BY SOUTHWEST AIRLINES #1 in Airlines

Traveling with Southwest Airlines is even more convenient with our mobile app. So, whether you’re on the go traveling to that next big meeting or just on the couch daydreaming about a vacation, Southwest mobile gives you access to what you need. Features include: • Check in, book, change, or cancel air reservations • View your upcoming flight’s status, boarding position, and gate information from the home page • Access your Mobile boarding pass • Book or cancel rental car reservations • Check flight status and setup text notifications • Add EarlyBird Check-In® to an existing reservation • Enroll in and access your Rapid Rewards account • View travel and weather alerts • Access helpful airport information see more...

• When is the best time to book with Southwest for the best deals?5 Answers
  • If you had a free ticket to anywhere- where would you be headed?!18 Answers
  • Which do you think is the better value, buying Business Select ti...7 Answers
Southwest Airlines
  • "They're my favourite airline, from the great customer service agents and pilots, to the somewhat humorous flight attendants, as well as being seated based on your check-in time and the ability to have free check luggage, what is not to love. " in 189 reviews
  • "There has never been a time where I have even considered flying anyone else and if I have an issue their customer service is amazing and they help me out. " in 176 reviews
  • "I enjoy that I can still get 2 checked bags for free and that they still offer peanuts/pretzels along with beverage service!" in 123 reviews
  • "I have always found great fares online when booked in advance and with 2 free checked bags per person its a great deal Don't expect meals or in flight entertainment, but nothing your own ipad/book/phone couldn't fix." in 81 reviews
  • "Look for flights that aren't booked full if possible, and make sure you either buy Early Bird Check-in or check in online 24 hours in advance." in 48 reviews
Kelly M.
Celebration, FL
I’ve flown Southwest a lot over the past ten years. They’re always the first airline I do a price check for when starting to book a trip due to how affordable they are, the service from the flight attendants, and the availability of direct flights from Orlando to Buffalo. I was impacted by Hurricane Irma this year and felt that they were incredibly accommodating to those of us impacted with that, even holding my flight in Orlando to wait for a flight that was delayed out of Fort Lauderdale since that was the last flight out of Florida that would fit all of those passengers. Slightly annoyed I’d be late arriving in Buffalo (the hanger was real), but understood the gravity of the situation. I had some comp drink coupons (I’m a rapid rewards card member) and the flight attendant didn’t even take the coupons and just gave us the drinks for free due to the delay. Wasn’t expecting that! The only downside (and I don’t mark them down for this because it’s always how they’ve operated) is that they don’t do preassigned seats. Not a big problem, except if you don’t get boarding group A, and you’re headed to or from Orlando. Do you know how many people take their kids to Disney World? A LOT. They do family boarding after group A, so if you’re traveling with a lot of people, or even a few and you want to get seats together, you’re basically screwed. But you can always upgrade to the early bird check in and get into boarding group A to get around that. I’m usually flying by myself so it’s okay, but something to consider if you’re in a group.
Manuela S.
Vallejo, CA
Back in June, I flew Southwest roundtrip from SFO in California to MHT in New Hampshire for a university event. This was the first time I had flown in years, and the first time I had flown cross country since I was a child. I had a great experience, the gate attendants, and the flight attendants were all wonderful and friendly, and the flights weren't too bad. I know that there are a lot of horror stories and bad experiences out there with this, and really any airline, but I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Some tips for future flyers:
1.) Always, always check in as early as you can. The earlier you check in the sooner you will board the plane and you'll be able to get a decent seat. I completely forgot about this on my flight to NH and I was at the end of Group C on my flight from SFO to Chicago (layover) and the middle of Group C from Chicago to MHT (this flight was only partially full). I checked in as soon as I got the email for my return flights and I was in Group B from MHT to LAX and Group A from LAX to SFO.
2.) When I flew, if a family was flying with small children, they were called to the front and were allowed to pre-board before everyone else. I don't know if this is done at all airports, but it's something to check.
3.) When you're shopping around for tickets (or anything online really), clear your cookies/browser history or use an incognito window to shop, that way the prices will be lower. Using a regular window without clearing your cookies or browsing history makes prices show higher. Also, and I don't know how true this is, but I've been told it by several people that the best day to buy is Tuesday Don't know why, but it's what I've been told.
4.) If you have a reusable water bottle be sure to bring it. It has to be empty when you go through security, but you can fill it up once you go through and it's really handy to have on the plane.
5.) This one is fairly obvious, but don't forget to bring something for you to do on the plane; especially if you're on a longer flight and you know you won't sleep, or in case you just can't. You can only look through the manuals and magazines so many times.
6.) On the off chance you lose your boarding pass before you board, you can go to the desk and ask for a new one, or you can bring up the email and there should be an electronic boarding pass in it for you to use.
Tami M.
Florida
I grew up in Southwest. It was the family go to. Now that I'm an adult and have to pick my own options, I understand why my parents always went Southwest.

Huge Plus: no additional fees for bags.
They know you're flying with a suitcase. They're not charging you an extra fee on top of the ticket price. Tg for that.

Drawback: no reserved seating.
I get why this is important for people. It sucks that you have to wait in line an hour or two before boarding time just to make sure you might get the seat you want BUT if you're like me, and you only care about being on the plane, then who cares. I've sat in the back before and enjoyed plenty of extra snacks just because.

Still one of my favorite airlines. #SouthwestLover #FrequentFlyer #Travel
Amanda T.
Last flight we took for a family trip to Disney was upsetting. We paid a fee for each ticket for early boarding but at the gate we’re informed that even though we had purchased early boarding for each of the 11 tickets to allow us to sit together, our tickets except for one did not have early boarding on them. When we asked why we would be charged for this if we don’t get what we paid for they explained that there’s a limited number of tickets available for early boarding. We understood this but still don’t understand if we didn’t have the early boarding how they could charge us for it on each of our tickets. We called the day after the flight to ask for the money for the early boarding to be refunded but we were told no. The kicker of it all is that while waiting At the airport the airline had announced that there were still tickets available for early boarding if anyone on the flight was willing to pay the fee to allow for early boarding that they should go to the desk: but yet when the tickets began to be called and we were told we weren’t able to early board they stated it was because they only offer a limited number of travelers to early board. We had gone online the day the early boarding option was available at the exact time it opened up to sign up for it and pay for it. The whole thing doesn’t make sense and is very expensive for 11 people’s tickets to not get what we paid for.
Kristina C.
Lake Mary
Globetrotter Expert
I had some hiccups when I first booked my flight because I was traveling with a pet. However once I found the correct representative to speak to she was an amazing help and even supplied me with a voucher for my troubles.
When I flew everyone was a great help, especially during check in. Southwest is unique in that you don't get an assigned seat, you get a boarding group and pick any available seat. There are pros and cons to this, which you guess. But if you get an earlier enough group you should be good. I only paid an additional $15 to board earlier so i was able to get a great seat.
Katie R.
Sanford, FL
I have to say I am a fan of Southwest! I appreciate that they are one of the few companies that still includes free checked bags which I have found really simplifies the ticket purchasing process and I don’t feel as if I’m being price gouged at checkout. I have frequently found that Southwest’s ticket prices are comparable to some “budget” airlines after you pay for all the “extras” which are services Southwest already includes. Plus, I continually receive great service when flying with Southwest. Now you may be wondering why I knocked the one star and that has to do with the fact that every time I fly with them, I log on at the exact time they open for checkin and I still wind up with one of the last boarding groups and numbers. When I travel alone it doesn’t bother me but when I travel with family it becomes an annoyance because we can’t find seats together. I know this is a price you pay with Southwest but I don’t understand how we wind up
at the end of the line when we checkin so early! I will say, I have found the flight attendants to be very accommodating with trying to find seats for families with small children.
Katie A.
West Fork, AR
Cancelled our flight out of Mexico for mechanical issues. No replacement plane was sent (2 hour flight from their American hub) instead, we had to try to rebook, which was interesting since we were out of the country and could get anyone to help reroute us. We were told another flight would be available in the next week, which is not something you want to hear when you’re in a foreign country with no place to stay. The four of us each ended up missing an extra day of work, and we paid for two hotel stays that we still haven’t been reimbursed for and instead of taking two planes home, we took FIVE. The only reason I didn’t give a lower rating is because of the customer service agent in DFW. We finally got to Dallas after two days and went straight to customer service. We only needed one more plane to get home to Tulsa. She took such great care of us and didn’t treat us like an inconvenience. She got us on standby for the early flight and then guaranteed tickets for the later flight. We were able to make it on the first flight and got home in decent time. THANK YOU To that customer service agent, I wish I remembered her name.
Jessica R.
Lakewood, CA
I have flown southwest for many many years, multiple times a year and will never fly any other airline. I mean, for the amazing prices and deals you can get, I don't see why anyone wouldn't! Especially because you can check two bags and a carry on! Its also open seating with complimentary drinks and snacks so I definitely believe you're getting beyond what you pay for. I will always be grateful for Southwest Airlines for helping my sisters and I be able to fly across the states back and forth to our parents who split up and moved apart. We had very little money to do anything but southwest was always helpful and helped us to get deals that no other airline would give us. There was one point where one of my suitcases was left on the plane after I got off and was sent to another state. I didn't receive my luggage until the next day but southwest was very apologetic and did everything they could to get it back to me as quick as possible. They gave me a $50 credit off of my next flight so that was very nice of them. I will always continue flying southwest and trust them in my travels.
Sushma S.
Anderson, IN
I absolutely love Southwest Airlines. They are competitively and reasonable priced, and I’ve often found them to be cheaper than other commercial airlines. They have a very generous, and transparent, bag check in/carry on policy and limits compared to other airlines. Their flexible travel policies and vouchers for changes flights make travel easy and less stressful compared to other airlines as well. I wish they services more cities, and unfortunately I’m not always able to choose southwest. But given the option I would choose them over any other airline.
Shannon S.
Normal, IL
Globetrotter Expert
I wold get them more than 5 stars if I could! I travel for work so I am constantly flying every week & they see beyond the best company to fly with! 2 free checked bags, often let you check a bag at the gate, pretzels & peanuts & drinks on every flight for free! They are always so nice and will to accommodate your needs! You can always cancel their flights and rebook so easily which comes in handy when traveling for work! I can go on and on!
Having the credit card is also SO great! I use those points to fly when I'm not working & they add up so quickly!
Jackie B.
I have a love/hate relationship with Southwest's open seating process. How do others feel about it?
Melissa B.
Colorado Spgs, CO
Anyone else with children hate that we are boarded last? I find it irritating that I have to squeeze through with a car seat, a baby in one arm and my diaper bag hitting everyone on the way through the aisle. This isn't only a problem on southwest, but on every airline that I have flown with.
Rose M.
El Dorado Spg, MO
Techie Expert
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THAT NOW THAT THEY ARE KNOWN FOR FREE BAGS, THE COST FOR FLYS HAS INCREASED?
Tara F.
Wilmington, DE
How many people love Southwest?
Megan M.
Germantown, MD
Where is the best place you've flown on Southwest?