lisseth C.
Guatemala
What movie can not stop seeing more than once?
Laura H.