BY SOUTH AFRICAN

South African Airways
  • "It's a long flight and it can be pretty miserable but the planes are equipped with seat back individual tv screens with a really nice selection of movies." in 5 reviews
Beth H.
Berea, OH
Globetrotter Expert
I have a lot of good things to say about South Africa Airways... they took me to and from the most amazing destination in the world (in my opinion) so I am grateful. The cost of the round trip flight was not too outrageous. Free wine, thumbs up! Food was pretty good surprisingly. The flight attendants are absolutely gorgeous. They are dressed to the nines with a gorgeous red lipstick and beautiful neck scarves. They are friendly and attentive. The cramped conditions were awful though... :( My ankles ended up swelling so badly I could hardly walk after 16 hours in the air. Also there was an issue with the inflight entertainment on the way home and that made for a really tough 16 hours. I just wish there was more room in coach... I can't afford a $6k ticket for first class. I will of course be traveling with them again... South Africa has a huge piece of my heart!
Kristin C.
Lancaster, PA
I traveled to Capetown in December 2012. The staff and attendants were extremely friendly. They made sure their customers were hydrated and had full stomachs. The meals were so-so, but it's airline food, so no biggie. They also had small snacks and sandwiches for after meal snacks. The airline also encouraged passengers to walk around, do leg exercises and move around frequently. Overall, great airline. I would've loved to travel first class though, as it was a bit cramped for such a long flight (and an FULL flight). Only complaint was that the airline didn't offer my professor a discount for a group flight. (roughly 15 people were traveling together).
Carrie s.
Duluth, GA
I flew with South African Airways in 2011 from South Africa--> Zimbabwe and from ZImbabwe---> South Africa. While the flights were on time and the flight attendants were friendly, I was not happy that my luggage was lost on my return flight. When I returned to the US, I spent nearly two weeks of speaking with various agents for South African Airways all who assured me that my luggage couldn't be found, they didn't have anyone who had time to search for it, it had already been delivered to me etc.

Luckily, Delta found my luggage in South Africa and paid for it to be returned to the US (directly to my house!). While it wasn't their responsibility, I will be forever grateful for Delta.

I will definitely have to think seriously before I ever fly with South African Airways again!
Lauren L.
Globetrotter Expert
Seriously the best airline I have ever been on. The staff are beyond friendly and accommodating. The flights have always been nice and comfortable, which is super important, especially on an 18-hour trans-Atlantic flight. The meals served on board were some of the best I have ever had on a flight and was super impressed that they gave you real silverware to eat with! An even bigger plus is the variety of in-flight entertainment available. If you're headed to S. Africa this is the airline to fly!
Ashley N.
When I've flown them, they've been friendly (with only one exception that I can think of), professional and on time. I never eat on planes of I can help it, but with 19 hour flights I didn't really have a choice. The food (for what it is) is actually pretty decent. I will definitely continue to fly with them.
Emily A.
I have never been more impressed with an airline than I have been with South African Air. I have traveled to Africa over 10 times in the past 8 years and I try to South African Air as often as I can. The staff are so hospitable and go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable on those long flights. The food they serve is some of the best airline food I have ever tasted and they feed you so often that you never even have a chance to get hungry during your time in flight. It is always such a pleasure to fly on South African Air!
Maggie Jo H.
Fayetteville, AR
The BEST plane food I've ever had has been on SAA. The rows are huge, the flights never completely full (so you have plenty of room) and the customer service nice. Of course it's not fun having the plane sprayed but if that's the worst part, it's pretty good. Fly SAA!
Maegan C.
Little Rock, AR
I had to travel South African Airaways last fall and it was a nice experience. The airplanes were nice and when we had a flight delay they were quick to reschedule us so we could make the next flight. The attendants were also friendly and helpful to our needs.
Jill T.
San Antonio , TX
I flew this airline from DC to South Africa to Namibia back to South Africa then to the DC. Airline was great on keeping us fed and hydrated as one leg was 18 hours alone. During the 18 hour flight we stopped about halfway to refuel and add/loose some passengers, the staff was very nice during this transition as they checked seats and sanitized the aircraft.
Susan G.
Broomfield, CO
Globetrotter Expert
I had good experiences when flying SAA within South Africa. The planes were comfortable and the flight attendants were very professional and helpful. I would recommend them on shorter flights, as I have no knowledge of them on transatlantic flights.
Courtney J.
Mayfield, KY
Globetrotter Expert
Do you get snacks on this plane?
Ruzica R.
How is this airlines?
Taylor P.
Cuyahoga Fls, OH
Do these do to Uganda?
starr s.
Akron, OH
How do they charge you for your luggage and how may carry on bags are you allowed to take on the plain with you
naomi f.
Globetrotter Expert
So this is an airline? Ive never flew on a plane so I don't know much about this product. I sew good reviews though.