Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (Paperback) uploaded by Ariel G.Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (Paperback) uploaded by Shana S.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (Paperback)

An oddly compelling, often hilarious forensic exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem. For two thousand years, cadavers some willingly, some unwittingly have been involved in science's boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. They've tested France's first guillotines, ridden the NASA Space Shuttle, been crucified in a Parisian laboratory to test the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin, and helped solve the mystery of TWA Flight 800. For every new surgical procedure, from heart transplants to gender reassignment surgery, cadavers have been there alongside surgeons, making history in their quiet way. In this fascinating, ennobling account, Mary Roach visits the good deeds of cadavers over the centuries from the anatomy labs and human-sourced pharmacies of medieval and nineteenth-century Europe to a human decay research facility in Tennessee, to a plastic surgery practice lab, to a Scandinavian funeral directors' conference on human composting. In her droll, inimitable voice, Roach tells the engrossing story of our bodies when we are no longer with them. 13 b/w illustrations. see more...

Buy on Walmart*
Jessica R.
Marenisco, MI
I read this book mostly out of pure curiosity and wow did I regret it. It was gross and horrifying reading about what they did to corpses after death. The book wasn't a bad price on my iBook app. Informative but disturbing.
Misty S.
Gastonia, NC
I adore Mary Roach. When I grow up, I want to be her research partner. This is a clever book about cadavers and everything that goes along with that. A delightful read when you're feeling a bit macabre.
Shana S.
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very interesting to learn about what can happen to a corpse once it has been donated for organ removal, etc.
Ariel G.
Fair Grove, MO
My all-time favorite book!! I was glued to this book for months! It's so interesting and there are so many thing you never thought about when it comes what a body does after death. There was a chapter or two that drug on for what seemed like forever but other than that I loved it!
Omo I.
East Lansing, MI
I had to read this book for school to write a research paper on a topic I found interesting in the book. It's very interesting to read about what happens to the bodies of the people who donate themselves to science and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in this type of science. The author is funny at time, but at other times it kind of drones on.