BY MAYFAIR GAMES #8 in Games

Enjoy family fun time with the new version of the settlers of catan board game. It's a trading and building game with a fairytale theme. Players have to gather resources to build settlements and cities. This board and card game has many unexpected twists as you roll the dice to determine the resources you'll need. As the player develops the city, he or she gets more points. They're allowed to trade their resources with fellow players to build houses, lay roads and settlements. This versatile trading and building game comes with dice, cards, scoring chips, tokens and wooden pieces.

Buy on Target*
  • "It's great for many reasons, but my favorite reasons are that its a new game every time, and that games can take a really long time or a really short time depending on how many people are playing." in 6 reviews
  • "I never thought this game would be much fun for me because all my male friends got into it the same way they do with video games." in 5 reviews
Sandra G.
Sandra G.
Birmingham , AL
My family has this game, and we all like it. The kids particularly LOVE it.

The things that *might* give you a hang up; The base set of the game only accommodates 4 players, If you have a larger family than that... like we do, you need the *extension* set also, which makes it cost a bit more to play.

That said, the game is totally worth it. My kids have learned so much about planning, about how societies develop, what sorts of things are necessary and the time it takes to grow a civilization. The base game is actually very simple in concept, but there's so much to do! If you wish, there are "expansion" sets. These are not different versions of the original game, but ways to introduce more factors into your game - like seafaring voyages and exploration. Sometimes I cannot even keep up with what's from the original game and what's new, but the instruction booklets are really helpful and once you jump in and play, you are on a roll.
jacob s.
jacob s.
Ferndale, MI
This is a really good introductory game for people interested in learning about modern board games. A lot has changed since the days of Sorry! and Monopoly, and Settlers of Catan is a really easy to teach example of the European approach to board gaming that has taken off in the last decade. Players vie for control of various commodities, and engage in trades, while also developing a randomized landscape. The game has a great balance of luck, strategy and diplomacy that keep it feeling fresh for many repeated play sessions. Eventually my group grew a bit tired of this game and moved on to more complex options, but I still appreciate the role Settlers played in sparking one of my favorite hobbies.
Meghan C.
Meghan C.
Pasadena, MD
This is one of my favorite games. It's ways to get the hang of and every game is different. I love that you can talk and socialize during game play, but it still requires of strategy and thought. It's a great family game as well since kids could easily learn it. It is pretty pricey at $50 but I have no regrets about the game. I picked mine up at Barnes and noble and have also seen it at target. I also love that you can buy expansion packs to change the game and add more players. You can't go wrong when choosing this game.
D X.
D X.
A great game, but not my favorite out of all my fiance's european board games! :) I don't know if it's because it's too cliche (everyone seems to know what Catan is haha) or because of the game play.

The most intriguing and unique part of this game is the negotiating you have to do to get the items that you want. It's not just a rolling of die that determines who will succeed! Very cool A+.
Sara S.
Sara S.
This is an awesome strategy game that will leave your group hilariously arguing about wheat and sheep. Adults will enjoy this game, but it may be too complicated for small children to understand. Make sure you set aside enough time to play the game, as it can take anywhere from 50 minutes to three hours. It's great fun!
Joyce L.
Joyce L.
Keene, NH
My husband dominates in this game and it is almost aggravating how he always wins. I am never fast enough to get a port, and am always stuck with too many of a resource I don't need. :( Still, this is an awesome game, and we love breaking it out when we hang out with friends.
Tiffany B.
Tiffany B.
Easily my favorite board game. I prefer to play with 3 people rather than the full 4. The game is over a little sooner and the board doesn't get quite as crowded. Games that are influence too much by chance drive me crazy. In Catan a good strategy can take you far.
Steven T.
Steven T.
Wichita Falls, Tx
The game that really started it all for me.

This game is a great introduction into the new world of hobby board games. It is a super simple game to teach but has a lot of depth and replayability due to the randomized setup.
Ashley O.
Ashley O.
Raleigh, NC
This game is fun, ever changing, strategic and worth every penny if you love a solid strategy game. It can bring fourth arguments among families because of the competition, but it's so exciting to play! One of a kind.
Amanda D.
Amanda D.
Dayton, TN
I love Settlers of Catan! Such a fun game, great for small groups. We have an adult game night every Saturday, we pull this game out at some point every weekend. Easy to set up and
Learn. Great value!
Jennifer T.
Jennifer T.
Silver Spring, MD
How long would you say your average game takes?
Sarah S.
Sarah S.
LOVELAND, OH
What is your favorite expansion out of the group?
Kathleen T.
Kathleen T.
What do you need to start playing this game? Is there a basic board we should get first? How many expansions are needed? Thanks!
Amanda L.
Amanda L.
Etters, PA
Is it worth getting the expansion packs?
Catherine A.
Catherine A.
South Berwick, ME
Does anyone know where you can find the custom handmade boards? I've checked etsy, but I didn't see the artist that used to be on there anymore :(