BY SHEAMOISTURE #5 in Bar Soap

African Black Soap, Made From Palm Ash, Tamarind Extract, Tar And Plantain Peel Has Been Used In Africa For Centuries To Treat Eczema, Acne, Oily Skin, Psoriasis, And Other Skin Ailments. Combined With The Healing And Hydrating Properties Of Shea Butter, This Healing Soap Should Be Used Daily To Balance And Resolve Problem Skin. Tested On Our Family For Four Generations. Never Tested On Animals. Certified Organic Ingredients.

SheaMoisture African Black Soap w/ Shea Butter
  • "I have acne prone skin and to be honest I don't think this really helped it it didn't make my acne better or worse it just stayed the same but I mean it's okay for cleanser." in 6 reviews
  • "The bar lasts for a long time and I even use it for my back as well its gets rid of back acne as well." in 5 reviews
  • "Good things to say about this but I'll start by saying I have really sensitive skin and I suffer from eczema and this does a really good job with cleaning and clearing my skin without being too harsh and I think the bar lasts for quite a while" in 5 reviews
  • "He smells great and I'm happy because it's an all natural product that's cruelty free too!" in 5 reviews
  • "my skin has finally given up to the scourge of trying EVERY body wash, EVERY bar of soap, EVERY sensitive skin product promising it's non-comodogenic, won't clog pores and won't irritate." in 5 reviews
Lyndsay N.
Kansas City, MO
I've struggled with acne since I was a teenager, and now that I'm in my 20s, having acne is even more humiliating. On top of having unsightly blemishes on my face, my back was covered in ugly and very painful deep cystic blemishes. This soap has literally changed my life, and I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that! My back is completely cleared up, aside from the occasional blemish, and my face is 95% better than it used to be! I can't wait to try more products from this line! I recommend this soap to all of my friends with problem skin, and I've even purchased bars of it for some of my patients. I hope this soap NEVER gets discontinued, I'd be heartbroken. It sounds silly to say that over a soap bar, but I literally couldn't sleep on my back because the acne hurt. I couldn't press my back against a chair without pain, itching, and even feeling some pimples pop against my shirt, which is gross and embarrassing in public. I can't say enough good things about this soap!!
Rachel F.
I have pretty problematic skin. I have eczema, so it can be tough to find a good body wash option. Generally, I've used liquid ones, but a lot of those are too drying and it feels like they run out really fast. This soap was recommended to me because it's supposed to be good for your skin, especially dry skin like mine. At first I wasn't sure about the scent (initially it was like cherry chapstick but after a couple of uses it went away for some reason?) but it grew on me, because it mostly just smells clean and a little like oatmeal. It lathers well and feels good, and even after you rinse it off, your skin feels protected. Not like there's some kind of gross coating, just like a nice barrier to hold on moisture. Using it over the summer, I've hardly even needed moisturizer and I feel like my skin has gotten happier having used it. My first bar is nearly gone (it got so thin in the middle that it actually broke in half!) and I'm definitely going to get another!
Melissa D.
Highland, CA
I bought the larger bar of soap that doesn't say "organic" on the label. I know that this is meant to be a facial soap to help curb acne but I was watching a YouTuber mention that she used this soap to wash her high end brushes. I tried it with my high and and drugstore brushes and I can confidently say that it works!!

I don't like to use dish soap for my brushes because it completely dries the bristles out, and I don't like to add olive oil into the mix because I feel that the oily reside never goes away. I didn't want to splurge and spend the extra money on higher end brush soaps like the beauty blender liquid or solid cleaners.

After using the African black soap for a month know, my brushes have not dried out at all!!! And you don't need much for the soap to lather. My brushes get complete clean with this soap and a huge block of it costs just under $5.

It does have a faint scent, smells like licorice. But the smell goes away after you rinse out your brushes.
Hilary F.
Enon Valley, PA
This product is a literal godsend. I have been suffering from both cystic acne and psoriasis for over 10 years and have extremely sensitive skin. I have tried prescriptions (oral and topical), facials, lasers and just about every product you can find and NOTHING has worked as good as this soap! I'm still in shock that such a simple product has made a huge difference.

Every morning in the shower I use this to wash my face (and the liquid version to wash my body), I then use the toner and moisturizer. Two times a week I will use the scrub and then once a week the mask. I wash my make up off at night with Bioderma and then use PanOxyl (a face wash). It has become the winning combination! I have been doing this for about two months and I rarely get a breakout, right now I'm just trying to get rid of scarring. I also have psoriasis on my body and scalp so I'm going to try all of their african black soap products! Thank you so much Shea Moisture!
Kristi b.
Marietta , GA
I started using this about a month ago for my face. I have acne prone skin and I was just curious about. At first I was like yassss. My face felt so clean after using it and I even noticed it helped with my oily skin. I was in love. I was only using it once daily in fear that it might dry my skin out (I did still use a moisturizer afterwards). After a week of use I started noticing these weird break outs. I was getting these huge cystic pimples that were SUPER painful and noticeable. I thought first that it was hormonal because I have had a few in the past and usually it was around the time of my monthly gift. So I kept using the bar in hopes it was counteract and help with it. Boy, was I wrong. I kept getting them and one became four and I also got these tiny red bumps all over my cheeks. I immediately stopped using the bar. I think my skin was allergic or something, maybe. I hadn't changed anything else in my skin care. Weird.
krystal p.
E Stroudsburg, PA
Due to my skin conditions of Keratosis Pilaris and eczema I decided to seek the internet for some help to not only soothe my dry skin but to also heel it. I heard that "African Black Soap" is something that people with Keratosis Pilaris use to smooth away the bumps. Trying the Shea Moisture Organic Bar helped smooth my skin condition. The bumps are not fully gone, but they are smoother and not as inflammed. The soap also helped my facial white heads and took out excess oils. With that being said, the soap is drying for those who have dry skin. What I do to diminish over drying my skin is simply using lotions and body butters to replinish and hydrate it. It has ridden my white heads and smoothed away my bumps on the body. The two cons that I can think of are the over drying effect and the fact it gets a little messy in the shower because of the dark pigment. But other than that, this product does its job!
Bailey M.
I have been using this soap for about 6 months now and it is amazing!! Since I have been using my acne has almost completely gone away. It has done wonders for my skin. It also leaves my skin with a moisturized feel and an almost glowing look. It is very weird because looking at it it looks like it would smell strange, but it has a very nice subtle smell. It's almost floral. Th soap itself is very gentle, but it does have small bits that are harsh. I'm not sure what they are but they are almost like very, very small pebbles. It feels wonderful on the skin. I do have very sensitive skin and most bar soap will make me break out, but this doesn't at all.

One recommendation is to but this at Ulta. It is $5 for a large bar. Plus they have their but one get one 50% off. As well as their coupon for $3.50 off. I did see this at Target the other day and it was a much smaller bar for $3.
Nicole H.
Kyle, TX
I've used literally everything for my combination/acne prone skin and nothing helped more than this soap bar, I've been using it for about 3-4 months I cut it in to 8 cubes to keep it fresh. It lasts forever I've used almost half of the entire bar, I've noticed my skin isn't as oily and I do not break out like I used to just the occasional 1-3 zits around my period also I used to have really bad hyper pigmentation and this soap has worked wonders for that (main reason why I bought it), my acne scars are nearly completely gone. I use it in the morning and at night mornings with cold water followed up with grape seed oil for mosturizer and neutrogena clear face sunscreen. At night I wash with Luke warm-warm water then I use Mederma advanced night cream on any scaring/dark spots and grape seed oil all over. I have gotten fantastic results from this regimen, definitely recommend.
Jeanie D.
Lawrenceville, GA
I absolutely dig this product. I'd previously reviewed a Shea Moisture product for Influenster and picked this up on a whim at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I love it for breakouts. When I started using it, I was having issues with breakouts on my chin and within days, this cleared that right up. It definitely pulls all the gunk out of your face and leaves it feeling smooth. It smells quite nice too, and there's something very satisfying about the grey-ish lather.

The only issue I have is that it dries out the drier parts of my skin. I have combination skin with very oily t-zone and more regular skin on my cheeks, so this has slightly irritated my cheeks (but that's very likely my fault for overuse). If you have drier or more sensitive skin, I'd probably only use this a couple times a week because it's so powerful! Otherwise, I'd totally recommend it!
Mindy O.
Dayton
Having tried, and been disappointed by, many medicated cleansers I was looking for something different yet effective. Recommended that I tried using African black soap.
The African black soap was a little more pricey then your average bar soap however it was on par with what you would pay for a facial cleanser.
My initial reaction to the African black soap was the scent was wonderful and the bar itself quite large. The first time I use the soap my skin felt very clean. Also, suffering from rosacea I worry about changing products. Typically I will break out we're having inflammation 4 days after I change products. My skin did not seem to be inflamed by the African black soap. If anything it may have been calmed by the soap.
I'm looking forward to seeing if the African black soap not 9nly calms my Rosa cease but helps reduce my breakouts.
Jessica D.
Lamont, CA
I really want to try the soap is it good for your skin?
Angela J.
Is this good for your face?
Brenda G.
Wellness Guru Expert
What is your favorite Shea moisture bar soap?
Tyler S.
Will this cause my skin to dry out?
Lacy P.
Spring, TX
Wellness Guru Expert
Where can you purchase? I am willing to give everything a test!