Sense and Sensibility (Special Edition) (Widescreen) (DVD)

by Columbia Tri Star

Actress Emma Thompson both wrote and stars in this adaptation of Jane Austen's SENSE AND SENSIBILITY-a novel that perceptively examines the social manners and laws of early-19th-century Britain. Set in the English countryside, the film follows the loves and heartaches of sisters Elinor (Thompson) and Marianne Dashwood (Kate Winslet). The two have extremely divergent approaches to life: Elinor represents "sense" and believes in behaving with propriety and thoughtfulness, while Marianne represents "sensibility" and basks in her own emotions. Both women, however, experience confusion when their lovers, seemingly on the verge of proposing marriage, spurn them. For director Ang Lee, the film marks a break from his Father Knows Best trilogy, which examined the problems of the contemporary Taiwanese family. Many people questioned whether an Asian director could handle an English period film. Lee answered those questions with a gorgeous film that both captures the nuances of Austen's novel and proves that Lee is a first-rate director capable of tackling any material. Featuring Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman, among others, the stellar cast inspired Lee to flatteringly exclaim, "Can everyone in England act?

No one has asked a question yet! Be the first!
+ Ask a question
Start your review of Sense and Sensibility (Special Edition) (Widescreen) (DVD)!
How would you rate this product?
Brooklyn, NY
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Sense and Sensibility (Special Edition) (Widescreen) (DVD) uploaded by Ani J.
This book is such a good read, especially if you want something to learn. Dramatic and witty, this is the first novel I've read if Jane Austen's (and I'm only 13) and is an Aga saga. If there was one thing I enjoyed about this book, it is the way it uses the morals and values of English country life. Never try to win a traitor's heart! Another thing I liked is the building up of the characters. Overall, it is the best book I've read so far. I'd recommend it for anyone!
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
La primera de las películas basadas en las novelas de Jane Austen. Un final inesperado y Féliz. A veces el amor toma formas que no esperamos y sobre todo no es sólo pasión sino más bien abnegación. Es hermosa y los personajes también fueron bien interpretados.
Wilmington, DE
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
So lovely movie ... and what a cast ! In Jane Austen's book some details are different... but we know that in movies directors are changing somethings ... i loved how director saw whole story ,his view is interesting . Especially emotional parts- every character's story was so interesting. We saw their developement and logical ending
Santiago, Provincia Cordillera
Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, and Hugh Grant; very nice cast for a movie whenever you want one. I think the plot should have more speed, maybe because nowadays the viewer doesn't have attention span enough to keep up with the actor more than enough. However, I believe this movie was meant lowkey to shine a light on Ms. Thompson and leave the rest of the cast astray, producing some very good scenes with her and leaving the cast very little room for their own shining. That's why I won't give it full 5 stars... Anyway, worth watching for the scenery alone and enjoying your senses more than one hour straight.

Looking for your answer?