BY SOUTHWEST AIRLINES #1 in Airlines

Traveling with Southwest Airlines is even more convenient with our mobile app. So, whether you’re on the go traveling to that next big meeting or just on the couch daydreaming about a vacation, Southwest mobile gives you access to what you need. Features include: • Check in, book, change, or cancel air reservations • View your upcoming flight’s status, boarding position, and gate information from the home page • Access your Mobile boarding pass • Book or cancel rental car reservations • Check flight status and setup text notifications • Add EarlyBird Check-In® to an existing reservation • Enroll in and access your Rapid Rewards account • View travel and weather alerts • Access helpful airport information see more...

• When is the best time to book with Southwest for the best deals?6 Answers
  • If you had a free ticket to anywhere- where would you be headed?!19 Answers
  • I have never flown in an air plane but want to some day.. Do I ge...7 Answers
Southwest Airlines
  • "They're my favourite airline, from the great customer service agents and pilots, to the somewhat humorous flight attendants, as well as being seated based on your check-in time and the ability to have free check luggage, what is not to love. " in 189 reviews
  • "There has never been a time where I have even considered flying anyone else and if I have an issue their customer service is amazing and they help me out. " in 176 reviews
  • "I enjoy that I can still get 2 checked bags for free and that they still offer peanuts/pretzels along with beverage service!" in 123 reviews
  • "I have always found great fares online when booked in advance and with 2 free checked bags per person its a great deal Don't expect meals or in flight entertainment, but nothing your own ipad/book/phone couldn't fix." in 81 reviews
  • "Look for flights that aren't booked full if possible, and make sure you either buy Early Bird Check-in or check in online 24 hours in advance." in 48 reviews
Kelly M.
Celebration, FL
I’ve flown Southwest a lot over the past ten years. They’re always the first airline I do a price check for when starting to book a trip due to how affordable they are, the service from the flight attendants, and the availability of direct flights from Orlando to Buffalo. I was impacted by Hurricane Irma this year and felt that they were incredibly accommodating to those of us impacted with that, even holding my flight in Orlando to wait for a flight that was delayed out of Fort Lauderdale since that was the last flight out of Florida that would fit all of those passengers. Slightly annoyed I’d be late arriving in Buffalo (the hanger was real), but understood the gravity of the situation. I had some comp drink coupons (I’m a rapid rewards card member) and the flight attendant didn’t even take the coupons and just gave us the drinks for free due to the delay. Wasn’t expecting that! The only downside (and I don’t mark them down for this because it’s always how they’ve operated) is that they don’t do preassigned seats. Not a big problem, except if you don’t get boarding group A, and you’re headed to or from Orlando. Do you know how many people take their kids to Disney World? A LOT. They do family boarding after group A, so if you’re traveling with a lot of people, or even a few and you want to get seats together, you’re basically screwed. But you can always upgrade to the early bird check in and get into boarding group A to get around that. I’m usually flying by myself so it’s okay, but something to consider if you’re in a group.
Becky P.
Kearns, UT
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Southwest Airlines is very reasonably priced. We have never had any bad customer service in any area. We have had pilots call in sick, an airplane mechanical issue, overlays, bumpy rides but none of it was from the airlines actually. They took care of us each and every time. They were always pleasant and comforting. I love the wanna get away prices and flights. The only complaint is make the seats a little larger and more leg room please. This is for every airline. My husband is very tall and me a little wider. It’s very uncomfortable for both of us to sit in these little seats with no leg room especially if someone leans back. Also if I ask for a seat belt extender don’t make a big deal. I’ve had surgery across my stomach and scar tissue build up. It hurts to clip that seat belt so tight right where the scar is. Usually southwest is the best about the seat belt extenders. I want to be comfortable and safe. We try to sit in the front row because there’s more leg room for my husband. Also help people with the new check in system on the computer. Not everyone knows what they are doing on these and they change all the time. Some elderly people don’t get these at all. I always want to help them.
Karen C.
Canby , OR
Any time we need to fly I always stat with Southwest Airlines. Not only are their prices the best out there but all of their employees are amazing! From the time I check my luggage at the curb, to checking in for our flight and the entire staff on the plane, you are in amazing hands of very friendly (and most of the time, funny) people. They always want to make it right for you.

And guess what, you also get to bring not ONE but TWO bags to check in for FREE! In this day and age of being charged for everything, not having to worry about paying for my luggage is such a great bonus. It means we have more money to spend on our trips. The planes are great, you get free sodas and coffee as well as snacks and can get wifi for extra if you’d like.

The one downfall is not being able to select your seat but we always pay the extra money for early bird checkin so we’re towards the front of the line to board and select our seats. Southwest always seems to be on time too and I’ve yet to have a delay with them. Unless we’re going somewhere Southwest doesn’t fly to, I wouldn’t dream of flying on another airline.

Sara H.
Northridge, CA
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Southwest Airlines has some of the best employees of ANY airline I've ever had. They make it extremely clear that the customer is their priority!

Once, I was boarding a Southwest flight, and there were more individuals that needed Handicap assistance than usual, which naturally pushed back the boarding process. The PILOT got off of the plane to come be of assistance and help speed up the process. They all go above and beyond to make sure everyone is having an enjoyable experience.

Something I love about Southwest (which many wealthier people may not like) is how everyone is equal on the plane. As long as you check in right around the 24 hour mark, you'll get a good boarding number, and therefore have the ability to choose the seat you want (window, aisle, or middle). There are no seat assignments prior to boarding - only your boarding number. Once you're on the plane, you can choose where you'd like to sit. It's a very INCLUSIVE process, and gives customers the power to choose!

Southwest typically has some of the cheaper flights, but what's amazing about them, is they let you check TWO FREE BAGS! Yes, you heard that right, TWO FREE BAGS! They also let you cancel and change your flights like you're trading monopoly money. They're incredibly flexible with your booking and changing around your flights. Sometimes you may need to pay the difference, but other than that, you can move things around if something comes up for whatever reason.

Moreover, I think Southwest Airlines is pretty spectacular.
Ali C.
Phoenix, AZ
We’ve been flying southwest for quite a while and fly them whenever possible. Their customer service is always friendly and I never have any issues as a young person who needs disability assistance or pre-boarding. I know that this can be a nightmare with other airlines. I also enjoy that you can still check two bags for free when you fly with Southwest. If you’re planning a trip far enough in advance it’s easy to find a cheap fare or even change your fare to a cheaper one. Changing flights is always easy and there’s never any change fees. When other airlines are charging for everything this is fantastic. We also have the Southwest credit card so we fly on points frequently. This is also an extremely easy process and I never feel frustrated when booking with Southwest. Yes, sometimes hiccups happen, like delays, but those things happen and you can’t fault the airlines for bad weather and maintenance issues. I think it’s easy to say we’ll fly Southwest for a long time.
Angela D.
Whenever I can I try to fly southwest because it's one of the cheaper airlines that is pretty good. I like that I get 2 free bags, and the seats are pretty comfy. A downfall is they usually only fly to smaller airports, so you might have to go out of your way if you're flying to a city that has 2 airports.
I also like that I can pick my seats once I get on the plane and don't have to worry about it beforehand. If you don't like middle seats make sure you check in as soon as you're able to or you're going to have to sit in the middle. I forgot to check in once and checked in ~6/7 hours late and I was one of the last boarders. I don't mind middle seats, so I didn't care too much. But keep in mind the sooner you check in the better.
They used to be really about overbooking flights, which was a huge downfall. They have gotten a lot better recently though! I will continue to fly Southwest as long as their prices stay the same.
Lauren B.
Miramar, FL
My absolute HOLY grail airline. I love this airline so much. They have never let me down and I am a rapids reward member. I use them just about every single time I fly anywhere. Never had a delayed flight. My boyfriend and I are long distance and we have decided to ONLY use this airline. We used them for our most recent trip to Colorado and it seems like they always arrive earlier than expected, not complaining at all! Only thing I wish is that some of the points you earn could be worth the same amount that you’d have to pay for a higher priced flight. For example, if a flight costs $250 but to use your points you need 23,000.. you should earn 23,000 points when you buy it instead of only like 2,300.
Vasavi K.
Beaumont, TX
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Absolutely Southwest Airlines deserves 5 stars! What is there not to love about southwest?! First of all, there are always good deals with southwest online. The rewards system is awesome too. Everyone gets their first TWO checked luggage items free!!!! Who does that!! Some airlines make you pay for even your first item of checked luggage! And NO other airline covers you for your first 2 items!! Also I love how even if you buy your ticket under the cheapest “wanna get away” price meaning it’s non refundable, you can STILL cancel the flight and use the credit towards another southwest flight. No other airline I know does that either or makes that whole process that easy! Also, southwest employees seem to be nicer in my opinion, even over the phone. And you never really hear about drama with Southwest Airlines in the news compared to other airlines
Ashley S.
Sacramento, CA
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
I love traveling with Southwest Airlines!! They are accommodating, great customer service, comfortable and make the entire process of flying easy & enjoyable. They provide an in flight beverage and snack (either peanuts or pretzels) and give you a free checked bag and carry on. Their points system is great as well. I highly suggest signing up for points even if you don’t anticipate flying much because who knows, you may end up using it and getting free flights.
They often have specials for cheap flights and they have a “Wanna Get Away” price that is just as good as the more expensive options they offer. The difference I think is just that you choose your seat after those who have paid for priority seating. Seating is all first come first served on the plane though so checking in asap is a must if you want to sit anywhere specific.
Vidhi A.
Southwest is my favorite airline. First of all I love how they don’t have baggage fees! Second, I love not having a seating chart and not paying for seats. If you don’t know their model, you basically buy your ticket and you get allotted a position number. At time of boarding everyone lines up in order of their position and enter the plane and sit wherever they want. For $12.50 early bird price you can get in line early if you like a particular seat and want to make sure it’s not taken or if you are traveling with family as it assures that everyone will be in line back to back to sit next to each other. Paying $12.50 is a lot better than paying $30 for a seat along with baggage fees. Or the hassle of waiting for check-in time to find a seat online. So I am a frequent Southwest flyer and will continue to be.
Jackie B.
I have a love/hate relationship with Southwest's open seating process. How do others feel about it?
Melissa B.
Colorado Spgs, CO
Anyone else with children hate that we are boarded last? I find it irritating that I have to squeeze through with a car seat, a baby in one arm and my diaper bag hitting everyone on the way through the aisle. This isn't only a problem on southwest, but on every airline that I have flown with.
Rose M.
El Dorado Spg, MO
Techie Expert Level 2
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THAT NOW THAT THEY ARE KNOWN FOR FREE BAGS, THE COST FOR FLYS HAS INCREASED?
Megan M.
Germantown, MD
Where is the best place you've flown on Southwest?
Tara F.
Wilmington, DE
How many people love Southwest?