SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen Grow & Restore Leave-In Conditioner

BY SHEAMOISTURE #13 in Leave-In Conditioner

Buy now on ULTA
and get 2.5% CASH BACK with
powered by

Descriptions:

Helps Nourish, Repair Grow With Shea Butter, Peppermint Keratin 2 Jamaican Black Castor Oil 3 Sulfate Free Color Safe Cruelty Free Certified Organic Ingredients For natural, chemically processed, color treated or heat styled hair. This reparative leave-in conditioner helps soften and detangle hair while controlling frizz. Perfect for those who regularly color, straighten, perm or heat style their hair, as well as kinky, curly or wavy natural styles. Formulated with Jamaican Black Castor Oil and certified organic Shea Butter to help nourish, moisturize and support elasticity so hair resits breakage when detangling. Conditioners help provide a protective layer that improves the appearance of split ends. Peppermint stimulates the scalp for an invigorating experience. Organic Shea Butter: Helps deeply moisturize while conditioning hair and scalp. br Jamaican Black Castor.

• What products do you use on your curly hair ? I use Shea...3 Answers
  • SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen Grow & ...3 Answers
  • I just bought this and I wanna know how good it is for th...1 Answers
Buy on ULTA*
Erica P.
Morgantown, WV
I always thought that leave-in conditioners were a joke.  My hair is 2A-to-3A curly, fine, on the thinner side of normal, and easily weighed down by pretty much everything.  Before discovering the Curly Girl method, if I didn't rinse out every last iota of conditioner from my hair, I was doomed to look like a greasy mess.  Even the leave-in conditioners I had before made my hair look good that day, but then made me a grimy mess the next day that required washing out.  (Turns out silicones are not good for my hairtype.  Who knew?)

After learning how to take care of my curly hair with the CGM, I considered revisiting the idea of leave-ins.  Initial products I picked up didn't work with my hair.  They sat on top and made my hair look stringy and drier than it already was.  As dry and almost coarse as my hair was, the recommendation of this product by the /r/CurlyHair subreddit was unanimous.  I was skeptical.  This seemed like way too much, but /r/CurlyHair redditors said that it was not as dense and heavy as it looked or sounded.  Just to be careful to use a light hand.

My hair soaked it up and looked like a million bucks.  My hair was shiny, soft, and my curls were, as they say these days, poppin'.  I was really impressed and used it religiously during the dry, harsh Appalachia winter.  It kept my hair in fantastic shape.  I have found that this is too much for humid weather like summertime, so I reserve it for chillier seasons.

Now, the recommendations of using a light hand are spot on.  You get a huge tub of this, but you don't need very much if your hair is like my hair.  I am not a woman of color, so I can only speak for my experiences as a frizzy-haired white girl.  A little goes a long way.  I separate my shoulder-length hair into four sections.  Right side from the left side, then each section with the top layer separated from the bottom.  I dip the pad of one finger into the cream, then rub that amount between my palms.  I apply with the "praying hands method" with extremely light hands to a palm-length portion of my ends.  Then slowly add the slightest amounts up the length of my hair, only moving my hands down the strands and not against.  I do not put any of this in my roots, because even a hint of it will be too much and will loose greasy.  After each section is done, I let it all back down and scrunch it all together.  After that, I can apply gel or mousse if I so choose to really encourage curl formation, but many times I didn't, and my hair still looks put together.

SheaMoisture has a gem here and I am glad to see their products showing up in more accessible places!
Jaimielyn B.
Aurora, CO
As someone with straight Caucasian hair, I want to start this review by acknowledging that this was likely not the product for me, but I wanted to share this just in case someone with my similar hair type was considering this product.

My hair is straight but dense and on the thicker side. I only wash my hair once or twice a week, but living in Colorado, I deal with dryness. I also color treat my hair so I want to keep it healthy and moisturized. I picked up a small bottle of this at TJ Maxx after I saw a friend use it. The product smells delightful, which was what first drew me in. I applied the product after towel-drying my hair and it glided on well and helped detangle my hair.

When I woke up the next morning, my hair felt nice and soft, but I noticed that my roots looked oily. Nothing a little dry shampoo couldn't fix but it is disappointing to have to use that on first day hair. I do like how the rest of my hair feels and my split ends do look diminished today. I think the keys for me will be to keep the product away from my roots and use it will a light hand over the rest of my hair.
Caz H.
Fort Worth, TX
I am Caucasian with waist length very wavy/curly hair, that’s greasy at the roots and dry at the mid length and ends. (Obviously - it’s fairly old at the ends and needs love).
I hated this this when I first got it. No matter what I did, it dried on top of my hair, adding no moisture, and leaving it ‘crispy’. I tried using a little, using a lot. Wet or nearly dry hair, combed through, scrunched. It made no difference. So I stuck it back in my cupboard and forgot about it.recently, I dug it back out and thought I’d use it as a protective conditioner on my lengths while I’m shampooing my scalp. It works okay like that, but I decided to give it a last try as a leave in conditioner.
i combed a small amount through the lengths, and then I added some hair oil over the top. (Argan oil in the first instance, but any have worked. Just a little over he top works wonders).

Wow! Full moisture, lovely curls and absolutely no crustiness. If you find this product sitting on your hair, or crusting it up, please give the oil on top method a try.
Nita S.
Boerne
I started my natural haircare journey with Sheamoisture products nearly nine years ago. Their products (especially the Coconut&Hibiscus style milk and Raw Shea Butter Shampoo/Conditioner) transformed my dry, frizzy hair into beautiful, healthy curls. For nearly 4 years I used this JBCO Leave-In as my only styler. It had wonderful ingredients that managed to penetrate my low-porosity, protein-sensitive curls and it has a watery consistency which absorbed into my fine strands effortlessly. This was my HOLY GRAIL styler UNTIL...the ingredients changed a few years back. Now the product has a thicker consistency with different ingredients :'( Unfortunately this new leave-in just sits on top of low-porosity curls, and it no longer hits that perfect protein-moisture balance, leaving my curls feeling dry and straw-like. I really hope that Sheamoisture with bring back the original formula, it was absolutely perfect!
Daniella A.
Orlando, FL
Before I start let me talk about the type of hair I have. I am mixed, therefore I have thick, smooth, very textured hair. This product was one of the only products that have hydrated my hair, not left it clumpy, and allowed me to leave the house with my hair wet. It smells great, applies great, and gives your hair an extra shine that is just amazing. Now I would say to be careful with what hair texture is using this. My sister who is also mixed but has pin straight and voluminous hair tried this product and it left her hair very oily. As a test, I also tried it on my other sisters hair, which is like mine, but much more rough and textured. Her hair sucked the moisture right up like mine so I believe that it is meant for more textured hair than straight.
Adriana G.
Los Angeles
First of all i have to start by saying this leave in conditioner has restored my super burned and chemically treated hair to the beautiful bouncy curls I had before straightening my hair everyday, sometimes two or tree times a day to keep it straight. At first I was put off by the smell of the conditioner but if you can get past the mildly playdoh smell, then you would love it. Remember a little goes a loong way. If you put too much on your hair then it might feel a tad bit heavy. I would totally recommend this product to my friends and family.
Valerie M.
I used this line while my hair was dyed but also was impressed with how well it did transitioning back to my natural ginger. I had bleached the ends multiple times and then stripped the black from the top and after only 2 weeks you can see in the picture that I have absolutely no split ends. Plus it helps it grow faster so my natural color will be back in full!
Ccaylonna Elaine H.
York, PA
Smell: Amazing! No sulfates, parabens, synthetic fragrance, synthetic color, phthalates, no mineral oil, paraffins. This product also claims to be cruelty free. This product leaves my dry curly hair soft and shiny. I apply when my hair is damp so it can absorb it better. This product has shea butter, Jamaican black castor oil and peppermint. You can smell the peppermint. It is a thick peoduct and hydrating so if you have hair that gets greasy easily or straight hair you may want to use this as a deep conditioner or try the rest of the conditioners in this line. However you cans till use this with a light hand. Seeing how this is thick it could be it is amazing in thick curly hair that lacks moisture. I use this with an oil and im good to go.
savannah f.
Oviedo, FL
this is my holy grail of hair care products. this leave in conditioner is my favorite. i also use it everyday, or whenever i was my hair. it really has helped my hair be stronger, but what i also realized was how shiny, non-frizzy, smooth my hair has been ever since i started using this leave in conditioner. also a plus is that it has helped my hair be more curly and tamed. :) love this product and will be rebuying when i’m all out
Mikaela B.
Houston
No sulfates, parabens,phthalates, propelyne glycol, mineral oil, petrolatum and absolutely no animal testing. This saved my hair. It was a dry, and damaged from years of coloring and straightening. I have used this with my curly hair and I finally got my curls looking healthy again. My hair doesn't look like a big mop of split ends when I straighten it. It has increased the thickness, elasticity, strength and overall health of my hair. I will say that if you plan to straighten after you use this, go easy on it or it may look oily Use their SheaMoisture Argan Oil & Almond Milk Smooth & Tame Thermo-Protect after using this a small amount of this product if your going to straighten your hair. Shea-moisture is underrated. I recommend this to all hair types. Learn how to make it work for you, because it will (Please note that I am bi-racial so results may vary depending on your hair type andd health)
Amy H.
Kelso, WA
Where can you buy this product?
Praise E.
Salem, MA
I'm currently transitioning, so for people who have natural hair: does this help provide moisture?
Malaisha G.
Conyers, GA
Where can this be found ?
Betty H.
Is this product really good for curls and does it leave ur hair greasy or not ?
Alexia G.
Fairfield, AL
does this product leave a sticky film on the hair?

back