BY SPIRIT AIRLINES #19 in Airlines

• I have Heard absolute horror stories about this brand is it true? 10 Answers
  • This airline is the worst. Their tickets are cheaply simply to lu...7 Answers
  • Would you say this airline is better or on par with Frontier? Nev...2 Answers
Spirit Airlines
  • "Please save your money and invest a little more money with another airline, I just lose an enormous amount of money with this company, they have the worst customer service, today I lost my flight along with around 15 more people because they did not want to let us in, our flight departed at 6:09 and we were in line for about 50 minutes and they just would not let us catch our flight, they had a customer complaining that they lost his luggage and he was getting married the next day, he had been complaining for three days and had no answer on where his luggage was, they didn't give him a credit towards a flight or any other kind of compensation..." in 14 reviews
  • "The seats were so uncomfortable and there was barely any leg room (for a three hour flight it was so annoying sitting in those seat I just wanted to get out already)." in 13 reviews
  • "I had a layover in Vegas, and the flight attendant was very rude and was no help in letting me know if I had enough time to grab a quick bite...I know that's not her job..but still." in 10 reviews
  • "Yes, seats are smaller and don't recline as much, you don't get any amenities, they charge for everything, and only take credit cards." in 7 reviews
  • "My flight was delayed 2 hours and then I happened to lose my boarding pass on the way to the gate, and they were going to charge me like $10 to re-print it." in 7 reviews
Francesca M.
Pompano Beach, FL
Globetrotter Expert
I recently made a vow with my boyfriend, whom I travel with often, that we will NEVER again fly with Spirit. Every single time I ever flown with them, they completely screwed up the beginning of my trip or made it practically impossible to g Spirit Airlines et home.

The most infamous and unforgettable stories I have about Spirit Airlines is when I flew home from Denver, CO to Fort Lauderdale, FL. Unfortunately, right when we were supposed to descend and land home, the pilot was told he couldn't land because of the heavy fog. So, he turned us around and flew us to Fort Myers Airport, (over a two hour car ride away from where I lived). They told us they couldn't fly us back to Fort Lauderdale because Spirit doesn't typically fly out of Fort Myers Airport. On top of that, they didn't give us any information on how we were supposed to get back home for about an hour. I finally lost it. I was traveling alone on a red eye flight and wanted nothing more than to be home, so I bursted into tears. I didn't know where my luggage was or how I was supposed to get home. This sweet girl that I never met, who was also on my flight offered to rent a car and take me home because she lived close to me. I asked the Spirit staff member what the plan was supposed to be and she said they MIGHT get a Greyhound bus for us. So, I turned back to the girl that offered me a ride, I gave her gas money, and I took a 2 hour roadtrip with a complete stranger.

Spirit then sent me an email with a measly $50 voucher on my next flight that I book with them. A few months later I attempted to use that voucher and was told that the voucher EXPIRED! >:(

Spirit Airlines is a SCAM! They cheat people and they're the cheapest, most terrible quality airlines I've ever flown with! I will never recommend this company.
Jennifer P.
Minneapolis, MN
I am very very very dissatisfied with this company!  I arrived an hour and 15 minutes before my flight.  Their policy says you must be there 1 hour before.  When I arrived at the desk, the girl working closed the flight as i was standing there trying to check in.  This resulted in my having to purchase another flight (costing me $100 on top of what I had already paid for my flight and baggage fees, which she told me were nonrefundable even though she made the mistake).  the only flight they offered included flying me over 1,000 miles out of the way (from philli to Atlanta).  When I arrived in Atlanta they cancelled the connecting flight.   I was told I would get a hotel room for the night.  I am disabled, and this airline made me stand for over 5 hours for a voucher.  I was able to get another flight through a different airline when they realized I have seizures and would be a liability, however, even though they offered to refund my baggage, this was never done.  I also had to pay baggage fees on the other airline to get home (14 hours late, 10 hours after I was supposed to have taken my medication).  I will never fly this airline again!  Their way of "making it up" was to give me a credit worth less than 1/8 what I paid for this flight that was supposed to be 3 hours total.  Save your money, use Delta!  After Spirit is done nickle and diming you, and for all of the hastle, you save more with them, have more professional staff (spirit "managers" literally walked away as I was speaking with them... 3 times!!)... plus with Delta I got home when I was supposed to!  Never using Spirit again!
Elissa E.
Freehold, NJ
If all you care about is price, then Spirit is a winner. But if you prefer comfort and ease while traveling, Spirit is not for you. Nearly all of my flights with Spirit have been delayed by an hour or more, the seats are barely padded and do not recline, there is very limited leg space, and all the added fees are annoying. I know it's their marketing scheme to have "bare" prices, then you add everything you want on top, but some times that full price ends up being more than another airline that just told me up front what the full price was without wasting my time. I will say that there are some times that their prices are unbeatable and my stingy self will take the crap to get the deal.
Savannah R.
What shall I say? I had heard that I shouldn't fly with Spirit, but the one flight I took with them was a round trip flight from Chicago to California and back. I had no problem getting to California for my cousin's wedding. The flight was cheaper than the others too, and I didn't need to take luggage (they have bag fees), so I lucked out. However, on the way back home, we were supposed to stop in Las Vegas for 3 hours. The flight that was supposed to pick us up in LA was delayed 6 hours, so many of the passengers and myself missed our connecting flights. When we were leaving LA, the attendants told us that the workers in Las Vegas would help us re-connect. When we arrived in Las Vegas, they said we should have taken care of our flight situations in LA. Eventually, after a lot of fuss, they put us up in a hotel and gave us a meal voucher. I didn't have to be back home by any specific time, so I was okay, but the whole process was very frustrating.
Candace H.
Foothill Rnch, CA
Dear God. The only reason they even get a single star is because i arrived at my destination alive. What a horrendous airline! Your fare is strictly to transport you from one place ticket another. EVERYTHING COSTS MONEY. A bottle of water is $3!!!! Beyond that, the seats are like sitting in the sidewalk, zero entertainment, every snack or beverage costs money and carry on AND check luggage costs money. To be honest, the fare wasn’t even significantly cheaper than other airlines to merit the awful trip. The only reason l flew spirit was because lt was he only airline that flew direct to my destination. Never again.
Jennifer S.
Wadsworth, OH
  Is the worst. I've flown with them 2 times and both experiences were awful. Even if other flights are 4x more expensive, it will be worth it to not deal with the hassle and bad attitudes of their service staff. The first time I flew, they told me my neck pillow was considered a carry on item and it would be $50 to bring it on the plane with me. REALLY?!?!  The second time I flew with them my assistant booked the flight and I didn't realize it was on Spirit. After going through 11 - ELEVEN - flight delays and holding us hostage all day in the airport because it was their only flight out and they couldn't book us on a flight with another airline who had flights leaving constantly - they finally canceled the flight after there were no other flights out from anyone. They herded everyone back to the check in booth, made everyone wait in line for another 15 minutes, then announced that the next flight out was in 2 days - TWO DAYS!!! No refund, no compensation, no hotel comps, not even an apology. People were understandably very upset and the only solution was "if you don't like it you can book another flight from someone else".
Tiffany R.
I hate Spirit airlines! You know that saying "you get what you pay for" well this is like, you get less than you pay for. It is a cheaper airline, but after my experience, I would highly recommend everyone to pay a little extra for a decent flight. I will never fly spirit airline again! They made me pay $50 to check in a small bag, that was less than the required size for the free small item and they didn't make other people check their bags or pay for a carry on. I know because I saw their bag and it was like mine but larger. You can never talk to anyone when you call. The staff was rude and inexperienced, there and back. The entire ride, I was scared out of my mind. I have flown with Delta, Southwest, Frontier and one other airline (don't remember the name) and I have never had such a bad experience. I was not expecting anything great from this airline because it was cheap, but I always feel like a companies customer service should always be on point. We also got delayed three times in one night, which can happen with any airline, but on top of everything that happened, my flight getting delayed just really irritated me. I will never fly this airline and I would never recommend!
Lisa G.
Harvey
If I could give this airline 1 1/2 stars, I would only do that because I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I flew southwest four times, and that was too much. My favorite part is landing safely because everything else is not enjoyable. I love to fly, and I had the worst experience flying spirit to the point I was concerned for my safety. The killer part was that spirit airlines was not trying to do anything to accommodate me after they inconvenienced me and canceled my flight home from a vacation. It took me three days to get home after the unprofessionalism of spirit airlines employees. It would have to longer, but I decided to buy a ticket on another airline to ensure I could get home after bouncing flying from one airport to the next on spirit. When they say base flight, they genuinely mean base flight I mean they might charge you to breathe on this airline. I tried, and there was only one time I had a successful trip with no problems besides the man's knees behind me in my back the whole 3 1/2 hr flight, and I was more concerned about him then I was my back.
Jenise L.
Hackensack , NJ
OMG terrible. I guess you get what you pay for. I had booked a flight for my 26th birthday this year and our returning flight from VEGAS to NEWARK NJ was with Spirit. This was booked in February and our trip was in September. First & last time, never again.
They change our itinerary about a couple weeks prior to the trip throwing off all our schedules. My flight was pushed back a whole day. COME THE DAY OF THE FLIGHT WAS DELAYED TILL 1:30 AM! The seats were super super uncomfortable. Leg room always an iffy for planes in general, but this was ridiculous. Honestly, they called us the DAY OF our flight to notify us it was being delayed even more and we've been downgrading to a smaller jet which turned out to be the most uncomfortable flight ever, from VEGAS to FLORIDA then FLORIDA to NEWARK. IF I HAD KNOW THAT I'D RUN INTO SUCH COMPLICATIONS I would just flown with a different airline. They ended giving us a $50.00 voucher for our next flight with them, honestly, I won't even use it.  Spirit Airlines
Karlie G.
Victoria, TX
Spirit Airlines was our go-to airline for a while because they were cheap and basic with no added extras for a higher rate. My husband is a left leg amputee and needed some extra leg room so we booked a seat with extra leg room. We didn't think it would be a problem that it was the emergency row. We were forced to sit in another seat after the plane was fully boarded in front of everyone. I did not feel that it was handled professionally. We will be flying with other airlines in the future.
Marissa V.
Has anyone enjoyed their flights?
Melissa S.
Racine, WI
How many had flight delays through spirit?
Tiffany M.
Globetrotter Expert
I've never flown on this airline. Is the low cost worth what sounds like a bare boned flight?
Donna M.
Indianapolis, IN
Globetrotter Expert
Would anyone recommend spirit as a low-budget flight? Do the extra fees make it as expensive as the airlines like Southwest, Delta, etc...? Has anyone used frontier/allegient and how does Spirit stack up to them?
margarita c.
What is your must have item while traveling?