Add a Photo

Sierra nevada torpedo extra ipa beer bottles 12 oz, 6 pk

Photo (1)
Dominique L.
Dominique L.

A somewhat hazy bright copper with light tannish uneven foamy head. Medium retention. Lace and legs aren't worth mentioning. Oh wait, I just did. There's almost no smell to this. Caramel and resin if anything. More resin on the palate, but leaning towards herbal, brothy, or spicy even. Decent malt presence in terms of both grain and caramel, with a delightful vegetal and minimal iced-tea hop finish as well as expected peppercorn retro-olfaction. Superb balance. Medium-bodied, kind of watery, but oh so sudsy as it lingers. Fun to slosh between teeth and tongue. A good beer if I've ever had one. Also an overrated beer if I've ever had one. And I'm a huge fan of Sierra Nevada. Strong suits are definitely taste and feel, but even those are just on the high side of basic. The hops do most of the work here, even though they aren't very "apparent." You could add these same hops to a bottom-shelf English Pale (like Bass), and get more or less the same taste. Mind you, I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. In any case, this mouthfeel is still far afield. Know this: was I to rate it on drinkability alone, it would garner a 5/5.
Mary O.
Mary O.
Summerville, SC

Ok, don't let the 4 stars fool you, this company is amazing, their beers are amazing, but as with anything, not everything is for everyone. IPAs used to be my favorite beers, but my tastes have changed and while I do enjoy one from time to time, I don't prefer them over other styles anymore. However, my husband and I visited the new(ish) Sierra Nevada brewery location in North Carolina a few months ago, and this was one of the beers I tasted. It really was amazing, and far less bitter to me than some IPAs can be. It's pretty smooth, and has a good body, without being overwhelming and would be a great IPA for anyone who hasn't tried one before. The company itself is amazing, so I would recommend anyone to dig into the background of the company!
Danielle P.
Danielle P.
Brentwood, CA

I expected more out of this beer. I would rather have sierra's original pale ale although the torpedo does have a 7 abv vs 5.5, however when it comes to ipa Founders centennial or Bells two hearted wins me over. Still this a delicious beer if you have it. I prefer only getting it when it comes in variety packs but would never get it on its own unless you never tried it. Sierra has a black iPa that out does the torpedo as well does their hoppy lager. But I must say this beer is perfect for spring, summer, and fall months. It is delicious with its bitter hops but just doesn't excite me as others on the market. And yes it's best in a tulip glass and color is a golden orangish brown color. It also tastes good straight from the bottle.
izzy c.
izzy c.
Spring Valley, CA

This was one of the 1st ipa's easily accessible before the big beer boom a few years ago. It was also one of the 1st ipa's I'd had. From the first sip I was hooked! Extremely bold and full of hoppy flavor, if you don't enjoy a crisp, hop taste this beer is not for you. Very refreshing, but can be very heavy as well. Pairs great with a lighter meal or snack foods. I recommend to anyone looking for an inexpensive, flavorful extra ipa. Don't let the scenic sierra Nevada labels fool you this beer is a wickedly strong!
Molly U.
Molly U.
Cincinnati, OH

Great beer for anyone that enjoys IPAs. I first got into Sierra Nevada pale ale. After purchasing the pale ale a number of times I decided to pick up the Torpedo at the grocery store. Another winner from Sierra Nevada. I really like this IPA because it appeals to a wide variety of people which makes it a great IPA for parties and get togethers. It's smooth, not too bitter or hoppy. Its the perfect blend.
Carrie P.
Carrie P.
Metairie, La

IPA beers are gaining popularity. Sierra is constantly putting out the beers that are quality and worth the money. The beer here has a very weedy taste along with high hops. The bitterness of the beer adds to the complexity along with the taste of citrus. One of my favorite things to eat with hoppy beers is crawfish. The spice of the crawfish in the bitterness of the hops contrast perfectly.
almendra c.
almendra c.
Stockton, Ca

Having lived in Chico for five years, I've tried most of their varieties and the Torpedo is among my favorites from Sierra Nevada. This beer will be too intense or "bitter" for anyone whose accustomed to lighter beers or Pilsners, but if you like bold beers, give it a shot. It's not at all like its Pale Ale, but if you like the Pale, you should try the Torpedo Extra IPA next.
Sarah M.
Sarah M.
Temecula, CA

Since I am not usually one to go for the IPA's, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. Wasn't too strong, as to not be enjoyable, but the high alcohol content got the job done! It was easy to get down the road at the local party store, and is something that I would definitely get again. Nice enough to offer when having guests, or wanting to treat myself to a nicer beer.
Nicole H.
Nicole H.
Myrtle Beach, SC

With Torpedo being a Pale Ale, it goes down very well, the hoppiness doesn't take over the taste of the beer in itself, it isn't overwhelming. It is a 7.2% alcohol intake which isn't high but for a Pale Ale it's right where it should be. The price isn't to steep, under 10$ i believe for a 6 pack. If you're into IPA's j would definitely give it a try.
Savannah P.
Savannah P.
Austin, TX

Sierra Nevada is one of the macro-breweries that really are able to knock IPA's out of the park. When it comes to IPAs I look for a good hop presence. I love how there is a nice floral punch to this without being overly bitter. I also love how affordable it is. For a easy-to-drink, easy on your wallet IPA, I definitely recommend Torpedo!
Keith A.
Keith A.
Durham, CA

Is Torpedo too hoppy/bitter for you?
Catherine L.
Catherine L.
Bronx, NY

Is this any Good? Bitter? Sweet?
Renesha R.
Renesha R.
Gastonia , Nc

What does it pair with for food?
Sharon S.
Sharon S.
Oakwood, GA

What is the average price for this?
Ashley W.
Ashley W.
La Verne, CA

How do you think this sizes up next to a stone ipa?

Join Now