BY SOUTH AFRICAN

South African Airways
  • "It's a long flight and it can be pretty miserable but the planes are equipped with seat back individual tv screens with a really nice selection of movies." in 5 reviews
Abigail T.
Des Moines, IA
My husband and I flew South African Airways and LOVED IT! I have flown with many international airlines and this was one of my favorites! Long flights can be uncomfortable but gezzz my legs loved me for once! The staff was super nice and I will definitely fly again!!!
Kaitlin B.
Greensboro, NC
One of the best airline out there! The are hardly ever delays and the staff is always friendly and helpful. Plus they have a good amount of seat space and the food is goof on economy and OUTSTANDING on business class. Their business class service is top notch and you really couldn't ask for more, Wonderful airline.
Chelsea B.
Coral gables, FL
The bigger planes are nice but the smaller ones are outdated and somewhat uncomfortable. On a few of my flights I did not have great customer service, and they even skipped delivering meals or beverages.
Beth H.
Berea, OH
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
I have a lot of good things to say about South Africa Airways... they took me to and from the most amazing destination in the world (in my opinion) so I am grateful. The cost of the round trip flight was not too outrageous. Free wine, thumbs up! Food was pretty good surprisingly. The flight attendants are absolutely gorgeous. They are dressed to the nines with a gorgeous red lipstick and beautiful neck scarves. They are friendly and attentive. The cramped conditions were awful though... :( My ankles ended up swelling so badly I could hardly walk after 16 hours in the air. Also there was an issue with the inflight entertainment on the way home and that made for a really tough 16 hours. I just wish there was more room in coach... I can't afford a $6k ticket for first class. I will of course be traveling with them again... South Africa has a huge piece of my heart!
Amanda M.
I took a direct flight from JFK to Johannesburg and although the flight was absurdly long, i actually enjoyed it much more than i thought i would. South African Airways is really, really nice. the in-flight entertainment consoles were AMAZING - like, way better than any other airline i have been on thus far. the food was pretty decent as well and, most exciting, THEY GIVE YOU QUITE A SIZABLE BOTTLE OF WINE WHENEVER YOU ASK FOR IT DURING BEVERAGE SERVICES. FOR FREE. maybe because South Africa produces so much wine, so they could just give it away like that? and it wasn't even bad wine; like, fairly decent, actually. regardless, my experience was quite good. i took it again from Cape Town to Johannesburg to Victoria Falls and it was just as nice, although there weren't as many amenities, but it was an infinitely shorter flight. then i took it back to NYC. loved it.
Kristin C.
Lancaster , PA
I traveled to Capetown in December 2012. The staff and attendants were extremely friendly. They made sure their customers were hydrated and had full stomachs. The meals were so-so, but it's airline food, so no biggie. They also had small snacks and sandwiches for after meal snacks. The airline also encouraged passengers to walk around, do leg exercises and move around frequently. Overall, great airline. I would've loved to travel first class though, as it was a bit cramped for such a long flight (and an FULL flight). Only complaint was that the airline didn't offer my professor a discount for a group flight. (roughly 15 people were traveling together).
Carrie s.
Duluth, GA
I flew with South African Airways in 2011 from South Africa--> Zimbabwe and from ZImbabwe---> South Africa. While the flights were on time and the flight attendants were friendly, I was not happy that my luggage was lost on my return flight. When I returned to the US, I spent nearly two weeks of speaking with various agents for South African Airways all who assured me that my luggage couldn't be found, they didn't have anyone who had time to search for it, it had already been delivered to me etc.

Luckily, Delta found my luggage in South Africa and paid for it to be returned to the US (directly to my house!). While it wasn't their responsibility, I will be forever grateful for Delta.

I will definitely have to think seriously before I ever fly with South African Airways again!
Staci C.
San Diego , Ca
The first impression of South African Airways was good, but after a while I didn't feel comfortable. Bathroom wasn't clean and the flush wasn't working well, sink was obstructed. Food was okay, the chicken was spicy, meat had better taste. Vegetarian meal was offered. My seat and my daughter's seat IFE screen didn't function after they rebooted the system. They had to reboot twice and still didn't work. The flight attendant could not do anything about it. They gave me the option to change place but since I was with two young kids there were not enough seats available.
Enie B.
Dallas, TX
I don't know but my first experience was not NICE at all I somewhat encounted a very rude hostess, she was more grumpy then me who had been flight for 2 days nonstop and was jet lagged. SAA is like the only biggest flight service in Southern Africa so really 😏no much choice and am wishing they could iron out all the little things knowing the fact they rule or is it because they rule no wonder they don't care! 🙃
Lauren L.
Globetrotter Expert Level 3
Seriously the best airline I have ever been on. The staff are beyond friendly and accommodating. The flights have always been nice and comfortable, which is super important, especially on an 18-hour trans-Atlantic flight. The meals served on board were some of the best I have ever had on a flight and was super impressed that they gave you real silverware to eat with! An even bigger plus is the variety of in-flight entertainment available. If you're headed to S. Africa this is the airline to fly!
Courtney J.
Mayfield, KY
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Do you get snacks on this plane?
Ruzica R.
How is this airlines?
starr s.
Akron, OH
How do they charge you for your luggage and how may carry on bags are you allowed to take on the plain with you
Taylor P.
Cuyahoga Fls, OH
Globetrotter Expert Level 4
Do these do to Uganda?
naomi f.
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
So this is an airline? Ive never flew on a plane so I don't know much about this product. I sew good reviews though.