BY STERLING INTRNTL RESCUE

RESCUE!(R) W.H.Y Trap The RESCUE!(R) W.H.Y Trap catches 7 species of paper wasps, bald-faced hornets and European hornets; and 12 species of yellow jackets. The W.H.Y Trap has a top chamber and a bottom chamber. The top chamber is baited with two attractants - one of which is a solid contained in a vial, and the other a liquid mixed with water. The bottom chamber is baited with a liquid attractant poured onto a cotton pad. Wasps, hornets and yellowjackets have two ways to enter: either through the top cap, or through the holes in the bottom cap. Once inside the trap, the insects cannot fly out and die either by drowning (top chamber) or dehydration (bottom chamber). Features: Non-toxic; no killing agents First and only trap to capture Paper Wasps, Bald-faced Hornets and European Hornets Two-week attractant kit included, refill available No extra food bait required Catches queens in spring before they build nests Catches workers from summer through fall Double-chambered design prevents insects from escaping Durable construction holds up for multiple seasons Attractant will not lure beneficial honeybees Made in the U.S.A. Item Specifications: Directions for use: The RESCUE!(R) W.H.Y Trap can be used outdoors wherever there is a paper wasp, hornet or yellowjacket problem. We recommend the trap be placed at least 20 feet away from an outdoor activity area, such as a patio or deck. Generally speaking, the W.H.Y Trap will capture more paper wasps near a house structure, and more hornets and yellowjackets near a natural setting of bushes and trees. It can be highly effective to place multiple traps around the perimeter of a yard or area where insects are entering. The trap should also be placed at least 20 feet away from a known yellowjacket nest. The RESCUE!(R) W.H.Y Trap can be used in early spring when the queen paper wasps, hornets and yellowjackets emerge from overwintering to look for new nest sites. It can also be used throughout the summer and fall to capture foraging wasp, hornet and yellowjacket workers. Warning: Keep out of reach of children and pets. For Product Label and MSDS Sheet, please click on Manufacturers Information to the right. see more...

• How well does this work? What is their price range?2 Answers
Alissa D.
Lagrange, IN
The WHY Trap in itself in an excellent contraption. It's sort of hour-glass shaped, with sections on both the top and the bottom for trapping an assortment of stinging pests. While most traps are designed specifically for yellow jackets, the WHY Trap (and its refills) is designed for multiple breeds of wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets.

The first time we tried it, my husband had gotten into a yellow jacket nest and was stung multiple times. We put the trap close to the nest, and we were shocked to see how many yellow jackets became trapped inside within the next couple of weeks. It got rid of the entire nest! It also got rid of the wasps that had been enjoying the holly bushes near our front door, making my son much happier.

We got a few other pleasant surprises. 1) The attractant actually works longer than the two weeks mentioned on packaging. We only have to change it about one a month. 2) It also seems to attract spiders, grasshoppers, and beetles, as we've found these inside, as well. 3) It's easy to work with and built to last. We accidentally left ours hanging outside last winter. When the polar vortex resulted in a freeze, the water inside our trap froze, too. It had filled all the way to the top due to the snow, and the weight made the bottom part fall to the concrete below, while the top to the trap remained hanging with an ice block in the shape of the top part of the trap. We discovered that the trap was free of any damage, and we were able to reuse it once the ice melted and the weather warmed up.
Felicia B.
Fort Collins, CO
We love this! We have a lavender bush and so we get tons of wasps which are terrible for our little toddler out back playing. Ever since we got this, we've been having less problems, and it has caught a lot of these evil suckers.
Traci S.
Mine Hill, NJ
This works if you want to spend money. At work we have a terrible wasp problem and we cut a soda bottle in half, inverted the top, and filled the bottom with orange soda...much better and cheaper
Carol-Ann T.
Buckfield , ME
I am grateful for this product! I was stung two days in a row by wasps this past summer, and I discovered that I am now allergic! This is actually a true LIFESAVER!
Victoria S.
Covington, LA
Honestly, it's not my favorite trap, but if you're in a pinch while camping and need something cheap - I'd say go for it!
Katy A.
Doral, FL
First, a disclaimer - I am not an entomologist. However, having spent my life in Texas, and being a beekeeper, I do know a few things about wasps and bees. If you are going to trap something, know what you are trying to trap. If you are trying to trap vegetarians (cows, honeybees, solitary bees, carpenter bees, bumblebees, etc), this is not your trap. If you want carnivores (yellow jackets, paper wasps), then this is your trap. I've attached a picture as an example - the one on the left is a yellow jacket (southern, to be specific), the fellow on the right is a honeybee (Italian) trying to fend of the wasp on the left.

Had an issue the other day, when the yellow jackets ran out of food in the local neighborhood and came after my beehive looking for lunch. The ladies did a great job defending the hive, but I thought I would help by hanging a trap. Day 1, had quite a few dead yellow jackets floating in the top bait. No takers for the bottom bait, but that is ok. I've learned and seen enough prior to this cold snap to know that I will have these traps out in the spring (for queens and early workers) and fall (for the really large number of hungry workers). Hoping the cold snap keeps them at bay and hurts their numbers, but I'll use the traps as another control device (both as a preventative and a detective control).

This is not rocket science, but do read the instructions. 3 types of bait (to cover multiple species of wasps) but it does NOT attract bees. Follow these instructions precisely, handle the bait carefully (indoors, otherwise you'll have to deal with wasps while preparing the trap), and hang it outdoors but not next to the hive. I placed mine next to a pond where they go for a drink. Wash your hands thoroughly before hanging the trap (unless you wish to draw the wasps to you). Good luck, and good hunting.
Marie G.
How well does this work? What is their price range?