BY SPIRIT AIRLINES #19 in Airlines

• I have Heard absolute horror stories about this brand is it true? 10 Answers
  • This airline is the worst. Their tickets are cheaply simply to lu...7 Answers
  • Would you say this airline is better or on par with Frontier? Nev...2 Answers
Spirit Airlines
  • "Please save your money and invest a little more money with another airline, I just lose an enormous amount of money with this company, they have the worst customer service, today I lost my flight along with around 15 more people because they did not want to let us in, our flight departed at 6:09 and we were in line for about 50 minutes and they just would not let us catch our flight, they had a customer complaining that they lost his luggage and he was getting married the next day, he had been complaining for three days and had no answer on where his luggage was, they didn't give him a credit towards a flight or any other kind of compensation..." in 14 reviews
  • "The seats were so uncomfortable and there was barely any leg room (for a three hour flight it was so annoying sitting in those seat I just wanted to get out already)." in 13 reviews
  • "I had a layover in Vegas, and the flight attendant was very rude and was no help in letting me know if I had enough time to grab a quick bite...I know that's not her job..but still." in 10 reviews
  • "My flight was delayed 2 hours and then I happened to lose my boarding pass on the way to the gate, and they were going to charge me like $10 to re-print it." in 7 reviews
  • "Yes, seats are smaller and don't recline as much, you don't get any amenities, they charge for everything, and only take credit cards." in 7 reviews
Jessika A.
My experience with Spirit was the literal worst. My family and I were on a flight from Cancun to Florida that was delayed (due to fault of the airline, not weather) getting to our connecting flight to Baltimore. Spirit promised that we’d be on another flight within a few hours. 5 hours later, and that flight was cancelled (for no reason) and we ended up spending the entire night in the airport in Florida waiting for a flight the next morning. That flight to Baltimore the next morning was the most turbulence I’ve ever experienced and the plane was freezing the entire time (3 hours). During this mess of a process, all of our luggage ended up getting lost and somehow got on a flight to Baltimore that we couldn’t even get on, which makes absolutely zero sense. Once we finally got to Baltimore it was a PROCESS finding our luggage since it was in holding/lost and found from not being claimed the night before because we couldn’t get on that flight. We were shuffled around from place to place in the airport for the better part of two hours trying to track our luggage down. And of course with this entire fiasco, the employees and Spirit Airlines themselves were rude, absolutely no help and offered no compensation for their fault of a situation. I’d advise everyone to stay away.
Eliza J.
Ok So I was extremely skeptical to fly with Spirit after purchasing my tickets then reading reviews. Honestly I had a GREAT experience both ways. It's a great airline that gets you on/off fast, and is very convenient for those who just need to get from point a to b without the frills - which is what makes them such a great deal. It's when people start to add things like baggage or get choosy over their seats, that fees start to stack up and they get frustrated. But that's the whole point of Spirit - minimalism, quick, simple. I did realize that we deboarded the fastest I'd ever gotten off before, largely due to the fact that carry-ons are limited in number and therefore people just breeze on through.
Also, I wanted to note that the staff was pleasant and there was humor put into it all, which made things much more light-hearted and enjoyable.

Tip: there is no complimentary drink service so bring an empty water bottle with you and fill it up at the water fountains at the airport! And always bring snacks with you :)

Would I travel with them again? Absolutely! :)
Dalia V.
New York, New York
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
I planned a trip to see family and was purchased a ticket on this airline. I never made it onto the plane. When I arrived at the airport the man talking to me might as well have had a cattle prod with the way he yelled at me before I could even ask a question. Then when I got to the check in the woman was so rude and spoke to me in a way that I can only describe as uneducated. I did not feel safe flying up to 30,000 ft up in the air with employees that aren’t properly trained. They treated me, my sister, and others like cattle and have no manager to answer to.. or so they say. I walked over to the Delta kiosk and booked myself on the next flight to Miami. Delta provided me with a proper flying experience.. Which I have every right to expect. Shame on Airlines treating people like that. Avoid spirit like the plague.. unless you’re ok with being shuffled around like a cow, and being spoken to like you just wandered into a neighborhood where someone may mug you.
Morgan L.
Fargo
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
I would not recommend this airline! I flew to New Orleans and my flight got cancelled in Atlanta. Not only did the flight attendants fail to inform us but kept stating the flight was delayed twice they failed to provide customer service with entirely informing us last minute that the flight was cancelled. I received a email 20 minutes prior to the flight crew scrambling to come up with an answer to flyers as why we were being deceived and our plane was taking so long to arrive! I find it really shady that spirit claims the cheapest flight deals but charges you upteen fees from seats, to carry not even a free carry on its $50 both ways, and makes you pay for beverages/food in flight. I left Atlanta with strangers and drove 6 hours to New Orleans bc they refused to give us a flight until 3 days later when my vacation was already over! Only offered a $25 meal ticket, half my ticket to be compensated and a hotel for one night! I was left in the dust...
Kajsa L.
Rockport, MA
if i could give spirit airlines 0 stars i would. i have taken spirit on two separate occasions. the first wasnt anything to remember. the plane was small and you are really squished in. we got to our destination on time which was nice. the second trip was a total nightmare. not only did the customer service agents my boyfriend and i spoke to have no explaination on why our plane was cancelles but they wouldnt get us on another flight until 5 days from the day we were supposed to go back home. after 2 days of constant callimg corporate head quarters we were offered free drinks and food on the "next time we fly with them".. which obviously would be never. no thank you spirit airlines. it might look cheaper in the beginning of planning a trip, but it isnt worth it. the add ons like luggage and even a purse are extra charges. spend the extra 100-200 for jet blue or another airline.
Divinity B.
Washington
I traveled alone with my 3 kids and it was the worst experience ever. My flight was delayed repeatedly delayed by 45 min to 1 hour to 3 hours. I ended up in the airport for 8 hours! To make matters worse, they canceled the flight, I had to go all the way out of the airport to the counter to book another flight, stood in line for an hour and wasn't able to get on a flight till the next day. I had to go home and then come back to the airport and do it all over again the next day.

While we were there they gave everyone a $10 voucher for food, which is nothing in an airport. I got a credit for the inconvenience but it expired in 30 days and could only be used in the travelers names.

I don't care how cheap their flights are. I will never fly Spirit again. Worse airline and customer service ever!
Sarah L.
Everett , WA
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
If your on a budget and looking for a cheap flight this is the airline, although the seating is made to fit masses. So your cramped. Even in the areas where you pay for more leg room, unless your in the 50 dollar seats. The flights are cheap but the charge for everything so it can add up quickly. I recently booked a trip for my brother and his wife to Seattle it was a non stop which is great, from Ft lauderdale and the total including seats each was was 500 for two tickets. So if you don’t mind giving up a little comfort to save on cash I would use them. I do for small trips or quick weekend trips where you’d rather use the money you saved for something else to do on that trip.
Sharon T.
Spirit is awful. Most of their employees are, too. More than often, Spirit will be on the top of the list when searching for the cheapest flights to anywhere in the US or surrounding countries, but don't be fooled. There are tons of setbacks and even if you do everything right to abide by their ridiculous rules, there are things that will happen that are just out of your control. I've only flown with Spirit from NYC to Chicago on two trips and the last trip really put me over the edge when they cancelled my flight back home and I had to endure some pretty nasty attitude from my fellow passengers when I was being helped by the staff. Some of the passengers are just as terrible as the airline itself because it does bring the worst spirits out of people. Do yourself a favor and just shell out the extra few bucks for a bigger, reputable airline. I promise you won't be sorry for not saving those few bucks. The seats are unbelievably tight with no recline (this, coming from a 4'11" petite chick with short legs) and they give me the worst neck pains. If you're in no rush and don't have ANY standards for flying and are okay with fitting everything in a small backpack, bringing your own water and snacks, you will be fine on this airline. Otherwise, I strongly discourage anyone from flying with them.
Erica Ⓥ.
Portland, OR
Spirit airlines is the ‘teenage blogger’ of the airline world. They have everything set up a’la carte and offer a $9 fare club which is $60. The actual only benefit of the club appears to be a discount on the add-on cost for adding a bag (including carry on bag fee!). I regret signing up for the $9 fare club however the flights are a little more modern, fun, and much cleaner/newer than many other airlines. They’ve also focused on better customer service and invested in more new planes. They have also given free flights to people in recent natural disasters and are a newly compassionate brand. I will probably fly again If I can find a competitively priced flight which hasn’t happened in recent months.
Meghan C.
Glendale, CA
*Mainly use to travel from LAX to Columbus or Cleveland. The cost of flights gets 5/5 stars. The comfort level gets 1/5 lol. You basically are sitting on top of each other and the seats don’t recline. I try to take red eye flights so i just sleep regardless and don’t notice. But if you’re awake and have a long flight you’re going to be pretty miserable. Nothing is included, so you pay extra for carry ons, checked luggage and in flight snacks and drinks. You do get one free personal item and i usually use a backpack or small duffle bag which essentially is a carry-on just slightly smaller. But if i can fly across country for $110 I’ll put up with anything!
Marissa V.
Has anyone enjoyed their flights?
Melissa S.
Racine, WI
How many had flight delays through spirit?
Tiffany M.
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
I've never flown on this airline. Is the low cost worth what sounds like a bare boned flight?
Donna M.
Indianapolis, IN
Globetrotter Expert Level 3
Would anyone recommend spirit as a low-budget flight? Do the extra fees make it as expensive as the airlines like Southwest, Delta, etc...? Has anyone used frontier/allegient and how does Spirit stack up to them?
margarita c.
What is your must have item while traveling?