Saving Private Ryan

by Steven Spielberg

Steven Spielberg directed this powerful, realistic re-creation of WWII's D-day invasion and the immediate aftermath. The story opens with a prologue in which a veteran brings his family to the American cemetery at Normandy, and a flashback then joins Capt. John Miller (Tom Hanks) and GIs in a landing craft making the June 6, 1944, approach to Omaha Beach to face devastating German artillery fire. This mass slaughter of American soldiers is depicted in a compelling, unforgettable 24-minute sequence. Miller's men slowly move forward to finally take a concrete pillbox. On the beach littered with bodies is one with the name "Ryan" stenciled on his backpack. Army Chief of Staff Gen. George C. Marshall (Harve Presnell), learning that three Ryan brothers from the same family have all been killed in a single week, requests that the surviving brother, Pvt. James Ryan (Matt Damon), be located and brought back to the United States. Capt. Miller gets the assignment, and he chooses a translator, Cpl. Upham (Jeremy Davis), skilled in language but not in combat, to join his squad of right-hand man Sgt. Horvath (Tom Sizemore), plus privates Mellish (Adam Goldberg), Medic Wade (Giovanni Ribisi), cynical Reiben (Edward Burns) from Brooklyn, Italian-American Caparzo (Vin Diesel), and religious Southerner Jackson (Barry Pepper), an ace sharpshooter who calls on the Lord while taking aim. Having previously experienced action in Italy and North Africa, the close-knit squad sets out through areas still thick with Nazis. After they lose one man in a skirmish at a bombed village, some in the group begin to question the logic of losing more lives to save a single soldier. The film's historical consultant is Stephen E. Ambrose, and the incident is based on a true occurance in Ambrose's 1994 bestseller D-Day: June 6, 1944.

Is this a good film?
Is this a great movie?
Start your review of Saving Private Ryan!
How would you rate this product?
Sheana S.
Fosters, AL
Just cant get all the way thru them movie, not my thing I guess but it was not interesting enough for me to finish watching. Was disappointed because I know people you are totally in love with the movie and rate it very highly. Wish I could get into it.
Crystal G.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
We really like this movie. I have seen it several times and is great. It is on the gorey side. I really like the cast.
Alaina T.
This movie bored me to tears. Maybe i'm just not into war type stuff or even action necessarily so this movie didn't do anything for me. Most of my family enjoyed it when we watched it together but I was asleep halfway through. Thankfully no one noticed and I got a nice two hour nap in.
Kelly Y.
A great war movie! It's beautifully done and very well acted. The story flows well and it's all relevant for a long movie - nothing that seems to drag on or be a waste of your time. Definitely realistic and worth watching if you've lived under a rock and haven't seen it.
Francisca G.
Staten Island, NY
This is a great movie. I will say that the scenes look realistic and bring home what a huge sacrifice all service men provide. The soundtrack was good. the acting was swell done and the story will make you cry. My favorite scene is when they find private Ryan .
Katie H.
Hamilton, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Tom Hanks is one of my all time favorite actors. I have loved just about every single movie he has played in, and Saving Private Ryan is no different. This is definitely a must see movie.
Caity C.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Don't expect to watch this movie without shedding some tears! This film is so emotional, it really puts you through all the action the soldiers experience. One of the best war films I've seen.
Taylor F.
Springville, NY
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
As someone who is really interested in movies that depict historical events, I really liked this one. I’m a big fan of Tom Hanks and loved his performance in this one. The opening scene is incredible.
Kristen D.
Haverhill, MA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This is such a good movie. The acting is just amazing and the production just makes you feel like you’re there. Tom Hanks gives one of the best performances of his career. (Although he has so many great ones). A must watch and an instant classic
Yahaira O.
Murrieta, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This was a great movie. My husband & I enjoyed it a lot. I got a bit emotional when I saw it. Recommend it