BY SONY

System of a Down's 1998 debut was initially overlooked by the mainstream hard rock audience, as well as the specialized press. But heavy metal cognoscenti in both camps quickly realized that in their hands was a potentially crucial stepping stone for the future development of heavy metal. Sure enough, so challenging and groundbreaking were its contents that the album soared over most everyone's unsuspecting heads, its eventual gold sales status only achieved via Columbia Records' massive promotional muscle and nearly three years of intensive touring on the band's part. Consequently, early believers were pleasantly surprised when 2001's long awaited follow-up, Toxicity met with instant popular acceptance, skyrocketing up the charts toward multi-platinum success. Yet, for the most part, it also managed to retained SOAD's unorthodox signature sound: so-called "nu-metal" uniquely infused with remarkable originality, including angular riffs, jagged rhythms, and oblique lyrics splattered all over the place. Like its predecessor, Toxicity seems utterly chaotic upon first listen, but things quickly begin falling into place, thanks to a number of small refinements, not least of which is a more generous melody, obviously pre-meditated, but rarely overdone. In turn, this immediacy greatly improved the album's chances at radio - case in point, first single "Chop Suey," a track so potent not even September 11, nor mainstream radio's ensuing self-imposed, politically correct attempt at self-censorship, could tear from the airwaves (despite its none-too-discreet lyrics about suicide), the song's surprising success was reminiscent of another left-field hit from a decade earlier, Faith No More's "Epic" (hear its piano-led outro for proof). And sure enough, from the unexpected false starts of "Prison Song" to the relatively mellow conclusion, the band's heightened commercial sensibility continues to joust with their inherently quirky songwriting. The excellent title track, "Forest see more...

• I only know one song of this band. ( you want to). And it...9 Answers
  • What's your favorite system of a down song?12 Answers
  • Who still listens tof this?2 Answers
Sony TOXICITY BY SYSTEM OF A DOWN (CD)
  • "Its awesome to even hear my son listening to the same CD I jammed to for so many years " in 1 review
Tara N.
Glassboro, NJ
One of my favorites. I still listen to it from time to time. Every song was great and so much meaning behind it. My kids even got into them when they were old enough.
Simone Pisani B.
I love System of a Down and this is the best album, I love the mix of the genre that they have. I love Serj Tankian's voice, he is one of my favorites singers, amazing vocal range and unique style. I love the Daron Malakian too (the guitarrist).
My favorite band and my favorite album!
Brittany S.
Milan, MI
You can never go wrong with System Of A Down. Toxicity still gets stuck in my head to this day, actually every song that I know by them gets stuck in my head still because I play them so often. Really wish they'd tour in America again, missed them just this past time!
Bridgett B.
Deep Run , NC
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I'm a big fan of System of a Down. I seen them live. I still listen to these songs to this day. It's a unique sound. I'm not sure who to compare Surge to. You pretty much either love them or hate them.
Adriana T.
Lubbock, TX
System of a Down does not get the credit it deserves. The lead singer of the band has such a unique voice that it's truly hard not to want to listen. It is considered hard rock, but that's not al it is. There is meaning to the music, and I think that that's all you can ask for in an artist.
Lacy M.
Madera, CA
I have always loved this CD since I was in high school. I have seen them in concert about a dozen times now and they are still amazing. This album is very high energy and I love every song on it. I would definitely recommend adding it to your collection.
Amber P.
I've had this CD for a very long time! I used to listen to it nonstop. Every year my family and I would travel to the beach and on the way I would listen to this cd on repeat. Especially , Science! I love that song! This will always be one of my favorite CDs!
Kylee L.
Augusta, WI
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
My dad introduced me to this cd and band and I've been listening to them for along time now! Great artists! Great cd! Worth the buy and worth the listen! If you like this type of music I would highly recommend this for you! :)
Eloria S.
Stoughton, WI
If you like listening to punk rock and metal this is a great album for you. They are their own unique genre but has a good beat and meaning to their music. My favorite song on this album is "Toxicity".
courtney F.
College Sta, TX
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This was the first System of a Down CD I ever listened to. I had never been a fan of heavy metal before, but this cd changed my perspective. It's definitely different and heavy and crazy, but something about it just appealed to me so much, I just couldn't stop listening!
Olivia R.
west monroe, LA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
What's your favorite system of a down song?
MariaJose A.
I only know one song of this band. ( you want to). And it's awesome What song you recoments me ?
Kim B.
North Fort Myers, FL
Who still listens tof this?