BY SHEAMOISTURE #21 in Face Masks

SheaMoisture's African Black Soap Clarifying Mud Mask draws out dirt and congestion while helping absorb excess oil and improve the appearance of troubled skin. A proprietary blend of African Black Soap and Raw Shea Butter help to clarify, balance, and soothe blemish-prone skin. Skin feels purified and refreshed.Made with natural and certified organic ingredients. African Black Soap is a natural remedy for blemished, troubled skin.Tamarind Extract is a natural astringent which helps exfoliate and brighten skin. Tea Tree Oil promotes healing with naturally anti-septic properties.

Ingredients: Water, Kaolin, Bentonite, Glycerin (Vegetable), Glyceryl Caprylate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Panthenol, Allantoin, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Shea, Butterate, Sodium Cocoate, Theobroma Cocoa (Cocoa) Pod Ash, Maleleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Tamarindus Indica Fruit Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Bran Extract, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Oil, Musa Paradisiaca Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Ethanol, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend)

• I currently use the Shea Moisture African Black Soap Bar to clean...2 Answers
  • Definitely need to try! Where can you get it?3 Answers
  • Did anyone else experience stinging when they used it?9 Answers
Anna D.
TN
Beauty Junkie Expert
I'm not going to lie, my expectations of this product were pretty low when I first saw this product. We sell it at the department store I work at, and when I saw a one-time packet, I decided I would try it.

When I opened it, I was hit with the smell. I almost threw it away before I tried it because I thought it smelled horribly. However, I decided that since I spent almost $3 on this mask it was at least going to stay on my face for a while. After I started putting it on my face I got used to the smell and forgot about it. I realized that while I was putting it on it was stinging a little, but I figured that was just because it's for acne skin and my other acne products do that too. It wasn't unbearable and I didn't think it was doing any damage to my skin. After I washed it off (which I would prefer it to peel off, but I would always prefer my masks to peel off for easier clean-up) I was once again unimpressed. I didn't notice a difference, and I was getting whiffs of the mask all night long. I moisturized and went to sleep, certain I wouldn't buy it anymore.

I woke up the next morning, looked in the mirror, and was shocked. When I say my face looked good, I mean it looked GOOD. On top of having big red bumps that like to pop up around my chin and jaw line, I have a lot of acne that is just below the surface. The red bumps weren't completely gone, but they were considerably less noticeable. And the acne under the skin on my forehead and cheeks were gone. I haven't had skin this smooth in a while.

I 100% recommend this product to anyone who is having trouble with acne. I'm going to buy the big thing of this mask, as well as the other African Black Soap face products!
Denise G.
I've used this product one time so far, and I was a bit disappointed. I usually like Shea Moisture products a lot, and I didn't expect this one to be any different. The packaging was attractive, as was the description of the product on the jar. However, the mask itself wasn't. It's very thin and difficult to spread evenly. The smell was the worst part. It smells like rubber, like a car tire. Afterward, it didn't leave my skin feeling any cleaner or clearer. In fact, I felt like the product stuck to my blackheads, making the little spots darker and more noticeable. The only upside to this product is that, even though it sticks to your blackheads, it makes them SO easy to remove. Usually my blackheads are a lost cause, but this mask made them slide out like butter (I'm sorry for the TMI). If you used a pore strip after this mask, it would probably be incredibly effective (I have yet to try it, but I'm excited to). Overall, this mask would be a one, maybe two-star mask, but it's ability to bring blackheads to the surface redeems it and makes it a product that I'll at least use until the jar is empty, even if I won't repurchase because of the down-sides.
jaiceđź’“ j.
Spring Hill
Purchased at Target. When I first bought this mask I wasn't sure if it would be a good fit for me. I have fairly sensitive skin and sometimes masks can leave a bit of a red and burning rash on my face. However, after using this mask, I am simply in love! The smell isn't my favorite, it reminds me of playdoh honestly, which is why I give this product 4/5 stars. However, when it comes to be an effective product, this mask really does live up to its reputation! After using the mask my face feels so much smoother, calmer, and hydrated. I like to use it two to three times a week on days when I don't plan on wearing makeup, because it leaves my face looking that much brighter! I recommend this product to anyone! Whether you're looking to buy something new just to try it out, looking for a way to solve blemish problems, or just looking for smoother skin, this could really be a great mask to keep on hand for anything!
Abby H.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Once you get past the smell, this mask is nothing short of magic. It kinda smells like an old woman, but don’t let that scare you. This hydrates and purifies my skin (I love you, tea tree oil). Whenever my skin needs lots of moisture or is looking dull, this mask rejuvenates it. After buying the packets, I finally bought the tub. I use it multiple times a month, but it looks like I’ve barely made a dent in the container!
kyra e.
Florissant, MO
I love this product, it’s very messy to work with, but applying it on your face and leaving it to sit for about 10-15 minutes is the best feeling ever. The results are amazing too and the ingredients are the best for blemish prone skin. This is definitely my go to mask! And if you just want to try it, I know Wal-Mart and Ulta sell little mud mask bags(picture above) for like a dollar or two! Thats how I first got hooked.

jannett a.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Loved this face mask! Used it about once or twice a week and really started noticing a difference. I have cystic acne with red and textured scarring. I have oily skin and this mask helped make the redness and blemishes go down a lot. It also made my face not so oily throughout the day but it didn't like strip my oils completely from my face to the point where my face felt tight.
Nicole P.
Boca Raton, FL
I bought this mask cause it advertises good for dry skin, I bought it at my local CVS I was hoping it could add some moisture in my face that’s lacking, thought I do think it makes my skin smoother after application it kind of hurts and when it’s off it leaves my face very red and irritated and I only leave it on for the suggested amount of them. I like it, but I don’t know if I would purchase again.
Chantelle S.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I purchased this mask from Target. The SheaMoisture African Black Soap Clarifying Mud Mask was awesome for my skin in my T-zone! I like the creamy texture of the mask, it felt cool to the touch. I felt the mask left my skin feeling cleared of oils and funk from my pores without being overly drying. I used this mask when I had some stubborn breakouts and the mask helped my skin get clear! The smell is fine, not my absolute favorite, but it is not bad or overpowering. I could see this mask being fun for a girls night in or for using during the time of the month you get breakouts.
Tania B.
Loma Linda, CA
Beauty Junkie Expert
I think this product is really good but I prefer some of their other products more. I got the small packets from Walmart and they were pretty affordable! The formula is really smooth and goes on really nicely. Not a particularly good scent but not terrible either. I did think that my skin was hydrated afterwards and had the illusion of smaller pores!
Nashia R.
Philadelphia, PA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Review for: SheaMoisture African Black Soap Clarifying Mud Mask with Tamarind Extract & Tea Tree Oil 0.5 oz
Another wonderful product from SheaMoisture I used almost all of their products especially for my scanner and also my hair I love this mess it was very very good because it left my skin very clean feeling I felt like and washed away all of the dirt that was trapped deep down it was good because it had tea tree oil in it so that's always a plus
Abbie H.
Did anyone else experience stinging when they used it?
megan t.
Indianapolis, IN
I am looking for a good mask. Does this dry your skin out?
Marlene G.
N Las Vegas, NV
How long and how many times a week do you use this?
Michelle C.
Los Banos, CA
How long to you wear the mud mask for ?
Laura L.
Does this product excessively dries out the skin?