BY STEVEN SPIELBERG

Steven Spielberg directed this powerful, realistic re-creation of WWII's D-day invasion and the immediate aftermath. The story opens with a prologue in which a veteran brings his family to the American cemetery at Normandy, and a flashback then joins Capt. John Miller (Tom Hanks) and GIs in a landing craft making the June 6, 1944, approach to Omaha Beach to face devastating German artillery fire. This mass slaughter of American soldiers is depicted in a compelling, unforgettable 24-minute sequence. Miller's men slowly move forward to finally take a concrete pillbox. On the beach littered with bodies is one with the name "Ryan" stenciled on his backpack. Army Chief of Staff Gen. George C. Marshall (Harve Presnell), learning that three Ryan brothers from the same family have all been killed in a single week, requests that the surviving brother, Pvt. James Ryan (Matt Damon), be located and brought back to the United States. Capt. Miller gets the assignment, and he chooses a translator, Cpl. Upham (Jeremy Davis), skilled in language but not in combat, to join his squad of right-hand man Sgt. Horvath (Tom Sizemore), plus privates Mellish (Adam Goldberg), Medic Wade (Giovanni Ribisi), cynical Reiben (Edward Burns) from Brooklyn, Italian-American Caparzo (Vin Diesel), and religious Southerner Jackson (Barry Pepper), an ace sharpshooter who calls on the Lord while taking aim. Having previously experienced action in Italy and North Africa, the close-knit squad sets out through areas still thick with Nazis. After they lose one man in a skirmish at a bombed village, some in the group begin to question the logic of losing more lives to save a single soldier. The film's historical consultant is Stephen E. Ambrose, and the incident is based on a true occurance in Ambrose's 1994 bestseller D-Day: June 6, 1944.

Kelly Y.
Kailua, HI
A great war movie! It's beautifully done and very well acted. The story flows well and it's all relevant for a long movie - nothing that seems to drag on or be a waste of your time. Definitely realistic and worth watching if you've lived under a rock and haven't seen it.
Francisca G.
Staten Island, NY
This is a great movie. I will say that the scenes look realistic and bring home what a huge sacrifice all service men provide. The soundtrack was good. the acting was swell done and the story will make you cry. My favorite scene is when they find private Ryan .
Alaina T.
This movie bored me to tears. Maybe i'm just not into war type stuff or even action necessarily so this movie didn't do anything for me. Most of my family enjoyed it when we watched it together but I was asleep halfway through. Thankfully no one noticed and I got a nice two hour nap in.
Sheana S.
Fosters, AL
Just cant get all the way thru them movie, not my thing I guess but it was not interesting enough for me to finish watching. Was disappointed because I know people you are totally in love with the movie and rate it very highly. Wish I could get into it.
Anna C.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I went to see this when I came out and I can understand why so many veterans had a hard time watching it. The beach scene was very poignant and every American who went to see this film came away with a better understanding of what those brave men endured. I bought this movie when it came out on DVD and got the same chills when I watched it in my own home theater. I enjoyed the movie immensely and thought the acting was well done. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys war movies or history . Tom Hanks did an exceptional job one of his best performances.
Caity C.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Don't expect to watch this movie without shedding some tears! This film is so emotional, it really puts you through all the action the soldiers experience. One of the best war films I've seen.
Tiffany M.
RICHLANDS, NC
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Excellent movie!! You get a realistic look into the life of our soldiers, the obstacles they face, the lengths they go to locate one of their brothers in wartime. It's truly a gut wrenching, tear jerker. The cast is impeccable! A must see.
Daisy L.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
My favorite war movie or among the top 5 for a reason. It absolutely combines love, humor, history, action, drama, and Matt Damon who role plays too well. Time to bust out the popcorn and turn those speakers up! Prepare to be wow-ed!
Kaylee M.
N Hollywood, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I remember watching this for the first time my sophomore year in my history class. I typically don't like movies like this but I have to say this was directed really well and was an overall outstanding movie!
Vanessa M.
Colorado Spgs, CO
Have to give this the best rating ever! this movie is a classic and the actors they picked helped tell the story. every one involved made this film what it is. never met anyone who didn't like it. must see.
Carolyn H.