BY SOUTHWEST AIRLINES #1 in Airlines

Traveling with Southwest Airlines is even more convenient with our mobile app. So, whether you’re on the go traveling to that next big meeting or just on the couch daydreaming about a vacation, Southwest mobile gives you access to what you need. Features include: • Check in, book, change, or cancel air reservations • View your upcoming flight’s status, boarding position, and gate information from the home page • Access your Mobile boarding pass • Book or cancel rental car reservations • Check flight status and setup text notifications • Add EarlyBird Check-In® to an existing reservation • Enroll in and access your Rapid Rewards account • View travel and weather alerts • Access helpful airport information see more...

• When is the best time to book with Southwest for the best...9 Answers
  • If you had a free ticket to anywhere- where would you be ...19 Answers
  • I have never flown in an air plane but want to some day.....7 Answers
Southwest Airlines
  • "They're my favourite airline, from the great customer service agents and pilots, to the somewhat humorous flight attendants, as well as being seated based on your check-in time and the ability to have free check luggage, what is not to love. " in 189 reviews
  • "There has never been a time where I have even considered flying anyone else and if I have an issue their customer service is amazing and they help me out. " in 176 reviews
  • "I enjoy that I can still get 2 checked bags for free and that they still offer peanuts/pretzels along with beverage service!" in 123 reviews
  • "I have always found great fares online when booked in advance and with 2 free checked bags per person its a great deal Don't expect meals or in flight entertainment, but nothing your own ipad/book/phone couldn't fix." in 81 reviews
  • "Look for flights that aren't booked full if possible, and make sure you either buy Early Bird Check-in or check in online 24 hours in advance." in 48 reviews
Kelly M.
Celebration, FL
I’ve flown Southwest a lot over the past ten years. They’re always the first airline I do a price check for when starting to book a trip due to how affordable they are, the service from the flight attendants, and the availability of direct flights from Orlando to Buffalo. I was impacted by Hurricane Irma this year and felt that they were incredibly accommodating to those of us impacted with that, even holding my flight in Orlando to wait for a flight that was delayed out of Fort Lauderdale since that was the last flight out of Florida that would fit all of those passengers. Slightly annoyed I’d be late arriving in Buffalo (the hanger was real), but understood the gravity of the situation. I had some comp drink coupons (I’m a rapid rewards card member) and the flight attendant didn’t even take the coupons and just gave us the drinks for free due to the delay. Wasn’t expecting that! The only downside (and I don’t mark them down for this because it’s always how they’ve operated) is that they don’t do preassigned seats. Not a big problem, except if you don’t get boarding group A, and you’re headed to or from Orlando. Do you know how many people take their kids to Disney World? A LOT. They do family boarding after group A, so if you’re traveling with a lot of people, or even a few and you want to get seats together, you’re basically screwed. But you can always upgrade to the early bird check in and get into boarding group A to get around that. I’m usually flying by myself so it’s okay, but something to consider if you’re in a group.
Becky P.
Kearns, UT
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Southwest Airlines is very reasonably priced. We have never had any bad customer service in any area. We have had pilots call in sick, an airplane mechanical issue, overlays, bumpy rides but none of it was from the airlines actually. They took care of us each and every time. They were always pleasant and comforting. I love the wanna get away prices and flights. The only complaint is make the seats a little larger and more leg room please. This is for every airline. My husband is very tall and me a little wider. It’s very uncomfortable for both of us to sit in these little seats with no leg room especially if someone leans back. Also if I ask for a seat belt extender don’t make a big deal. I’ve had surgery across my stomach and scar tissue build up. It hurts to clip that seat belt so tight right where the scar is. Usually southwest is the best about the seat belt extenders. I want to be comfortable and safe. We try to sit in the front row because there’s more leg room for my husband. Also help people with the new check in system on the computer. Not everyone knows what they are doing on these and they change all the time. Some elderly people don’t get these at all. I always want to help them.
Karen C.
Canby, OR
Any time we need to fly I always stat with Southwest Airlines. Not only are their prices the best out there but all of their employees are amazing! From the time I check my luggage at the curb, to checking in for our flight and the entire staff on the plane, you are in amazing hands of very friendly (and most of the time, funny) people. They always want to make it right for you.

And guess what, you also get to bring not ONE but TWO bags to check in for FREE! In this day and age of being charged for everything, not having to worry about paying for my luggage is such a great bonus. It means we have more money to spend on our trips. The planes are great, you get free sodas and coffee as well as snacks and can get wifi for extra if you’d like.

The one downfall is not being able to select your seat but we always pay the extra money for early bird checkin so we’re towards the front of the line to board and select our seats. Southwest always seems to be on time too and I’ve yet to have a delay with them. Unless we’re going somewhere Southwest doesn’t fly to, I wouldn’t dream of flying on another airline.

Tiffany N.
CHICAGO , IL
Never had a bad experience with Southwest Airlines. I love being able to grab my own seat when boarding, the first row usually has extra leg room which is wonderful. The last time I flew I was with a disabled family member, we checked in at the desk to request a wheelchair -which I planned on pushing- the desk staff was amazing, polite, and kind. They had a wheelchair brought out to us and let me know an employee would take my uncle to the gate (this is standard, I had no idea). We knew we would be able to board first but the front desk employees also gave us a reserved sign to put on the seat between us so my uncle would have extra room (he is 6' 5") if the flight wasn't sold out. When we arrive at our destination there was a wheelchair and an employee to take my uncle to the transportation pickup.

On our flight back we receive the same treatment, with friendly, polite, and kind employees.

All of this is apparently standard procedure but was so much more than I expected. Southwest had already been my preferred airline but this just solidified it.
Sara H.
Encinitas, CA
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Southwest Airlines has some of the best employees of ANY airline I've ever had. They make it extremely clear that the customer is their priority!

Once, I was boarding a Southwest flight, and there were more individuals that needed Handicap assistance than usual, which naturally pushed back the boarding process. The PILOT got off of the plane to come be of assistance and help speed up the process. They all go above and beyond to make sure everyone is having an enjoyable experience.

Something I love about Southwest (which many wealthier people may not like) is how everyone is equal on the plane. As long as you check in right around the 24 hour mark, you'll get a good boarding number, and therefore have the ability to choose the seat you want (window, aisle, or middle). There are no seat assignments prior to boarding - only your boarding number. Once you're on the plane, you can choose where you'd like to sit. It's a very INCLUSIVE process, and gives customers the power to choose!

Southwest typically has some of the cheaper flights, but what's amazing about them, is they let you check TWO FREE BAGS! Yes, you heard that right, TWO FREE BAGS! They also let you cancel and change your flights like you're trading monopoly money. They're incredibly flexible with your booking and changing around your flights. Sometimes you may need to pay the difference, but other than that, you can move things around if something comes up for whatever reason.

Moreover, I think Southwest Airlines is pretty spectacular.
Alexandra W.
Absolutely love SouthWest Airlines! I am a frequent traveler and if I am staying within the country I always fly with SouthWest Airlines. Bags fly free, my small dog is allowed on board, WiFi, and great service! The SouthWest flight crew is always looking out for your best interest and making sure all passengers have a safe, comfortable, and relaxing flight. The pilots are always interacting with passengers through announcements. Wether it be telling passengers weather updates, arrival times, the best cruising altitudes, turbulence warnings, or even pointing out attractions you can see from the sky. As well as flight attendants playing games with the passengers to pass time and even signing songs as you reach your destination. I trust SouthWest Airlines more than any other airline in the country. I would recommend SouthWest Airlines to anyone. Who says relaxation can’t start until you get to your vacation destination? Try SouthWest Airlines, relaxation begins at take off!
Hillary P.
Oswego, IL
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
I love flying Southwest and it is my family's favorite airline to fly. You get two free bags checked and a carry on and a personal item - which saves you a lot of money and or the hassle of trying to fit all your stuff in one small carry on. In addition to this, all the planes are the same size no matter what the flight so you can always expect a spacious, comfortable plane for your trip. It's typically more affordable than other airlines and the staff are super friendly and many of them make jokes during the onboarding. It's very family friendly and I'd recommend it.
The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I don't like that you can't pick your seat before you board the plan. Some people prefer their boarding process, but I personally prefer to know where I'm sitting ahead of time and I've noticed unassigned seats makes the boarding process slower. Overall though it's an excellent airline and one of the best out there.
They don't offer flights in all areas unfortunately.
Gina B.
Las Vegas, NV
I bought my very first plane ticket and flew for the first time in March of 2017. I bought a ticket from Southwest Airlines and my experience wasn’t great. The plane I initially was scheduled on had an “oil leakage from the right engine” and everyone had to evaluate off of the plane and back into the Airport to wait once more. When we arrived in the Airport, there was a fire alarm that went off and we had to go to another section of the Airport. I was with two other people and we didn’t receive clear  directions on which Southwest flight we were to be boarding. Luckily, a man who recognized us from the previous flight, told us he was told which plane we were to board and we followed him. Others followed us trying to locate this mystery plane. We then had to wait about 45-50 minutes and finally was able to board the plane. I was one of the last people as I had no idea of the priority boarding all I knew is that it cost extra and boy was I in for a surprise. I had to squeeze between two people in the dreaded “middle seat”. The turbulence was terrible but I was told that this is “normal”. I was frightened beyond belief! I prayed the entire time thinking of that “oil leakage” from the plane before. I did make it to my destination safely. The ride back home was better. I bought a priority boarding pass and it was well worth it! The thing I dislike is that there are no assigned seats however the benefit was that I could buy a priority boarding pass and choose the seat I wanted. The ride back was smoother and I was able to relax and even doze off here and there. It was a great learning experience. I would still recommend Southwest Airlines to family and friends. It is affordable and they give free snacks!
Shannon N.
Caledonia
I love using Southwest. We are close to 2 airports that they fly out of so I can check airfare and go with the cheapest one that works for me. They allow each airfare to bring 2 checked bags with at no additional charge. With Southwest you do not choose your seat when you purchase airfare. Everyone checks-in online exactly at 24 hours or less before your departure and you are assigned A, B or C groups. A group boards 1st then B then C. You can pay for early-bird check-in (I think its $12.99 per person and it automatically checks you in before everyone else can check-in on the computer so you're almost always assigned A group) but as long as you are able to check-in online exactly at 24hrs prior then you should have no problem finding a seat together when you board. We've, luckily, never run into a delayed or cancelled flight with Southwest. They're almost always on time. Very friendly staff.
Vidhi A.
Southwest is my favorite airline. First of all I love how they don’t have baggage fees! Second, I love not having a seating chart and not paying for seats. If you don’t know their model, you basically buy your ticket and you get allotted a position number. At time of boarding everyone lines up in order of their position and enter the plane and sit wherever they want. For $12.50 early bird price you can get in line early if you like a particular seat and want to make sure it’s not taken or if you are traveling with family as it assures that everyone will be in line back to back to sit next to each other. Paying $12.50 is a lot better than paying $30 for a seat along with baggage fees. Or the hassle of waiting for check-in time to find a seat online. So I am a frequent Southwest flyer and will continue to be.
Jackie B.
Austin, TX
I have a love/hate relationship with Southwest's open seating process. How do others feel about it?
Melissa B.
Fort Sill, OK
Anyone else with children hate that we are boarded last? I find it irritating that I have to squeeze through with a car seat, a baby in one arm and my diaper bag hitting everyone on the way through the aisle. This isn't only a problem on southwest, but on every airline that I have flown with.
Rose M.
El Dorado Spg, MO
Techie Expert Level 2
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THAT NOW THAT THEY ARE KNOWN FOR FREE BAGS, THE COST FOR FLYS HAS INCREASED?
Tara F.
Wilmington, DE
How many people love Southwest?
Megan M.
Germantown, MD
Where is the best place you've flown on Southwest?