BY SONY #28 in Music

Liner Note Author: Anthony DeCurtis. Recording information: Folsom Prison (01/13/1968); Hendersonville (01/13/1968); Memphis (01/13/1968); Nashville (01/13/1968); San Quentin Prison (01/13/1968); Folsom Prison (02/24/1969); Hendersonville (02/24/1969); Memphis (02/24/1969); Nashville (02/24/1969); San Quentin Prison (02/24/1969); Folsom Prison (03/05/1976-07/06/1976); Hendersonville (03/05/1976-07/06/1976); Memphis (03/05/1976-07/06/1976); Nashville (03/05/1976-07/06/1976); San Quentin Prison (03/05/1976-07/06/1976); Folsom Prison (04/02/1956-07/10/1958); Hendersonville (04/02/1956-07/10/1958); Memphis (04/02/1956-07/10/1958); Nashville (04/02/1956-07/10/1958); San Quentin Prison (04/02/1956-07/10/1958); Folsom Prison (07/24/1958-10/03/1984); Hendersonville (07/24/1958-10/03/1984); Memphis (07/24/1958-10/03/1984); Nashville (07/24/1958-10/03/1984); San Quentin Prison (07/24/1958-10/03/1984).Photographers: Don Hunstein; Jim Marshall; Alan Messer. As part of Columbia/Legacy's ongoing celebration of Johnny Cash's 80th birthday in 2012, the label assembled a series of compilations under the rubric "The Greatest." This 19-track collection covers ground so obvious that it's a wonder there hasn't been a similar compilation before: it showcases Cash's chart-toppers. Strictly speaking, some of these singles did not reach number one - 1958's "The Ways of a Woman in Love" and 1979's "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky" peaked at two, while 1958's "What Do I Care" topped out at eight - and a good case could be made that "Get Rhythm," the charting flip of "I Walk the Line," should have been here, but that's ultimately nitpicking as this provides a single-disc overview of Cash's charting years unlike any other compilation on the market. Usually, Cash compilations concentrate on his enduring standards, which aren't necessarily the same thing as his biggest hits. This means that there are some very big songs missing here - "Hey Porter," "Cry Cry Cry," "I Still Miss Someone," "The Ba. see more...

• Was his last hit a cover by nine inch nails5 Answers
  • Anyone else fall into a burning ring of fire? 11 Answers
  • What is your favorite Johnny Cash song ?45 Answers
Buy on Jet.com*
Christina C.
Christina C.
Smyrna, TN
Pop Culture Expert
"I hurt myself today. To see if i still feel. I focus on a pain. The only thing thats real. The needle tears a hole. The old familiar sting. Try to kill it all away. But i remember everything. And you could have it all. My empire of dirt. I will let you down. I will make you hurt." The man in black. Love me some Johnny Cash. I love the movie, Ive read his biography. I know pretty much everything their is to know about Johnny Cash. A true legend in his own league. #Cash for life
Rachel R.
Rachel R.
Tecumseh, OK
Pop Culture Expert
Johnny Cash has always maintained a special place in my heart, growing up in Oklahoma (not far from his home in Arkansas). His talent never wavered, despite the material, and throughout his long (but not long enough) life, his voice matured and evolved and aged and somehow sounded better than before. This collection shows off his most popular songs, but his deep cuts are certainly worth the time as well.
Jaime G.
Jaime G.
Mora, MN
Pop Culture Expert
I am obsessed with Johnny Cash! His music is full of soul, love, triumph, and trouble. He's truly a symbol of American culture and heritage. His songs are full of wisdom. There is no greater artist country music or any other type of music in my opinion that can begin to compare to Johnny Cash. His music needs to be experienced by all!
Sara B.
Sara B.
Richland, WA
Pop Culture Expert
My all time Johnny cash song is Hurt! And it is not on the CD! Which really bummed me out and is why I only gave it four stars! How can you not have that song on his greatest hits? However the CD does have a lot of his popular songs like " I walk the line " etc. What an amazing artist !
Annie V.
Annie V.
Pop Culture Expert
Johnny Cash lives on and will forever remain one of top favorite musical greats. He has a musical style that many have tried to imitate, and we have him to thank for inspiring many young musicians. If you haven't listened to Johnny Cash yet, this album is a great start!
Ysabel H.
Ysabel H.
Pop Culture Expert
Johnny Cash is a classic. He lives on and his soul never dies. This CD is perfect for relaxing, singing along. His vocals are beautiful and the lyrics and meaningful and realistic. I cherish the memories I have listening to Johnny Cash with my father and brother.
Amber Y.
Amber Y.
Pop Culture Expert
Legend. Every song has a dark feel but it's as if you are Johnny cash for a few moments. Great vocals and lyrics on all his songs. My personal favorite is Folsom Prison. I've listen to Johnny Cash my whole life and if I ever say I'm sick of him slap me!
Meghan H.
Meghan H.
Claxton , GA
Pop Culture Expert
Johnny cash was one of the most prolific songwriters of the last century. His music carried through across genres and classes. He know how to tell a story and make you feel what he felt. A voice that it so recognizable to many generations.
Cassie R.
Cassie R.
Medford, OR
I love Johnny Cash! Love his deep voice and his passion through his songs! He lived what he was singing about! Not only was he a great legendary singer but he has a great life story proving you can change and make something of yourself.
Heather J.
Heather J.
Pittsburgh, PA
Pop Culture Expert
Johnny Cash will always be one of the greats. He remained a true artist until he passed. No one could compare to his hauntingly beautiful melodies. It's lovely to have the classics all in one album. And I live to let my kids listen too!
Leslie R.
Leslie R.
Golden, MS
Pop Culture Expert
What is your favorite Johnny Cash song ?
Michelle F.
Michelle F.
Whittier , CA
Pop Culture Expert
Who has seen the movie walk the line ? Did you like it ? Because I do.
Josh A.
Josh A.
Pop Culture Expert
What is your favorite nickname for Johnny Cash? Mine is "Johnny Cash Money"
Emily L.
Emily L.
Pop Culture Expert
What's your favorite more obscure Cash song (ones not on this album)?
Aoife C.
Aoife C.
Tipperary
Anyone else fall into a burning ring of fire?