BY STARBUCKS #36 in Single-Serve Cups & Pods

Full-bodied with a smooth mouthfeel and lingering herbal flavors. Stands up well to savory foods.

Like the lush Indonesian island of its origin, this spicy coffee stands alone. Full-bodied with a smooth mouthfeel, lingering flavors of dried herbs and fresh earth, and almost no acidity. Our roasters love transforming these unpredictable beans from dark coral green to tiger-orange to a rich, oily mahogany, revealing bold flavors that many of us can’t live without. Coffee from Sumatra is the foundation of our most treasured blends, and something we’ve been honored to share with you for four decades.

Buy on Amazon
  • "I love dark roast coffee, and starbucks Sumatra it's my favorite right now , more caffeine and more flavor" in 2 reviews
  • "I normally don't buy Starbucks, I just don't prefer it, but I've bought the Sumatra several times, it is a bit pricey compared to the other K Cups but will buy 2 boxes when the local grocery store has a sale." in 1 review
  • "Even though the flavor is string it's not at all bitter." in 1 review
  • "I'm a big fan of Starbucks dark coffees, this is one of my favorite K-cups." in 1 review
Mandy E.
My FAVORITE FAVORITE COFFEE!! i am obsessed with Sumatra. Starbucks is my fav and i love alot of their flavors but Sumatra is by far my favorite. Its string and bold and has a slight nutty spice i love. I brew it on strong on top of its already strong flavor and its perfect(my husband doesnt like it brewed strong though so its a taste preference i guess.) But it is definitely my go to coffee-usually two or three cups a day! So good!!
Melissa R.
Pasadena , CA
This coffee is really strong and rich. So if that’s what you’re into then you’ll love this. I personally like softer choices and even then I soften it more up with flavored creamer. But u can taste lots of depth and richness in this one. It’s just got too much of a strong taste for me.
karinmlong L.
Cincinnati
As a coffee loyalist, I have tried every grocery store k cup in the coffee aisle, and can attest that for a dark, rich cup of coffee this is the way to go. The quality is excellent—I’ve never gotten coffee grounds in my cup of coffee—and the taste is true coffee house caliber.
Nikki V.
This is my absolute favorite coffee. In fact, I only buy other Starbucks coffees when I can’t find the Sumatra anywhere. It’s bold, flavorful, and most importantly, strong! I’d recommend this to anyone who likes good strong coffee!
Taylor G.
London, OH
I like this coffee quit a bit when I'm in need of a good pick me up. I would have to say that it is on of Starbucks more bitter coffees. I like to add a splash of coconut milk and that helps with the bitterness.
Jocelyn L.
Los Angeles, CA
I was a barista at Starbucks for 4 years and Sumatra was always my favorite. To this day I continue to purchase this roast. I drink my coffee black and I love the smooth dark richness of the Sumatra roast. It's not bitter dark like the French roast but it isn't smooth enough to be considered a medium roast. Plus there isn't much citrus notes in it, its sweet and earthy and pairs well with any pastry.
Janeigne N.
I like another Brand of coffee but it doesn't come in the k-cup so I got this but it's too strong tasting. I'm going to buy the reusable filter so I can use my own brand. Wish I had known about that before ordering.
Jennifer S.
Keller, TX
I love these Starbucks Sumatra Coffee K-Cup varieties! They are usually more affordable then the regular K-Cup coffees. The Sumatra flavor is one of my favorites, it has a very bold flavor and the perfect kick for my morning jump start! I can have Starbucks coffee every morning now!  STARBUCKS® Sumatra Earthy & Herbal K-Cups® Pods
Vicki C.
Suwanee, GA
I really like the taste of this coffee. It is more of a bolder taste which I prefer. Also like the convenience and ease of using these pods. Great for on the go and when you only need one cup. One of my favorites have been using for years. It is reasonably priced and can be found just about everywhere. I would recommend.
Tyleen S.
Clarkston, GA
I like my coffee deep and so does my mom. She is not big on name brands, but one time this one was on sale and she fell in love. She gets whole beans and grinds them herself so she loves dark coffee. I don’t put sugar in my coffee- cream only so this flavor gives it a rich tone with not the acidic tinge you usually have with dark coffees
Laura S.
San Diego, CA
Does it have a strong bitter taste?
Kaley A.
What would you compare its flavor to? Is it a dark roast or what?
M C.
I always purchase Sumatra coffee beans to grind....how do the kcups taste compare to fresh brew..I'm considering buying a coffee maker for kcups