BY SONY

Anybody who was initially confused by singer/songwriter John Mayer's foray into blues with 2005's Try! John Mayer Trio Live in Concert could only have been further confounded upon listening to the album and coming to the realization that it was actually good. And not just kinda good, especially for guy who had been largely labeled as a Dave Matthews clone, but really, truthfully, organically good as a blues album in its own right. However, for longtime fans who had been keeping tabs on Mayer, the turn might not have been so unexpected. Soon after the release of his 2003 sophomore album, the laid-back, assuredly melodic Heavier Things, Mayer began appearing on albums by such iconic blues and jazz artists as Buddy Guy, B.B. King, and Herbie Hancock. And not just singing, but playing guitar next to musicians legendary on the instrument. In short, he was seeking out these artists in an attempt to delve into the roots of the blues, a music he obviously has a deep affection for. Rather than his blues trio being a one-off side project completely disconnected to his past work, it is clear now that it was the next step in his musical development. And truthfully, while Try! certainly showcases Mayer's deft improvisational blues chops, it's more of a blues/soul album in the tradition of such electric blues legends as Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan, and features songs by Mayer that perfectly marry his melodic songcraft and his blues-slinger inclinations. In fact, what seemed at the time a nod to his largely female fan base (the inclusion of "Daughters" and "Something's Missing" off Heavier Things) was actually a hint that he was bridging his sound for his listeners, showing them where he was going. That said, nothing he did up until the excellent, expansive Try! could have prepared you for the monumental creative leap forward that is Mayer's 2006 studio effort, Continuum. Working with his blues trio/rhythm section of bassist Pino Palladino and drummer Steve Jordan, along wi see more...

• Anyone have a favorite song from this album? 28 Answers
Martina M.
John Mayer can do no wrong. No wrong can be done by John Mayer. Everything he touches is perfection. These are the classics. Some say he can never reach this level again. I say you don’t know him like I do.
Morgan B.
Belle Chasse, LA
I'd have to say this is his best album yet. His recent ones are not the same sound and not as smooth and melodic. Every lyrics on the album speaks to my soul. Would definitely recommend buying this to anyone.
Shelby G.
Everett, WA
Continuum is John Mayer's best album (tied with Battle Studies, for me). Gravity is such a beautiful song. The whole album just flows together so nicely and I can listen to it on repeat constantly. This will be a classic for me.
Aj S.
I love John Mayer! He's a great singer, musician, and composer. I grew up listening most to his song "Waiting On the World to Change" and "Your Body is a Wonderland", a few of the classic hits from him!
Maddy G.
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
I've always been a big fan of John Mayer. His songs are beautiful and he is such a great musician! I listen to his radio station on pandora all the time, even have a few CDs. I highly recommend listening to him if you like laid back music.
Sammie M.
Fresno, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This one of my favorite albums from John Mayer. "Waiting on the world to change" Will always be my favorite song. I also like all of the songs on the album but I love "Waiting on the world to change" the most. It's a really great song.
Grace T.
I am a huge music fan and I honestly and truly believe this is John Mayer best album. I have this on vinyl and is the one album I can always be secured with. Very thankful for this. Highly recommend.
Lindsay W.
Newport Beach, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
My 2nd favorite John Mayer album. I could see a real adult change in the this album from ones before. I think he went a little mad after this album so I like to think this was his last album
Ruth G.
Spring Valley, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
John mayor is such a great singer and very enjoyable to listen to at any time of the day . His music is very calming . I don't think I could even chose a song that I love to listen to from this album they are all really good .
Angelica R.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Fullllll of great songs! Gravity has to be my favorite from this album . John Mayer's guitar skills make this a must listen. Great to listen while you're on a road trip.
Angela M.
Lake Oswego , OR
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Anyone have a favorite song from this album?