simplehuman Rectangular Step Trash Can uploaded by Casey K.simplehuman Rectangular Step Trash Can uploaded by Casey K.

BY SIMPLEHUMAN

The simplehuman rectangular step can is designed for superior durability and strength with patented lid shox® technology and a durable, all steel pedal.  The space-efficient shape and internal hinge allow this can to fit in tight corners or close against the wall. see more...

Casey K.
Burlington, KY
I have used this trash can for almost 2 years, so I have a good basis for my review. I selected this trash can because of the shape, the good reviews, and being able to use it up against a wall (or kitchen island in my case).

PROS:
-Sits flush against a wall or cabinets while the lid opens unobstructed.
-Can use standard 13-gallon trash bags.
-The step is soft and the lid doesn't bang against anything behind it or when it reaches the "back wall" when fully open.
-When the garbage is full, the trash bag is also full. In other words, there is no wasted/unused space in the garbage bag.
-The lid can be locked open. It comes in handy when you are peeling potatoes for instance.
-Inner liner can be removed from the can and sprayed down with a hose or cleaned by hand if it ever smells

CONS:
-It is a standard stainless steel can. It is not brushed stainless steel (which I have on my fridge). This stainless steel is harder to keep clean and the main reason for a rating less than a perfect 5-star rating.
-A small screw underneath the can that operates the foot lever has come loose twice. I have screwed it back in with no problem, however.
-In a perfect world, a standard 13-gallon trash bag would fit the inner liner of the can perfectly. It doesn't, but it's never been an issue for me. I like to roll the excess and tuck it between inner liner and outer can, but you can also tuck it in the provided holes in the liner.

This is a great trash can. If you don't mind an outer stainless steel can that shows dirt, then I highly recommend this trash can.
Mollie B.
Absolutely love SimpleHuman products. This trash can is very sleek and fits perfectly into my kitchen. It is well made and easy to use. The only con is that when opening the lid, it can slam the wall if done with too much force. Would definitely buy again.
Kelsey T.
It seems odd to rave about how awesome a garbage can is, but this is seriously great! It is the perfect size for our household (2 adults) and we have to empty it about once a week. I love that it is fingerprint resistant and it has a slow closure. The feature to keep the lid open is also very helpful.
Madison C.
Columbia, MO
Trash cans like these are a must for a toddler's bedroom because they can't really figure out how they work. But I think you can find cheaper ones than this.but over all this is a great thing to have with a toddler around.
Jaime M.
Fairbury, NE
I love this trash can. We used gift cards from our wedding to purchase this item. The price is a deterrent, but it is worth every penny! Convenient, sleek, and durable.