BY SPECIAL OLYMPICS #6 in Philanthropy & Volunteering

• I love seeing local news coverage on these events---it's such a hea...3 Answers
  • How can I volunteer to help with this?3 Answers
  • How does someone get involved with this organization? 5 Answers
Reviews (1902)
  • "I believe this is a great organization because special needs persons can be left out alot of times, I don't think that's fair." in 22 reviews
  • "My cousin participates in the Special Olympics every year and I very much enjoy watching the joy and the smile on his face as well as everyone else involved!" in 16 reviews
  • "I'm a senior in highschool and I'm fortunate that my town hosts the Special Olympics for elementary to high school age Olympians and it's a wonderful event." in 11 reviews
  • "Volunteers are always nice, participants are always friendly, and watching the athletes experience so much joy and have so much fun brings a smile to even the grumpiest persons' face." in 9 reviews
  • "Ive worked with these people before, and its a reallly great experience that helps you realize that you can still strive and reach your goals no matter what hurdles you may have to go over, or what obstacles lay in your wait." in 7 reviews
Ashley L.
Ashley L.
ELIZABETHTOWN, KY
I've worked with the local Special Olympics organization in my state on a few fundraisers and they do incredible work! From a gala recognizing athletes across the state, to campus and city plunge events spread throughout several regions, they go above and beyond to make sure that they are doing what they can to secure the funds for their athletes. As for the athletes, dozens of local athletes and their families submitted stories to the project I was working on and they were amazing. Some talked about what a great opportunity it was, other discussed a sense of community, and more often than not they discussed how SO had become a huge part of their life and family, a place where they never had to worry about being judged. Some of the athletes had only been involved for a few years, but several had been involved for decades! Truly a great organization!
Malanie M.
Malanie M.
Crown City , OH
I am so thankful and happy there is such an organization for kids that need it. My daughter had a stroke in utero. So she was born with mild cerebral palsy. She faces challenges every single day. Whether it's using her left hand that suffered nerve damaged from the stroke, to her learning disabilities from the stroke. It's also not easy for her socially because she's 13 years old and most kids just doesn't don't see her for the great friend she is. It breaks my heart into pieces! She does have a few, but it's very hard for her. Her class got to participate in the special olympics and she got to go and cheer them on. She couldn't participate herself because she's in softball & volleyball at school. How2she still had a great time watching & cheering on her classmates. So, I am so glad this organization exists! ☺
Deb H.
Deb H.
Sargent, NE
When my children were little, I had the opportunity to help my (then) husband coach a special Olympics softball team. He was a police officer and his department had sponsored a team for years. Coaching those amazing people was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. My children got involved and it quickly became a family project. Watching an individual who is very introverted and terrified of the softball become a high-fiving, bat swinging team player athlete in just a few weeks made my heart swell with pride! Watching the team members and my children hugging and laughing after practices was priceless. I feel I came away from the experience a much better person. I highly recommend volunteering to literally EVERYONE!
Danielle W.
Danielle W.
I have been volunteering for Special Olympics for the past five years. I have volunteered at the Spring Games that is put on at my university. I have also volunteered at a Special Olympics Pageant. Every event I leave with a huge smile on my face and my heart full of joy. The athletes work so hard and enjoy every moment of their special day. This organization gives people the opportunity to achieve anything that they set their mind too. It is such a rewarding and positive atmosphere which is why I always find time to volunteer with this amazing organization. I will always tell anyone I meet about this organization because it has only brought me joy and endless memories.
Katy m.
Katy m.
Ashburn , GA
This is an organization I'm a very proud supporter of I love that it brings awareness of this to people that may not have any understanding of all people just want to be loved and excepted and have opportunities in this life and I think everybody deserves that and that's what this program is really getting to. It gives them something to be excited about something to work for and something to just have fun with friends and be surrounded by people who love them I can honestly say volunteering at the Special Olympics and working with those kids was one of the best experiences of my life and something always strive to do again
Lyss W.
Lyss W.
Gillette, WY
I believe this is an amazing origination! I grew up with a friend who was born with Cerebral palsy, and I'll never be able to tell you how excited he gets when the Special Olympics come around. It's like Christmas to him and he waits all year for it. Special Olympics give these special people the feeling that they are amazing, they CAN do it, they can be apart of an amazing event. It gives them so much happiest inside. I am TRUELY grateful for my friend, and TRUELY grateful for an organization like this who makes my friend feel unstoppable. It's an amazing experience, it really is. Thank you! ❤️
Hannah L.
Hannah L.
Special Olympics is a great organization! My boyfriend and I both work in special education and we first got involved because we were supporting our students at our local Special Olympics track meet qualifier. Recently, we raised money for our states branch of the Special Olympics; we registered for a Spartan Race and chose the option to "Race for a Reason" and created a fundraiser for this organization. Our family and friends supported us through supporting and donating to this wonderful organization. We ran our race for all of those we support and love in this special community.
Colleen E.
Colleen E.
Ellicott City, MD
I am a Service Coordinator for Individuals with Disabilities. Many of my clients have joined Special Olympics. There are so many activities such as Volleyball, Bowling, Swimming, Basketball, Flag Football, Equestrian, Soccer, and Softball. They even sponsor local dances. It is a free organization. It allows our individuals the opportunity to make friends, learn to communicate, compete, and work on skills that can help them be more independent . This is a great organization. I find the individuals who participate generally enjoy their life and make long lasting friendships .
Sarah T.
Sarah T.
Belmont, MA
I've been working with individuals with special needs for more than 14 years now as a coach for bowling and now bocce. It's an experience that teaches me new things of these wonderful people and how all should be treated well in society. Special Olympics is an organization that helps make this happen where these special and wonderful people are able to engage their skills, build upon them and achieve athletically to enable a more healthful lifestyle successfully. I recommend others to become involved because it's amazing to see how much it is appreciated.
Katherine Christine K.
Katherine Christine K.
Cape May Ch, NJ
Some outstanding colleagues who are generally very approachable. Incredible mission, opportunities to engage with and volunteer with the local chapter(s). Inexpensive healthcare, great, central location. CEO is outstanding: kind, genuine, caring, frugal and is invested in appropriately stewarding all constituents including staff, donors, volunteers, wish families and just people that are curious about the organization. He is very involved and takes a lot of time simply to thank people and sincerely learn about their interests, passions and motivations.
Stacy M.
Stacy M.
Do you know anyone who has participated or volunteered first hand?
Sarah A.
Sarah A.
Sedro Woolley, WA
I have always heard about this, where could I find a local event?
Elizabeth F.
Elizabeth F.
Louisville, KY
Do they have this in every state?
Kate T.
Kate T.
Who do I need to get ahold of so I can volunteer
Tauri K.
Tauri K.
Ashtabula, OH
Have any of you been to one of these events? If so, I would recommend it!