Sony J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story

Recording information: Cole's Crib, New York, NY; KMA Studios, New York, NY; Quad Studios, New York, NY; Roc The Mic Studios, New York, NY; Stadium Red, New York, NY; Tree Sound Studios, Atlanta, GA; Wava Glow Studios, Los Angeles, CA. Photographer: Leann Mueller. Anyone who encountered his numerous mixtapes can tell you that before his official debut landed, rapper/producer J. Cole had spent some time bringing the whole Drake, Wale, and Big Sean style to a more street level. It's worth mentioning because Cole World: The Sideline Story has little of that debut desire to cross over, and while the multi-talented Cole is a skilled, interesting beat-maker in his own right, a superstar production would have certainly made this album more approachable. Instead, No I.D. - the biggest behind-the-boards name here - turns in a sluggy, druggy construction for "Never Told," Cole's deep, rich study of father/son confidence. Cole handles most of the rest on his own, turning in B+ stabs at dubstep ("Mr. Nice Watch" with guest and label boss Jay-Z), indie-hop ("Cole World" or "flossin' with a laptop"), and his own humbler version of the Roc-A-Fella sound (the great single "Lights Please"). Add an "Intro" and then a part III - the first two parts to be found on earlier mixtapes - and you're practically telling the aboveground crowd they're stale from the start, but the tradeoff is a talent that has matured in the underground and is free of any forced outside influence. Cole's fantastic style shoots off bold punch lines one minute ("I blow brains, Cobain-style") and then goes deep the next, with equal skill and all while stringing together eye-level, real-life stories that have that classic flow. The reservation count is high and the flaw count is zero, and in this case, that's the proper formula for a rich hip-hop album. Take a couple listens, let it sink in, and then discover that Cole World is one hell of a debut. ~ David Jeffries see more...

• Is this a must have album? I do like him, but not sure if I shoul...1 Answers
  • What's your favorite Cole project? Mine is a toss between Frid...1 Answers
  • What's your favorite song from this album?9 Answers
Sony J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story
  • "I got into J. Cole's music through my boyfriend but now I am such an avid listener and huge fan of his honest impactful music " in 1 review
Christal M.
Ellenwood, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
If you are J. Cole fan then you need to have this album. I can listen from start to finish no skip. Each song tells a different story and puts you in a different space. You have upbeat songs to rocks to and they you have songs that makes you stop and think, even contemplate your own life:.
Emily W.
Atlanta, GA
J. Cole is one of the most underrated artists these days. He has great lyrics and is so skilled. His songs are easy to enjoy, there is a great mix of those super catchy fun songs and more serious stuff. Would highly recommend to fans of Drake or Big Sean.
Kim A.
Philadelphia, PA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
His album is great and has those meaningful lyrics that make you think. Noooo he's not similar to others. J. Cole is J. Cole and that's what makes him unique. The instrumentation and the vocals are great. Listen to it!
Irene G.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Cole is a lyricist. Very clever with words & has a flow that can't be compared. Although not all the songs on this album are the greatest I believe he was trying to find what works for him. His radio play hits were great & that's what got me to listen. If you enjoy this album I suggest you download his mixtapes as well!! I swear you won't regret it. Love J. Cole have been a huge fan for a while. It's awesome to see him grow from this album to his latest work.
Kristina A.
Springfield , MA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Ugh, I wish I could rate this 100 stars but I can't. J.Cole is my absolute favorite artist. His world play, flow, and charisma is not like anyone else's. He's unreal. Such a humble artist and deserves all the respect in the world. This album CWTSS is one of his best. So many classics on here from " lights please " to "Dollar & A Dream: II" ... I wish I could see this in concert. That would be a night to remember
Miranda G.
Evansville, IN
I love J. Cole it took me a couple times listening to him but I'm sold. He stays true to himself and what he's feeling I believe he will stick to his guns and won't ever sale out. Who knows but he's never disappointed me and he puts on one hell of a show if you have never listened to him do it & see him preform he doesn't disappoint!
Jacqueline S.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I got into j Cole after hearing All I want. It's an amazing song and since then J Cole has done nothing but grown up and become even better. He's what the music industry has been looking for a while now.
Melissa H.
Denver, CO
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
The sideline story about Jay Cole was great I love him and his music he is such a talented artist I love all of his songs I am a big fan I would definitely buy his CDs in the future and recommend it to others
Valyncia D.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
J.cole is very cleaver with his choice of words i noticed that listening to this album all the way through. He processes his play of words and talks about relateable things that we all go through everyday.
Crystal L.
Palmdale, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Best cd ever i even seen him in concert 4 month pregnant walking down vegas strip trust to watch him and i would love to watch him again since him new album is just as go as last one. he keeps everything really and thats what i like about singers need to keep it real
Angel H.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
What's your favorite song from this album?
Mari R.
San Francisco, CA
What's your favorite Cole project? Mine is a toss between Friday Night Lights, and 2014 FHD as well as the warm up and truly yours 2
Tara L.
Is this a must have album? I do like him, but not sure if I should buy the album.