Shane Dawson X Jeffree Star Mini Controversy Palette In Hand

A palette so good, it's almost controversial. Made in collaboration with YouTube star Shane Dawson, the Mini Controversy Palette from Jeffree Star Cosmetics features a versatile selection of cool blues, rich purples, and soft neutrals.

Do any of these stain the eyelids?
okay so I have the mini however I haven’t started using it yet. Do the colors stain your eyes?
Do the blue shadows stain?
Start your review of Shane Dawson X Jeffree Star Mini Controversy Palette In Hand!
Shane Dawson X Jeffree Star Mini Controversy Palette In Hand uploaded by Jamie B.
*This is a biased review since I am a fan of both Jeffree and Shane, but I’ve never used JSC eyeshadows before.* The first thing I did upon arrival of this palette was swatch all of these! They are super buttery and pigmented. The palette contains 6 matte shades and 3 satins. The first look I created was using the shades Cry On My Couch, Diet Root Beer, and Controversy. I created a super basic look that I would wear most often using the neutral shades all over my lid and blended out into my crease, with a pop of color as a subtle liner. I did not use a primer and was so disappointed by how crumbly and uneven Cry On My Couch went on. (I own a lot of other palettes and most of the time don’t use a primer.) Diet Root Beer worked just fine though, and so did Controversy as my liner. I was just honestly so underwhelmed after using the palette for the first time. I also had staining from Controversy. And there was kickup in the pan, but after tapping the excess off my brush I didn’t have fallout on my face. I have had the palette for a month now and have learned that it requires some work. A primer is ESSENTIAL for getting these shadows to apply and blend well, and to help prevent staining. It also helps with longevity, but that’s an obvious perk. Also, natural hair brushes have been the best tools to use with this palette. Honestly, I’m still having a hard time working with the satin shades though. Using them wet doesn’t make much of a difference, and they want to stay on the brush not transfer to my eye. The fallout is rough if they are dry though. Finger application doesn’t work well for me either. Removing the shadows with micellar water is really easy and I haven’t had any staining as long as I use that and primer. All the shades are super pigmented. This palette works well on its’ own, but there are only so many looks I can come up with. I’m mostly going to be using the two neutral matte shades though. In the photo I used Exposed and Controversy for an easy colorful look. Overall, I’m not obsessed with this palette or formula. I did mostly buy it as a collection piece though and to support Shane.
Boonville, MO
Shane Dawson X Jeffree Star Mini Controversy Palette In Hand uploaded by Ashley K.
I'd like to honestly give 3.5 stars but that wasn't an option. I am still playing with the pallet and this is the first Jeffree Star Pallet that I have ever bought. Swatching the colors the felt very smooth and buttery! The colors were really vibrant as well. Finally sitting down to play some looks and thought that I would two looks since I was not going out so I could look crazy lol. My first look it included the shades cry on my couch, diet root beer, my apology, and my boyfriend's purse. Cry on my couch and diet root beer were perfect and very pigmented... Exactly what you expect when buying something from Jeffree Star. When I got to the shimmer shades I felt very under whelmed because when swatching they looked amazing. Putting them on my eyes my apology just stayed on the brush and wouldn't come off of my brush on to my eyelid. then what I could get on my lid it was so patchy and tugged. It just didn't look good. My boyfriends purse... I am so displeased! Putting it on my eyes it was SO CRUMBLY and it was like it lost its sparkle. I am really glad that I did my foundation after the eyeshadow because when I brushed it off there was pigment all over me. Moving onto the next look I played with exposed and controversy to do a cut crease. Exposed same with the other mattes were amazing, buttery, and pigmented. when I was playing with controversy I had to build and build up the color to the vibrant electric color that I wanted and there was one point that it was patchy. I did order the main pallet and I can't wait to play with it when it comes in but, I am going to keep playing with Jeffree's formula. Shane Dawson X Jeffree Star Mini Controversy Palette In Hand
Long Pond, PA
Shane Dawson X Jeffree Star Mini Controversy Palette In Hand uploaded by Mona M.
These palettes were INCREDIBLY hyped. I have both the conspiracy palette and this mini controversy. I’ll start by saying I LOVE Shane Dawson and his work, but I’ve never purchased from Jeffree star before. I’m more of an Anastasia and Urban Decay wearer but I wanted to support Shane’s efforts and I have heard Jeffree Star has a good shadow formula. That being said, I think the mini controversy has an interesting color story. The shadows are nice independently, but I find it a little challenging for my skin tone to put together a wearable look (for my taste) without reaching for another palette. I think it would really benefit from dropping a pastel or or one of the blues to put in a darker neutral matte shadow to mix with and deepen the other shades. The formula is decent— the shimmers glide on beautifully and effortlessly. The mattes are pigmented, but there is a learning curve with them— you have to pack on the pigment with patting motions and then blend verrrrryyy gently with a separate brush to avoid patchiness. I did throw together a funky little look for this Star Wars party I went to yesterday using this palette, but I did have to reach for the conspiracy palette for the black shade to add a little dimension where I needed it.
Asheville, NC
First off, for a mini palette, this one was massive lol! Much bigger than I expected, in a good way. My husband and I were impressed by the large pan sizes, even for a mini palette! It is our first Jeffree Star palette purchase, and using the metallic shades, I understand the hype. They were the softest, silkiest, most lightweight formula I think I've ever put on my eyes. No fallout, effortless, great pigment payoff. My one quarrel (and my husband who follows more of a punk aesthetic and wears eyeliner and eyeshadow also agreed with me) is that the vibrant blue matte shade has a ton of fallout, so much so that it was hard to control where it ended up on the eyes, even after tapping our brush. It was hard to use as a base to create an initial shape with because it kept moving and ended up on areas of the eye you didn't want the color. Otherwise, a great and fun palette for the price!
Big Spring
Honestly this pallete is beautiful and you can really tell how much time and thought was put into it! The colors, gorgeous. The pigment, unreal. The design, completely iconic. Although some people complained about the color scheme, if you're someone who loves to experiment or step out your comfort zone, this is a great palette to start off with because it also includes neutral colors. The best part is the shadows are very forgiving, and also buildable If you love this pallete, you should definitely look into the conspiracy palette or even the blue blood palette. Some people have reported some colors staining their lids but personally I have had no issue with that ever in my past.
Lake City, MI
I was so unbelievably hyped up for this pallet. On launch day I waited for 6 hours to purchase this. After I finally got to buy one I had to wait a month for it to come in the mail. As soon as I got it I tried it out. I was mesmerized by how beautiful it was in the pans. The little pictures pressed into the shadows are beautiful and unique. However, the pigment is terrible and there is so much fallout in the pans and on my face that I dont even want to use it anymore. The dark blue shade chipped away almost immediately leaving a huge chunk missing. I love shane and Jeffrey so I'm still going to continue to support them and their brands but I'm definitely let down this time.
Shane Dawson X Jeffree Star Mini Controversy Palette In Hand uploaded by Selena C.
I have not used all shades yet (i haven't used the 2 blue shades), but I have swatched them. Pigmentation is good. The shade "controversy" does feel very dry compared to the rest and had to be built up for the full color pay off(and also stains a little). The shade "cry on my couch" is a pretty nude but it is almost exactly my skin color so I don't know how well it'll work on me. This is a common problem I have with nudes... they match my skin so well that it looks like I didnt apply anything and are kinda pointless for me to use. There is quite a bit if fallout when using a brush but it's not too big of an issue. Overall pretty happy with it!
maitland , FL
I LOVE this Palette. All the colors are beautiful, and of course Jeffree Star's formula is one of the best. My Apology, Diet Root Beer and Controversy are my favorite shades. This palette is fun to play and experiment with. I'm rating it 4 stars only because the shades are not super versatile/forgiving. The looks you can create with this palette are mostly bold and adventurous (which is not a bad thing!), but If you want an everyday wearable palette that gives you lots of versatility, this isn't the one. Overall this is so great. I love both Shane & Jeffree and I hope they release another palette together someday. Highly recommend!
Russell, KY
Shane Dawson X Jeffree Star Mini Controversy Palette In Hand uploaded by Jessica J.
Shane Dawson X Jeffree Star Mini Controversy Palette In Hand great palette, love it. I got mine with original launch. So one with diet rootbeet shade in center. Found out today that once preorders ship this palette will change the middle shade will be (bring it back) the green shade they took away that we seen in reveal. Soooo the original will be limited edition an cant buy no more so if u hv this put it up!. Also jeffree will be selling the green shade as a single for those of us that dont want to buy the mini again. Love this collection very pigmented , blends like a dream. Long lasting
Indio, CA
Shane Dawson X Jeffree Star Mini Controversy Palette In Hand uploaded by Brigette B.
Jeffree Star Cosmetics never disappoints! I wasn't going to order either palette in the collection because the shades didn't seem like ones I'd wear, but omg I'm glad that I reconsidered. This palette is gorgeous! I created a look last night that left me knowing that I also need to get the Conspiracy Palette afrerall. Shadows blend like a dream,they are so buttery. Shadows are also very pigmented,, as are all of his shadows. Just proves again that the Jeffree brand is perfection. Jeffree and Shane knocked it out of the ballpark with this collection. Highly recommend.