BY SOUTH AFRICAN

South African Airways
  • "It's a long flight and it can be pretty miserable but the planes are equipped with seat back individual tv screens with a really nice selection of movies." in 5 reviews
Becky H.
Ann Arbor , MI
Flew with SAA four times last year - JFK to Johannesburg and reverse, Johannesburg to Lilongwe (Malawi) and reverse. BEST plane food I've ever had, they even fed us on the 2-hour Johannesburg-Lilongwe flight, and they come around with drinks and snacks frequently. Also, the plane was less than half full, so my friends and I were able to move around freely and I ended up with a window seat and the aisle seat next to it to curl up. I'd definitely recommend SAA!
Enie B.
Dallas, TX
I don't know but my first experience was not NICE at all I somewhat encounted a very rude hostess, she was more grumpy then me who had been flight for 2 days nonstop and was jet lagged. SAA is like the only biggest flight service in Southern Africa so really ūüėŹno much choice and am wishing they could iron out all the little things knowing the fact they rule or is it because they rule no wonder they don't care! ūüôÉ
Erica F.
Bethpage, NY
I flew direct from JFK to Johannesburg and back. It's a long flight but not as bad as I anticipated. Each seat had its own TV with a good selection of movies to keep you busy. They also help you fend off jetlag by shutting off the lights and faking your body into thinking it's nighttime. Plus they give lots of food and free wine.
Kaitlin B.
Greensboro, NC
One of the best airline out there! The are hardly ever delays and the staff is always friendly and helpful. Plus they have a good amount of seat space and the food is goof on economy and OUTSTANDING on business class. Their business class service is top notch and you really couldn't ask for more, Wonderful airline.
Chelsea B.
Coral gables , FL
The bigger planes are nice but the smaller ones are outdated and somewhat uncomfortable. On a few of my flights I did not have great customer service, and they even skipped delivering meals or beverages.
Natalie M.
I hope one day to the tape a dream vacation and take south African airways to Africa to experience a lot of things that I haven't yet done.
Anna Marie S.
I wish my experience was better. So many things were broken and the cabin was stuffy.
Staci C.
San Diego , Ca
The first impression of South African Airways was good, but after a while I didn't feel comfortable. Bathroom wasn't clean and the flush wasn't working well, sink was obstructed. Food was okay, the chicken was spicy, meat had better taste. Vegetarian meal was offered. My seat and my daughter's seat IFE screen didn't function after they rebooted the system. They had to reboot twice and still didn't work. The flight attendant could not do anything about it. They gave me the option to change place but since I was with two young kids there were not enough seats available.
Abigail T.
Des Moines, IA
My husband and I flew South African Airways and LOVED IT! I have flown with many international airlines and this was one of my favorites! Long flights can be uncomfortable but gezzz my legs loved me for once! The staff was super nice and I will definitely fly again!!!
Amanda M.
I took a direct flight from JFK to Johannesburg and although the flight was absurdly long, i actually enjoyed it much more than i thought i would. South African Airways is really, really nice. the in-flight entertainment consoles were AMAZING - like, way better than any other airline i have been on thus far. the food was pretty decent as well and, most exciting, THEY GIVE YOU QUITE A SIZABLE BOTTLE OF WINE WHENEVER YOU ASK FOR IT DURING BEVERAGE SERVICES. FOR FREE. maybe because South Africa produces so much wine, so they could just give it away like that? and it wasn't even bad wine; like, fairly decent, actually. regardless, my experience was quite good. i took it again from Cape Town to Johannesburg to Victoria Falls and it was just as nice, although there weren't as many amenities, but it was an infinitely shorter flight. then i took it back to NYC. loved it.
Courtney J.
Mayfield, KY
Globetrotter Expert
Do you get snacks on this plane?
Ruzica R.
How is this airlines?
starr s.
Akron, OH
How do they charge you for your luggage and how may carry on bags are you allowed to take on the plain with you
Taylor P.
Cuyahoga Fls, OH
Do these do to Uganda?
naomi f.
Globetrotter Expert
So this is an airline? Ive never flew on a plane so I don't know much about this product. I sew good reviews though.