BY STITCH FIX #61 in Clothing Stores & Brands

Get your own personal stylist. Hand-selected women's fashion shipped free, straight to your door. Try on at home risk-free.

• Are you willing to lose 20 dollars on a stylist fee? 10 Answers
  • Stitch Fix Who loves a good fix?2 Answers
  • Do any other Influensters use stitch fix? Or trunk club? ...5 Answers
Lori P.
Saint Louis, MO
I signed up for a one-off box because I’ve had a couple coworkers try this (man and a woman) and I love the clothes they’ve gotten.

I explained that I don’t like to show my arms, I love jegging jeans because of my body type, and that I prefer affordable, casual clothes.

They have you take a comprehensive size and style quiz, input your social media, and write a note to your stylist. This part is super fun.

You’re charged a $20 styling fee. If you keep anything, this fee goes towards that item. If you don’t, you’re only out $20. If you decide to keep your whole box, you get the $20, plus 25% off your total. For my box, had I kept it all, it would have been $157. Which honestly isn’t that bad. Had I loved everything, I wouldn’t have hesitated to buy it all. However, since I was having to pick individuals, things were a bit higher than I prefer. (They do have free shipping, free returns-they include an envelope and label, AND free size exchanges).

My box, while all of the clothes were very high quality and beautiful, they just weren’t me. I received three sleeveless tops that were a more for professional wear, a pair of jegging material Bermuda shorts, and a paisley maxi skirt.

I skipped trying on the skirt because it was hideous- it was almost $70 and it looked like it was straight off of Amazon or Walmart.com. The Bermuda shorts were actually cute and comfortable, but the length didn’t look right on me. The tops were all cute, but one didn’t fit and the others were just too expensive. I was surprised at how well the fit was on the majority of the box, though.

I would say two of the five items were exactly my style, but like I said, not casual enough. Two other items were something I could see myself wearing and I appreciated that the stylist tried to get me out of a comfort zone. The final item (the maxi skirt) was so off-base, I was shocked.

They sent a follow up email for me to rate the box I received. I gave my feedback and almost immediately heard back from a customer service representative. I had kept one of the items so that I didn’t lose $20, but explained that their pricing sheet was a bit confusing and I didn’t realize which top it was and thought it was far cheaper than it actually was (but that’s on me for not reaching out to clarify).

They sent me a new shipping label to send that item back for a full refund, and then comped me another box so I could try them again for no styling fee. My second box is upcoming. I did clean up my Pinterest, because my stylist used that as inspiration and some of my pins are nearly a decade old. Needless to say, my style has changed since college.

The packaging it comes in is cute and fun, it’s like a present. Also, there’s a daily mini style quiz to help your stylist get to know you. I log in every day just to do this because it’s so fun.

Overall, the box was cool, but I’m not sure I’ll pay for it again. It all depends on this second box. I would recommend that people try it if they’re thinking about it. They could find some stuff they love, or they may just be out $20. It’s worth a try.

I think I’m going to try Dia&Co, because they specialize in plus sized clothing and may do a better job.
Rhonda M.
I am one of convenience. I am fond of ordering clothing online and having it shipped to my doorstep. I love the pickup lines at Walmart and target now. I order what I want I drive out and they load my car. I can stay in my comfy joggers and ponytail. I’m all about new and improved solutions for shopping. This service STITCH FIX has the ability to be great but ISN’T. First of all this is a subscription service for clothing. You fill out a criteria questionnaire about yourself and your shopping habits. You instruct them where you shop the most and your likes/dislikes. You are then asked for your social media so that they can sign into your accounts and see how you dress normally. (This was weird to me) but because I don’t have any secrets on my social media I allowed it. You set the preference of about how much money you would like to spend. Your stylist charges a standard $20 fee each month to style you. If you end up purchasing your products you get the $20 back. They send you five items a month. It is clothing mixed in with jewelry, shoes, and accessories. You are allowed to return everything as they enclose a return envelop for your convenience or you are also allowed to keep the items you like. Remembering that if you keep all five of the items you get 20% off the total. Now, months 1-5 it was totally hit and miss. There was never a complete box of items that I found I wanted to keep all five pieces. I felt maybe my stylists wasn’t paying attention to my profile I had built with her and something was confusing. I was changed to two other stylists. Still no one got me. If I said I didn’t really like red clothes or dresses that much what do you think I was sent ? Yeah! A red dress not once but three times. They were all different and by different designers but still I got sent three (3) red dresses. I have been with them now for seven months. I have managed to keep 8 items from the seven months. Mostly jewelry items. And to be honest I really liked the pieces but still found them very expensive. I have sent in my cancellation and hopefully there won’t be any problems. The customer service when called or emailed seems really nice and cooperative but I can’t help but feel something is wrong here. Communication doesn’t transfer to whom ever is making up my packages. I’ve put a lot of effort into making sure my friends at Stitch Fix know what I like. I keep my style profile up-to-date, I send them notes on printerest boards and etc. It doesn’t help much if they don’t read it or pay attention to it. I have created a list for you all if you choose to try this service. As for me I’m bailing out. Even when they send jeans to me they are always at the $88 price point. Target has some distressed denim high waisted mom jeans for $20. They are great the brand is “ wild fable”.

Tips for Getting Better Stitch Fixes:

Create a Pinterest Board & pin all types of clothing you like – But stick primarily to what you actually need. I also started pinning samples of wardrobe capsules, making notes in the pin about what I needed or liked best.
Be VERY specific in your style profile. If you are a hippy at heart, say so. If you like dramatic or glamorous, let them know. These are perfect strangers trying to pick out clothes for you.
If you like the way a specific famous person dresses, or an outfit you saw online, put it in the notes section of your profile.
If you need something specific, ask for it. Don’t be afraid to ask for certain colors, sizes, etc…
Leave specific feedback on each of the items you keep & return – even if it’s negative. Hopefully they’ll listen & start to understand your style better as time goes on.
If you get the wrong size or find a flaw in one of the pieces, ask for an exchange.
If you get a bad fix, reach out to them and see if they will apply your $20 style fee to another fix. No guarantees, but I’ve found them to be pretty patient with my past frustrations – even reaching out to me on several occasions trying to make it right.
If you like your fix, ask for that same stylist again by name. The more you use the same stylist, the better they get to know you & your style.
It’s not for everyone and it’s not for me. You may love it. Good Luck!
Jillian M.
Two stars because of inconsistency. In case you don’t know what this is, you fill out a lengthy survey about your sizes and what kinds of styles you like and a stylist chooses 5 items for you. There’s a $20 styling fee that will go towards anything you decide to keep. Keep the whole box and it’s 25% off. So I have had really bad luck with this service. It seems like the stylists only sometimes actually read your survey or check out your Pinterest board. The last box I ordered, I sent everything back. It either didn’t fit around my chest or the style was just SO far from anything I would ever wear. I have a VERY detailed Pinterest board that gets ignored completely. Also, this stuff is EXPENSIVE and the quality isn’t always there. I’ve been sent a lot of sheer, flimsy blouses that fall apart and sweaters that pill after the first wash. If you hate to shop or can’t get out to shop, this is very convenient. Provided you are sent things that you might actually wear. I’ve quit this for good after my last box.
Mary C.
Pueblo West, CO
Loved the idea of this and was super excited to get my first box for free , 5 items chosen for me!  Well I got and wow was I just underwhelmed. I even had written notes for my stylist that I needed a new maxi dress and that I'm a Hairstylist so things need to be appropriate for work but also comfy and fun. All I got was black and white and grey and just like old lady options! I'm 28 but covered in tattooes and wear brightly colored hair, I'm definitely not boring like the options I got. Need Les to say. The only thing u sort of likes was the Maxi dress but it was $48 and just didn't wow me. Will be sending everything back, and has to be within 3 days of receiving otherwise I assume they charge you for all of the items. You do get a discount if you purchase everything in your box. A card comes with the pricing on the items and a description. They want you to leave reviews on the box and items on the webpage.
Christy M.
I recently signed up for a bimonthly subscription. The concept is likable but it does take some time in my opinion for your stylist to get to know you. My 1st box was a huge flop and I sent everything back. My 2nd box I was so excited because I received a pair of jeans and I had heard lots of hype about the fabulous denim. And true to the hype, they are amazing but everything else went back. Box 3 was just so-so but I did keep one denim jacket. I promised myself I would give it 4 boxes and if I didnt absolutely fall in love I would cancel. Box 4 will be arriving soon so I'm anxiously awaiting. This is perfect for busy executives or moms who just dont have time to shop or those who dont enjoy shopping! (Gasp) Quality of the products is pretty good, sometimes I question whether the cost is appropriate for certain items but all in all, I am enjoying the service.
Angel R.
Bay City
I love the setvice, and thr clothes. I gelt however, that the stylist only took a little look at my Pinterest board, before styling me. She said that she saw a lot of yellow on my board so therefore sent me a lemon yellow sweater, but had she looked harder she would have seen that I put notes that I like this style of the sweaters but not necessarily the color. Overall oh, I like the service and FYI I kept the yellow sweater.
Erin H.
Davenport, FL
I joined Stitchfix about a year and a half ago. I was looking for cute clothing and accessories that were tailored to my tastes and would be shipped directly to me. Unfortunately after three or four boxes and multiple stylist I was left frustrated and unsatisfied. The items I received were ill-fitting, mostly polyester, over-priced and didn’t fit my aesthetic at all. Stylists reached out but were not helpful and I continued to receive items I would never wear! In the end I cancelled the subscription because I was losing money and receiving ugly clothes that were way too expensive.
Emily L.
Jacksonville
I've been a Stitch Fix customer for months now and I can confidently say I've loved every box I've received! It's so easy to set up your style profile and communicate with your stylist if you have a trip or special occasion coming up. I also love that it's easy to adjust how often you want to receive a box and when you want to receive it. I highly recommend giving it a try if you haven't yet!
Alana C.
Groveport, OH
Fashionista Expert Level 1
This is a great subscription! So you get your own personal stylist and you give them all your measurements and basically tell them kinda your style so they'll send stuff out for you to try and then you buy or don't buy the clothes they send. Most of the time you'll get at least one thing you like and that fits okay (but paying for it is another question.. It can get real expensive!!). If you're hating everything, you can get a new stylist tell your stylist you hate it lol but sometimes it includes more hits than misses. If you're really looking to build up your closet and don't mind maybe being disappointed in some things then go for it lol I really like the idea of it though
Ashley B.
Lake Hopatcong
I started using stitch fix about a month ago and my second box came today! The quality is amazing, and the clothes are cute! My friends and I are all doing it and we’ve only got one article of clothing that was the same! It’s so easy and the stylists really picked stuff I love! They also making sending stuff back so easy! I love it!!!!
Beth L.
Feeding Hills, MA
Are you willing to lose 20 dollars on a stylist fee?
Lori A.
Cullman, AL
What if you hate the outfits or they don't fit?
Amanda L.
Etters, PA
What is the average cost of the one piece of garment that they send? I have been looking at this to improve my work style since I'll be moving from a satellite office to the HQ of where I work. Has anyone purchased any professional or work type clothing from them?
Ashlen M.
Louisville, KY
Fashionista Expert Level 3
I am curious about some of the various prices people have paid for items. I got on the site today to look at it and it said that most of their price points start at around $50 (which seems crazy high to me). Is it worth it? How is the quality of the items? What sorts of brands have you gotten?
Sarah C.
New Albany, IN
I tried this for almost a year and never felt like the fixes were personalized to me. I never liked more than one item and a couple of times I didn't keep any. I'm not picky. Any suggestions on how to ensure it's more personalized next time?